Luminar 3.0.2. is here

Comments

136 comments

Rex Matthews

@Angela Andrieux  See my original comments above in this thread. After working with it for a little longer, I've decided that 3.0.2 is significantly better for me than 3.0.1, even at the cost of having lost my edits from 3.0.1. The 3.0.2 version seems faster and less fragile and crash-prone than was 3.0.1 on my systems. To be clear, I'm running 3.0.2 on two systems: desktop is 27" iMac (2017), laptop is 15" MacBook Pro (mid-2015), both with 16GB RAM and macOS Mojave (10.14.3). I have the Luminar catalog placed in a Dropbox folder, and am finding that after a couple of hiccups it now seems able to switch between machines while maintaining contact with photos in other Dropbox folders that are synced between the machines. This was *very* important to me, and I could never get 3.0.1 to do this properly. So, I'd rather maintain that (and the other advantages that 3.0.2 seems to offer) rather than reverting to 3.0.1. So, next question: Is there any way to retrieve the information about my edits from the old 3.0.1 catalog (I suppose from the History folder) and integrate that information into the new 3.0.2 catalog?

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Kane

After at least 4 removes with AppCleaner, re downloads and re-installs, I now cannot even open L3. I get this -

So, I have once again removed L3 from my MacBook using AppCleaner and I await the next software update to try again....

I've wasted enough time on this now.

chetan panchal

looks like lot of issues are there since upgrade, for me after editing and applying any filter/looks, both image and looks panel are turning green in color. after restarting Luminar edits are gone, but images is normal.

Donna Rondeau

Just installed yesterday.

macOS 10.13.6 (cannot upgrade)

Application crashed, I forget what I was doing but now at relaunch it's stuck on Updating Image Gallery 0%, hasn't budged at all. I can't quit, I can only force quit. Won't let me select any images while it's supposedly updating.

Thoughts on this please?

Should I uninstall the program and reinstall?

Robert Lancaster

So a brief update now that I have been using the updated Luminar a bit more.  The new bug that I reported appeared after the 3.0.2 update disappeared just as randomly as it appeared.  I had reported that the "Show Original" button stopped working properly.  Well now it is working correctly again and I cannot seem to reproduce the issue.  Oh well, if I can figure out how to make it happen again, I will report the bug.

I also can report on another one of the bugs from the previous version.  There was a bug in the previous version where I would be using the crop tool and then I would try to apply the crop and all the controls would disappear and Luminar would get stuck,.  it didn't crash, you just couldn't do anything and would have to quit.  I had reported this issue a couple of weeks ago.  It happened one time today so I can report that this bug is not fixed.  But on a positive note, it really helps that when Luminiar is opened again, it is back in the same folder I was editing before.  This way, if the bug happens, you can just quit, reopen, and pick up right where you left off.

But as I said in the last post, the new update runs more smoothly, quickly, and has solved a number of bugs.

David Medeiros

The new update has had no effect on my stability issues. L3 continues to crash after 1-2 minutes of simply browsing my library. 

Is anyone else having this issue: L3 installs ok and creates a working catalog but browsing the catalog causes L3 to crash?

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034076091-Luminar-3-crashing-on-MacBook-Pro

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

We're very sorry for any problems you're having with the 3.0.2 update. We are collecting as much info from users on these issues as possible, and your help would be greatly appreciated. 

If you're having trouble, please send the following to support@skylum.com:

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your email.

Thanks in advance!

Edward Killesteyn

I have had all the issues already reported with L3, plus a few more, so I won’t repeat them here. What I do want to add is that the Skylum Support team are, in my view, highly responsive and doing their best to provide help. On every issue I put directly to them over the course of a very frustrating week I have always had a response within 24 hours, not bad given that I’m in Australia. That said, L3 is a dog. After much uninstalling and reinstalling using various techniques as described above by the support team, including using Mac’s Terminal, I have a stable L3.0.0 – it still has some quirks (eg incomplete rendering of the photos when attempting luminosity masks), but at least it isn’t constantly crashing. Bearing in mind that this all started with 3.0.2, I won’t be updating to that version — we had it available in Australia before it was released to others — I do hope that Skylum get on top of this because Luminar 2018 is an exceptional developers tool and it is a shame that it’s reputation is being diminished by this attempt to add organisation. Mac Photos will continue to provide that for me until the problems are resolved. 

Blair Govan

Tried a reinstall yesterday. Worked in first two attempts opening after that it crashes at the launch screen (with no error report)

This was definitely not ready for the general public. Hey Even the previous update on a Mac performed better than this. But again why pay for something that doesn’t work. Worst is Skylum seems to be not addressing this issue with the masses.

DAVID WAGNER

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" (late 2015) with the lastest Mojave 10.14.3. After starting Luminar after this update, it displays with this screen, about 5 seconds after opening. It doesn't actually crash, but I can't really do anything from here except select "Quit Luminar 3" or "Close" from the File menu (the other menu options that would allow me to import or open an image are greyed out). Note that the picture initially displayed, which was the last photo I was editing prior to the update, is located on my Synology NAS drive. I even made sure that the NAS drive and the directory where the photo is stored are accessible from Finder before I run Luminar:

Mark Quatz

Installed Luminar 3.0.2

Browsing through the pictures in the library mode goes fast, no problem so far.

However in the edit mode there is a problem. When I move to a next image, the image is immediately visible. But it takes 5 seconds or more before I can edit the image. After moving to a next image, the histogram shows normally but the filters are all grayed out. Then in the histogram, all the colors move to the left side. After a few seconds the histogram snaps back to a normal view and the filters are not greyed out and I can start edit. This process takes more then 5 seconds and happens on every image. That's not very usable when editing a bunch of images.

Rex Matthews

I have the same issue as Mark Quatz (above) except the delay for me is more like 15 seconds every time I move to a new image. I *think* what's going on is that Luminar 3.0.2 has to find the original image in the folder where it resides, then read the history of edits recorded in the catalog entry related to that original image and apply each adjustment in sequence to the original image in order to display the edited image with its history. If that's more or less right, this does provide nondestructive editing, as promised, so you can always go back and change the edit or undo something you did previously, but the process seems to take *way* too long, especially when multiple layers are involved in the edit. The export process also takes quite some time, but since I'm almost always using multiple layers (adding a watermark signature in a second image layer and often using one or more adjustment layers), the export delay (to a JPEG or whatever) doesn't seem so unreasonable. The time lag in opening previously edited images does seem excessive.

Ian Chou

Just installed 3.0.2. It is much more stable. I have not gotten the spinning wheel anymore. Switching between albums is fast and selecting an image to edit is fast. However, the initial load when it is updating the gallery still takes almost 5 minutes before I can start doing anything The progress bar showing the progress of updating the galleries always shows 0% and never updates.

The shortcuts list is empty until I click plus and deselect Recent Edits and then I have to re-select.

Helena Carter

To Everyone,

Thanks you for reporting all the issues and providing your feedback.

To the ones who have already sent email to our Support Team - we'll do our best to reply to you as soon as it's possible, but it might take us a bit longer because of an update and lots of email we receive. But we will definitely reply to all of them since your experience is a top priority for us.

For the ones who have not sent the email to support - please, refer to Angela's message where she has listed the information we will need to investigate and report your cases. We really hope for your understanding.

As soon as we find the solutions for you'we will definitely post them here.

You can contact us via support@skylum.com

Best regards

Richard Kane

I have done everything that Support email said and the outcome is exactly the same as all the many previous times I’ve done it –

Outcomes –

Opened L3 as stand alone -

Using L3 stand alone –

Opens up properly.

Unable to choose favourites from L Looks.

When in edit mode, edit menu does not appear (greyd out/inaccessible)

Closed L3.

Using L3 as plug in from Apple Photos –

Open image, edit, choose L3

Opens as expected

Choose favourites from L Looks

Application freezes followed by error report

Another image, open, error report immediately

Returning to L3 as stand alone –

Will not open, immediate "Luminar Quit Unexpectedly".

L3 will not open any longer, ceased any function.

I think we must all accept now that L3 is full of bugs and until the problems are properly addressed and corrected, it’s pointless to keep doing the same things over and over again.

I and many of the other users experiencing problems with L3 are experienced Luminar users. We know what we are talking about.

Luminar 2018 continues to work as expected as stand alone as well as plug in.

Terry Luckings

I don't know whether I've been lucky or not but I don't seem to be suffering from the issues that are being reported by others. I updated to 3.0.2 today and everything ran smoothly on my mid 2015 MBP, running OSX 10.14.3

The app opened correctly and showed my test image folder. This is a small folder on the MBP with only 5 images (my main folders are stored on an external drive). From these images it did appear that 1 or 2 edits had been lost, mainly cropping so no big deal.

I then connected my external drive and loaded its catalogue and again all went very smoothly and all images loaded. Navigating around the folders was quick although there is a lag when selecting an image and it takes upto 10 seconds for it to render correctly and the edit panel being available for use. No big deal just an annoyance especially as Luminar 2018 works correctly.

To my surprise it even opened a .lmnr file and apart from the time lag issue there did not appear to be any other issues. I know Skylum were working on opening saved Luminar 2018 files but did not think it was part of the last update.

However there is still the issue of installing and opening the Google Nik Collection plugins which I understood was going to be addressed in the last update, This has obviously not been the case. In case others are wondering what the issue is when trying to install the plugin all you get is a menu bar for that plugin with a large red screen. It is a bit of an anomaly as the same plugins install and work correctly (albeit a bit sluggish) on an early 2009 iMac running OSX 10.11.6 with L3. I have already reported this to the support team some weeks ago.

Robert Lancaster

Nope Terry, you aren't the only one.  Luminar 3 is working pretty much ok for me and it did in the previous versions as well.  I posted about the bugs that I noticed and how most have been rectified already.  But it works pretty much ok.  I have about 20,000 photos or so in my Luminar library and it pretty much works fine.  My system is a 2016 MacBook Pro.  My lag time in opening an image with all of its edits is about 5 seconds I think.

DAVID WAGNER

I was able to work around the problem in my previous post by selecting another image in Finder located on an attached external USB drive, and right-clicking "Open In..." and choosing Luminar 3.0.2. So my original problem appears to have been an issue with trying to load the last image that was located on a NAS drive (an issue which still needs to be fixed).

BTW when Luminar started, I got the "Let's Get Started" screen again, as if I had started the program for the first time, and there was a good 15-20 seconds where it seemed to hang while initializing (clicking "Next" did nothing). There was some more lag again, although not quite as long, on a subsequent screen (screen 4 of 9 I think).

David Medeiros

@ Robert Lancaster. I would love to compare machine specs and other setup variables with you. I'm on a newer MBP as well, 16GB, lots of HD space, macOS Sierra. My Catalog is only 1200 images and I crash every single time I try to browse my library. Have cleaned the L3 app and reinstalled fresh many times, no change in behavior.

Robert Lancaster

@ David Medeiros

So I have only very rarely seen a crash (less than 5 times since Luminar 3 first came out) and I have noticed that any time it does so on my system, it seems to be something related to a specific image.  If the image that makes it crash is still selected when it opens again, it will crash it again of course.  So if I encounter a crash, I have found that the smart thing to do is when it opens again, REALLY FAST click on another folder, album, or photo so it stops trying to load the image causing the issue.

As for my system, it is 10.14.3 Mojave, 2.6 GHz i7 processor, 16 GB LPDDR3 Ram

I would not be surprised if your issue was Sierra.  Sierra does have some bugs just like Luminar.  I've been happier with Mojave.

Also, you might want to find out WHY Luminar crashed for you.  Did you try running it from the command line or running Luminar using LLDB?  You can find out quite a bit about what is going on that way.

PETER DAPRIX

My comments don't seem to take. But I will try again since clearly some people are having a lot of problems and others are not. 

I use my faithful MacBookPro 15" i7 circa 2015 with 16GB running High Sierra (10.13.6) and so far am not having any problems in using Luminar 3 as a Photoshop plug in which is how I use Luminar. But then I have to premise that by saying that I have not yet given it any hard processing use.

I do not and will not be using Libraries by choice. I do not like LightRoom for that same reason. I do not want to manage my images and their folders from within the app. Probably too old to learn new tricks, but if that was entirely true I would not be using Luminar and AuroraPro so its just partially true. I like to manually manage my files. 

Also so far I only use Luminar as a plug in for Photoshop. I start in Bridge which has just been improved and open in Photoshop which has also had an update, and make my visual changes (color, contrast, skies, saturation, polarizing filter, vignette etc in Luminar then go back to PS to make my last adjustments that I find easier to make there than in Luminar and AuroraPro so far.

So I just opened up some images by dragging and dropping them from Bridge onto the Luminar icon in my Dock, and they opened up fine. But unlike when I use it as a plug in, it took time for the User Presets, or what are now called Luminar Looks, to register the new image. And when I slide the slider for saturation, the photo was replaced by a flickering red panel. At the last, the image stayed solid red. But when I went back to using it as a plug in for Photoshop, there were no issues at all. 

So for my workflow to date, I am entirely happy with the new version. But I can see that if I used Luminar as my opening app and main photo processing app I would be unhappy. I think sometimes that added bells and whistles can cause more complications than they are worth. But I have a feeling with all the problems this forum is ID'ing, the back end folks will soon find ways to correct the launch issues. We are all just very impatient and actually rightly so for a full launch version to work as it should rather than really being a pre-launch beta version that needs user testing especially for those that are buying this version rather than upgrading from their current version. I understand the desire to get a new version on the market right away, but it really needs to be working right before it is launched for sale. I believe AurorPro 2019 had teething issues as well. I was never able to use the AuroraPro 2018 1st mid term upgrade at all since it crashed on or before the 3rd image to be processed. But with the 2019 version all that was fixed. 

David Medeiros

Thanks Robert. I've been sending crash reports and screen casts to Skylum since the initial L3 release. Their devs should know more about what to look for than I will. I've considered upgrading to Mojave as an experiment, but concerned about other software I run for work that may be impacted, we usually wait a while for IT to test and officially approve the updates here.

FWIW, you may not be experiencing my exact symptoms, but what you describe does not sound stable either. I run some pretty taxing software and data on my machine regularly (Photoshop mutli image merges, huge Adobe Illustrator files w complex geometry, GIS software native and in a VM...) and I almost never get a crash with any of those unless I'm really hitting buttons too fast! I'd say 5 crashes in a month or so is too many for non beta software.

I hope my latest crash stats has something useful for the Skylum folks.

My system is pretty similar to yours besides the OS:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

David Medeiros

Risked it and upgraded to Mojave today. The library seemed more stable for a while, but ultimately crashed per usual.

Robert Lancaster

@ David Medeiros

Did you note which image it was on when it crashed?  Was it the same one it crashed on before?

Terry Luckings

@ David Medeiros

My machine spec is a s follows;

MBP Retina 15" Mid 2015, 2.8 Intel i7, 16gb DDR3, graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

Currently running Mojave 10.14.3

Apart from running the usual programs I use Sophos for anti virus etc and Clean My MacX

I have lost count how many times I've installed / deleted / reinstalled Luminar 3 since day 1 but that was not through crashes or library errors but the installation of the various plugins I have. One difference I have noted from all of this is the removal process. I did not use the App Cleaner recommended by the support team (but the CleanMyMac app which is a paid for version) and also deleted manually all remaining races of Luminar 3 from the library and preferences, even the file they say not to remove. Whether this has any bearing or not I do not know, but it worked for me.

Colin Grant

Did the update which went flawlessly. Seems speedier although not sure why it keeps updating the image gallery each start. The loading of edited images is also much better as is viewing changes by switching on/off a slider. Still so much functionality missing, especially in the Library,  that the software cannot be considered ready for prime time. Have already reported that it is not recognising lenses re Nikon D5100 and D5300 which is poor, especially as you have set up new cameras! Have yet to play with layers. So...better but far, far from complete.

Fitz Michael

Fixed the problem with Luminar 3. 

• Open the AppCleaner
    • Drag Luminar 3
    • Clean the Trash
    • Reboot
    • Then the PROBLEM IS GONE
    • LUMINAR 2018 IS WORKING PERFECTLY AT THE MOMENT :-)

David Medeiros

@ Robert, it doesn't crash on any given image. In fact Once I make it into the editing panel it seems stable but glitchy and slow. It crashes when browsing the library, no particular image selected. Seems time/memory cache based with the catalog previews.

Rex Matthews

My experience with Luminar 3.0.2 is closely similar to that reported by @David Medeiros (above). The crashes on my machine are not at startup, but seem to occur randomly when I’m moving fairly rapidly from image to image through the catalog. It feels like the program just gets overloaded and fails. My main storage folder (with subfolders) is on the internal drive of my iMac, 6855 images. Secondary storage is in a Dropbox folder (with subfolders) that is both stored locally and synced to my laptop, an additional 114 images. My installation of 3.0.2 seems more stable than that of some other users. The program does not crash on startup on my system. It is however very sluggish on startup, and when I move from photo to photo, the lag time in loading each new image and activating the editing controls for that image averages 15+ seconds.  The biggest problem I have is that the 3.0.2 upgrade eliminated all, and I mean all, of the edits I had done in 3.0.1. I have saved the 3.0.1 catalog, and have the support staff previously asked if there is a way to recover or restore the edits from that earlier catalog. I have not had a response to that question, which I guess is understandable, given all the problems the support staff is trying to cope with at present. If it’s not possible to recover the edits, that’s unfortunate, but it’s not a disastrous loss, as I had exported all the edited files to JPG files and those are safe (and backed up).

Kirk Osborn

Hi Rex,

Please try loading a backup:

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

Please sign in to leave a comment.