Luminar 3.0.2. is here

Comments

136 comments

Rex Matthews

@Kirk Osborn, thanks for the suggestion and the clue about holding down the Option key at startup. Didn't know about that. However, wouldn't doing a simple restore of a backup (assuming it worked) have the effect of deleting all the edits I've done since the date of the restored backup? If so, I'll just have to let bygones be bygones. I've done some work in 3.0.2 since the upgrade date (when I lost the edits from the 3.0.1 catalog) that I would not now want to sacrifice.

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Huggins

@Rex Matthews.I also lost all my 3.0.1 edits. This was at the soft launch. I sent my catalogue to Skylum nearly two weeks ago and they said they will try and extract the edits. Still waiting.

Blair Govan

Best advice. Don’t use/install as Skylum smsuppirt and their suggestions are ridiculous. Wished it were not the case, but it is. Skylum needs to be held accountable for Luminar3 and its poor and it unusable performance. It would actually be nice if they would acknowledge all the users impacted.

Fred Briggs

Thanks for the tip Blair. 

Colin Grant

Well said, Blair. The app is garbage, nothing else describes it, and yet they still advertise it as though it were the dogs thingies!.Skylum must be completely deluded or they don't care so long as the cash comes their way. I have not only lost faith but also trust.

Richard Kane

I've lost count of the number of times I've uninstalled with app cleaner, re-downloaded, re-installed.....always the same result. Complete and total failure of L3 to function. My L2018 is still working perfectly. I will stop trying now, it's pointless and we need Skylum to completely rebuild this product so that it works. Just don't have the time or energy to keep doing this. Very disappointing, Skylum! We need a new version completely, L3 has been a disaster from the start!

Blair Govan

Well so far Skylum seems to have their heads in the clouds. No response from Skytacceot lame support requests wanting the user to follow a bunch of steps to fix their mistakes. Ironically the steps don’t fix the mess they designed. My respect and belief in this product has hit an all time low. Come in Skylum, tell all of us who supported you what you are doing to remedy this disaster.

David Medeiros

I don't think it's fair to ascribe any malicious intent on the part of Skylum. And I'm certain that what we see as periods of inactivity on our end is FULL of activity on their end. I think they just need to do a better job of evaluating the situation and communicating with their customers. I am a little dumbfounded that they released a product like L3 without knowing how buggy it was going to be and it makes me wonder what their QA process is like. It is obviously not thorough enough. I can't see them doing anything like a recall as there are obviously some (many?) users who are having no issues with L3, but it may only be the ones who are not using the DAM. I'd  love to see a little more transparency from Skylum as well, but I think they are working to fix these issues. 

Colin Grant

@David, so it is not malicious to sell a product and to continue to promote a product that is not even worthy of beta status? It is not malicious to take money for something that is fundamentally flawed and not to admit to those flaws upfront?

Anastasia Davis

Guys, we do work on all the known issues. Surely, we couldn't fix them all in one update. All the bugs are evaluated in terms of priority. 
    Our product is young enough. Thus, every day we are working on the improvements. We believe in it and hope for your support as well.

Colin Grant

That with respect @Anastasia is not the issue. The issue is that the bugs were and are apparent in what is supposed to be software ready for prime time. What do we get for the inconvenience? Users have even lost their edits in that monstrosity you call a Library. Why?

The product is not young. Luminar has been around a while now. The Library is young so perhaps you should withdraw it.

Blair Govan

Anastasia,
    We all get there will be some bugs. These are not small bugs. It’s great that the Skylum team is working daily in fixes at your end. However, that does not change the fact that many of us are not able to use. For me unusable. I am a huge fan of Luminar and it’s future potential. When it works, it’s awesome. But not so much at the moment. All we ask is transparency and an acknowledgment from Skylum. And less marketing and more resources applied to repairing the damage. Then market away!!!

Michael Burns

Love the concept of this software but not loving the continuous problems.  I am unable to run Luminar on my imac because it crashes on startup.  I followed the teams suggestion to do a clean install of the software and it worked great the day I was using it.  Now it has been 2 or 3 days since I tried to start up the software and it is back to the same old thing, crashes on startup.  I am not a professional photographer so I am not going to spend tons of money on various software packages and be hostage to companies requiring me to purchase a yearly subscribe to their product.  I just want a reliable stand alone software package that allows me to catalog my photos and keep track of them and do a fabulous job of editing my photographs.  At this point my frustration level is climbing. 

Anastasia Davis

@Colin You are right, Luminar with libraries is a young product. In spite of the issues, we have positive feedback as well. That is why we won't stop and will only move forward improving the app.

@Blair Thanks for believing in Luminar potential. Resources spent on marketing and development are different. That is not the case. Also, we are trying to be as open and honest with our customers as possible. If you need any info, just ask.

@Michael That is strange behavior that Luminar started to crash on startup once again. Please reach our customer support stating that fact and we will investigate it further.

Colin Grant

No - it is not young. You promised the DAM back in 2017 when Luminar was launched and here we are in 2019 with something that does not work and which you have the nerve to charge for. Just look at these forums and Facebook, the level of complaints is immense and you know it. Please do not hide from the fact that you got this so wrong (I have even heard that from an Affiliate). Admit it, get that CEO of your's to tell the truth. Oh yes and can you explain why I now keep getting my sub folders duplicated? It is a random event but it nevertheless happens and not infrequently.

Colin Grant

Following on from last post -

Started Luminar and all my sub folders were duplicated. Terminated and restarted - duplicate folders had gone and things looked like they should except all my edits had vanished? I know I can restore from a back up but that is not the point. This should not happen. What is wrong?

Fitz Michael

Fixed the problem with Luminar 3.

Open the AppCleaner
    Drag Luminar 3
    Clean the Trash
    Reboot
    Then the PROBLEM IS GONE
    LUMINAR 2018 IS WORKING PERFECTLY AT THE MOMENT :-)

Michael Burns

What happened to all the nice lens corrections that was in the previous version (3.0.1).  All I have now is 3 auto correction selections, lens distortion and devignette.  I thought the lens tools in 0.1 were very useful.  On another note, this version is painfully slow as noted by several other posters.  I continually get long periods where I have the turning pinwheel on my mac.  I occasionally get that with other programs but usually when I just have a ton of programs open.  I normally run luminar with everything else shut down.  Either luminar is a memory hog or I am missing something.  I have a full 16 gig of memory so I shouldn't have that much problem.

Angela Andrieux

@Colin Grant - I think I responded in another thread a day or two ago about your missing edits, but in case I didn't please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate the problem. Thanks in advance!

@Michael Burns - The lens correction tools haven't changed between 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. Are you referring to the transform tools? If so, you'll find them in the RAW Develop filter in the Transform tab. If you're searching for something else please reach out to www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Oscar Benschop

Hi Skylum, when is the next update (version 3.1 ?) planned?

Since the update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 Luminar crashes much less on my system, but that is the only positive thing I can mention.

I lost, like many others, all of my edits when updating to 3.0.2. Luckily enough I exported all the edited photo's before updating and there is no need to re-edit them again, so I can live with that fact.

Biggest issue here at the moment is that I have to restart Luminar several times before it gets my complete catalog of about 54.000 photos. Today when I started Luminar it told me that my catalog contains about 7.800 photos. Lots of folders/subfolders were unlinked AGAIN (greyed out). I refuse to relink those folders every time again when I want to work with Luminar. Thats a bad thing for a DAM. Restoring a backup catalog does not solve the problem, next day same issue.
    Restarting Luminar one or more times most times give me back my complete catalog, but next day same problem.

On top of that: the start-up process takes so frustrating long EVERY time! While "updating image gallery" 0%... to 100 I can easily make myself another coffee. As we speak, while I am writing this post, Luminar is already 10 minutes updating the image gallery and still showing 0%. And that while NOTHING has changed sice yesterday. No new photo's, no new folders...   :-(

This has become a totally unusable product. An update that fixes the problems stated by the people in this forum should be FIRST PRIORITY and we need it soon!

My system is an iMac 27" 5K (late 2015) 4 GHz i7 with 48GB's ram and AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB. It's running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    When starting Luminar I have no other 'heavy' program running and over 32GBs free for Luminar. That should be enough imo.

Helena Carter

Hi Oscar,

I'm so sorry to hear with your experience.

Currently, there's no ETA for 3.1.0., but we're improving Luminar 3 performance with each update.

David Medeiros

Helena,

These are not performance issues, these are major bugs that make L3 unusable for what seems to me, based on the FB pages and these forums, like a sizable group of users. It may be that Skylum is working furiously to id the causes and fix them behind the scenes, but the messaging makes it seem like L3 is going to push forward as is, for whatever group of users who seem to have no issues, and the rest of us are more or less on or own.

My personal experience with support has been great, except I seem to be stuck in a loop with recommendations to do a deep un install and re install, followed up by a request for my machine specs when that fails, followed by a recommendation to remove the Catalog and let L3 rebuild it. None of this works, and I've been through it at least 3 times now with support (and more on my own). The feeling is again, that although I'm getting good initial help, no one really knows what to do or what to look at besides these very basic canned recommendations.

Helena Carter

David,

Currently, we're investigating the issues some of our customers have encountered. Even though some of these issues have no solutions or timelines for the fix so far, we're working on it. We're working hard on collecting all the information and providing the steps which might help. Even if they don't, it helps our developers understand where the problem hides.

We really hope for your cooperation and patience.

Have a great day!

Douglas Carlyn

Immediately crashes on startup, multiple OS versions and different computers.

David Medeiros

Thanks Helena,

I know you guys are working hard on these issues and I appreciate it. For my part, I'm trying to give Skylum support whatever info or files I can (repeatedly) from my machine to help them solve at least some of these problems. My crash issue is very predictable which I'd think makes it a great candidate for the dev team to use for pin pointing causes. But I'm not a software dev or QA person.

Continuing to cross my fingers, but unless there is some new communication from support to suggest they are closing in on real solutions in an quickly upcoming new patch, a lot of us are running out of options for asset management and will be forced back over to Adobe.

Fitz Michael

I hope the next released is tested before go live. It looks like the last update very poor and needs to fire whoever tested the last update. I deleted lumina 3 and using Lightroom and Aurora 2019 and that setup is working perfectly.

PETER DAPRIX

I am not a long time or intense Luminar user, I use it as a plug in to Photoshop a lot but just for limited features. I was not able to update 2018 with the update, so downloaded the full L-3 and installed it that way. So far, I have not had any problems with crashing or anything else in the few tests I have done with it using it as a stand alone app. Exporting an adjusted file seemed a little strange since it was saved but the Export window stayed open and showed no progress. But it had.

I use a 2015 15" i7 MacBook and use my external hard drive to process all my images. Also I do not use the Library at all. I like to have manual control over where my images are stored and how. I read so many people are experiencing crashes at start up before you even work and others with loosing the Library links. I am wondering if the Library feature is what is causing so much of the problems. Using it as a plug in to Photoshop is a delight with no crashes at all. And I don't use Lightroom's Library feature either for the same reason.

I just drag my images from either Adobe Bridge or directly from my files onto the Luminar Icon and they open up fine and very quickly. The only quirk is the Export behavior. But my sympathies go out to all of you who are having these problems since the mid term update of the AuroraPro 2018 gave me the same hair pulling issues until the 2019 version came out.

Colin Grant

Peter, my experience matches yours in that Luminar 3 works fine as a plugin and therefore probably as stand-alone. The Library is a nightmare and should never have been released and it is so feature poor that to be honest Mac Finder can do a better job. I use Lr as my DAM, I am not sure why you feel it does not let you keep your images where you wish for mine are where I want them and Lr does not try and move them but that is an aside, as a plugin to Lr and Ps Luminar works well enough.

David Medeiros

RE the DAM or image Catalog in L3, this is the critical flaw in the software IMO. It looks to me like a lot of the users who are not experiencing serious crash issues are those who do not use the DAM at all or have very small libraries of only a few images. The DAM was probably what held up the release initially and I think Skylum was pressured by user demand to ultimately rush it out with L3 in what was a beta state at best. They must have hoped the final issues could be ironed out in a few quick patches and we'd be patient with them, but for some of us the bugs appear to be unfixable at this point. I really wish Skylum would separate the smaller bug fixes and their messaging from the larger DAM issues that some if us are having.

Richard Huggins

Luminar 3 was released before Christmas and Skylum is still investigating issues. WTF

Please sign in to leave a comment.