Luminar 3.0.2. is here

Comments

136 comments

David Martin

Or darktable or RawTherapee ..... lots of options out there really I guess ....

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Huggins

I've been using FastRawViewer in conjunction with Luminar 2018 and Aurora. Its limited to raw files but great for culling and managing the raw files.

Gal Steinberg

@david - for me it is not about the model, it is about the workflow, Luminar provides better tools for me via LR for editing, and I like to apply those to multiple photos in a click of a button. 

After I edit one, I apply to 10-15 images from the same sequence, this is what I was excited about in the first place, before, I would spend 30 min editing a photo, and had no way to implement those edits to other photos. 

Jerry Hall

This has been a good thread.  My earlier comment for some reason didn't make it in.  Here is the substance of it.

Since this thread is focused on Mac,  why not Photos as a Dam?  Key words (1-5) and Favorites work well to rank photos. A full range of logical operators work on fairly extensive Exif data, albums, date range, description, title and more within a smart album.  I very quickly cull "not favorite" and mass delete tossers using a working smart album.  Navigation by memories, faces, year, is of value too.  Icloud and time machine  provide dual backup.  Getting a new Mac was easy, the Photos library was all there overnight from iCloud.  Multi device integration is a real strength.  Photos library has been rock solid and error free for me over several years.

I realize round trips to L18 extension and back to Photos results in a flat JPG, which is a bother for my very best images that inspire continued edits.  But I can always revert to original, and/or keep LMNR files for the small percentage of "project" files in a cloud mirrored Mac folder system, or make minor changes at the JPG level.  Photos can be used as an index to these files by name need be.

What else important is Photos missing?

My big concern is that L3 will not be fixed before L18 conflicts with new Mac OS releases, and in any case is no longer supported for bugs and new cameras and lenses.

I wish L3 were decoupled from Libraries.  It is a shame that a good concept is running afoul of library and Win ambitions, and discouraging what I imagine is Skylums large core of Apple based users.

Kirk Osborn

Hi Jerry,

We are going to release updates for Luminar 2018 in the future.

To use Luminar 3 omitting Libraries feature, please open your images through File > Open Images for Quick Edit.

Richard Kane

I am continuing to use Luminar 2018. I have no problems with it, performing perfectly to expectations. I have abandoned Luminar 3 completely and await Skylums comprehensive and total resolution of what is a catastrophic failure. Hopefully they will release a completely glitch and bug free version when possible. As of now, best to stay away from Luminar 3 completely. Nothing should be this hard!

Anders Svensson

@Kirk Osborn, good news that there will be updates to Luminar 2018: quick edits in Luminar 3 are no substitute for me as long as edits are only stored in a catalog.

Yes, I know lmnr projects will eventually be restored - although no one can say when - but it's not a good sign that Skylum has so little regard for backwards compatibility for them to be removed in the first place.

I'd far prefer a Luminar 2019 to Luminar 3, an improved editor without Libraries.

Michael Battista

I would agree with the idea of a Luminar 2019 without libraries. The library seems to be the biggest cause of problems in Luminar 3.

Jerry Hall

Or at least continue to sell L18 on the web site, describing it in SpaceX terms as the "Flight Proven" version and L3 as a "Developing Version" and show the Road Map.  Emphasize free upgrade when the Road Map is full-filled, or at any time in the interim.

It is not good business to sell a development version when a stable back release is available and widely used.  Customers who want to help prove out L3 can do so and be appreciated.  But Skylum should be upfront about the situation.

I would like to recommend L18 to a friend, but see no way they can buy it.  

Skylum needs more time for L3, needs to retain current customers and to attract new ones.  Some sort of clear well communicated strategy apart from the current one is needed.

No shortage of advice from this forum is there?

Fitz Michael

I think they should fix Luminar 3 before they release anything. No one will buy 2019 or 2020 updates

Jerry Hall

@Kirk Osborn,  Could you clarify your statement "We are going to release updates for Luminar 2018 in the future." in light of Angela Andrieux statement 20 days ago in thread "Luminar 2018 vs Luminar 3:

"Hi Bruce,

We are no longer updating Luminar 2018. However, we are still providing support for Luminar 2018 and are happy to help you troubleshoot your issues with the Photoshop plugin. You can contact us at www.skylum.com/supportand we'll get it sorted out."

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Jerry, 

I am sorry for the confusion. 

We are indeed going to update Luminar 2018 within some time. 

René Lutz

Hi,
    Exporting Nikon D810 RAW files with simple edits to JPG is about 10 times slower the LR classic!
    40 Files took 19 Minutes!
    Much too slow, sorry!

Jerry Hall

Hi Anna,  Thank you for confirming that L18 will be updated in some manner some time.  So can you start to offer L18 as an option at purchase/install for those that want to be cautious and wait for L3 to mature?  

Colin Grant

It would certainly be useful to understand where Luminar 2018 now sits in the product line-up. Is it an alternative for those who do not want the Library or is it legacy software that will get a few updates whilst L3 is so unreliable. Also what does "in sometime" mean Anna and what will these updates be?

Ron Standley

I initially was also having crashes (Mac Mini late 2012, 16gb). I used the delete/reload procedure and it has been running OK so far. Here is what I have been testing before I commit. Also I have been getting used to the DAM, seem useful for the way I am testing.

Excuse all the quotes in the following, just trying to label folders for this example. Also you may all know and have tried this already.

I create a folder "Flowers". Inside this folder I put a folder with the source files "Flowers Files", containing multiple sub folders "Tulips", "dandylions", etc. I then start L3 and create a new catalog named "Flowers Catalog", selecting the location in the top folder "Flowers".  The Flowers folder now contains two folders, "Flowers Files" and "Flowers Catalog".

I then start L3 by double-clicking the .luminar file contained in the "flowers Catalog" folder, and let L3 index all files in the "Flowers Files" folder. This method gives me separate catalogs, this example for Flowers, instead of one humongous catalog covering all picture groupings.

When done I have separate L3 catalogs for each major grouping of files, Flowers, Waterfalls, Beaches, etc.

Working so far with my testing being done on an external scratch drive. Fingers crossed...

Please sign in to leave a comment.