Luminar 3.0.2. Here's what's new.

Featured

Comments

63 comments

Alan Bee

Anastasia - thank you. Your workflow to get 3.0.2 to actually load has worked and I can now open Luminar3. Hope it is more stable than 3.0.1 which froze several times a night on me - most frustrating to put it mildly. Thanks again.

Comment actions Permalink
    Daniel Missud

Hello,

I this versions it's always impossible to launch Aurora HDR to work on picture and get the result in Luminar ???

I'm waiting for that from long long time :(

Have a good day

Dan

Zach Wagner

So overall I'm happy with the update. For me, it works generally faster and performs pretty well overall. However, I will contribute something to the 'issues' portion of the conversation (I have a couple... also I am on a PC, Win 10):

1) Chromatic Aberration/Defringe tools really are not there yet at all. In some areas one or the other will work better/worse, or sometimes both will work best (but still not really work that well). In some cases, checking the chromatic aberration box will actually cause fringing in places it wasn't before. This tool is not nearly on the level of something like Lightroom, and the automatic corrections in general aren't there yet. They work better on some cameras/lenses than others. For instance on some of my older Fuji T10/Panasonic GX85 files with interchangeable lenses, the distortion correction will work quite well, but say on my Panasonic LX10 or Sony RX100 VI files, you have to further correct the files. I realize that point and shoots are dealing with far more software correction, but Lightroom does a much better job with just getting it done automatically from the get go, and the chromatic aberration/fringe correction is superior.

2) I don't often have a use for the Erase tool or Clone/Stamp, but I will say this: when I use them, it is horrible. When I see videos of people using these tools on the Mac version, they seem to work much better, but I can't verify this. Firstly it is VERY slow, as Luminar needs to 'prepare for processing' when you click on the tool. Then you do the erase, click done, then wait awhile again for it to erase it. Then when it is done, a new image layer has been created as the 'erased image layer', instead of just erasing the damned object on the main layer, like other software does. That is actually quite annoying. But the final straw with this tool is that after all this, it simply doesn't work well. I've never used it where I couldn't blatantly tell that something had been erased. The Clone/Stamp tool isn't much better in this regard. By way of comparison, I also use ON1 Photo Raw 2019 (and they have their own set of issues, btw), and their similar tools not only work much better and much faster, but they don't give you an 'erased image layer' than you then have to deal with. They just erase what you want erased, and that's that. Simple. As it should be. If I required the use of this tool often in my photography, I quite simply would not use Luminar.

So for what it's worth, those are some major things that I find that could be improved. I would also mention that it is still quite slow to go back to a photo you've previously edited... takes quite a bit of time for all the adjustments to hit the preview.

Otherwise, I think Luminar is taking steps toward being a completely valid Lightroom replacement. It's not there yet, but it certainly could get there. I don't personally use Lightroom anymore, but I do miss it sometimes because neither Luminar nor ON1 are quite there, for me. Who's gonna get there first? ON1's library is far superior, it's faster, the erase tools work better... but Luminar has better filters, a better workspace, and for me, better results in a shorter period of time and is more pleasant to use.

I hope things continue to improve. =) 

Manley Minsker

The export function is still slower than LR. I did some simple edits on a Canon 7DMII raw file in both Luminar 3 and LR. Then exported as a high quality JPG.  Took 10 seconds in LR, 45 seconds in Luminar.

I did have the same crashing problem described above.  Seems to have a problem with the old catalog.  A clean install fixed it for me.  I have mac OS Mojave, 3.5Ghz Intel Core 7.

Merle Becker

@Manley - My install on Windows 10 PC went smoothly.  I pointed Catalog to the primary Pictures Folder and modified selection to where photos are located to an External Drive WD. There I limited the Folder selection to one with multiple Sub Folders.  With loading in both the Library and Edit panels I have multiple blank boxes with a white triangle in upper left corner with an explanation point in it.  Panel has right number of "boxes" but not contain photos.

Skylum's response - Ck our videos or Users' Manual.

When doing a new clean install do you first delete the Luminar installer existing in your computer and then just proceed completely new again.  Folder had about 5,000 photos in and thinking ok go with one less.  No special labeling of my files, such as %$# etc. only _ between dates.  I have sub folders for Originals (JPEGs mostly some RAW) and then a folder with the Lmr proprietary format.

Anyone else have ideas.  I did ck with Matt Suess and we tried several solutions - no avail. Maybe time for ON1?

Merle Becker

Manley Minsker

I use a program on my Mac called Trashme to handle the unintall of the luminar executable.  It removes all the associated support files as well as the main executable.  I then downloaded the newest install program from Skylum and ran it.

John Newton

thanks to Anastasia Davis for the tricks and tips for mac, its fixed the crashing ,but it still takes a while to load. I do have 73000 images  all the best.

Alan Bee

I figure I may as well document my trials and tribulations here.

First issue - Luminar 3.0.2 wouldn't start. Just a momentary glimpse of the flash screen. SOLVED by Anastasia with her suggestion to remove Luminar and reload a new version (see her post above).

Second issue - New version froze when cropping and correcting crocked horizon. As with version 3.0.1 I have to shut down Luminar. In 3.0.1 it completely locked my iMac and I had to KILL the iMac completely and restart. Always returned to the photo I was editing with cropping completed. In 3.0.2 at least I was able to close Luminar and reopen .... the first time it happened. However, the second time it froze, again while cropping, I closed Luminar but now it won't reopen. Clicking the app shows Luminar in the application menu bar at the top of the screen but there is no application window actually open to work from - just my screen background. Will go through the process of removing Luminar again and reloading a new version.

I can't keep using this app if it is not stable and I have to kill the iMac each time it freezes or have to remove the app and reload. I actually like Luminar but these issues are taking my forbearance to new heights.

Helena Carter

Hi Daniel,

I this versions it's always impossible to launch Aurora HDR to work on picture and get the result in Luminar

>>>> If you want to use Luminar 3 a a plugin for Luminar 3,

Aurora HDR 2019 needs to be updated before it can support Luminar 3. While we're preparing the update, you can try the following solution.

If you're on Mac:

1. Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software/Luminar3/Plug-Ins. There will be a bunch of files in there, the one you're interested in has .plugin extension.
    2. Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    3. In Aurora, click Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Aurora to the .plugin

If you're on Windows:

1. Open a photo in Aurora.
    2. Click Plugins >  Other > Open Plugin.
    3. Navigate to the folder where your copy of Luminar 3 is installed. By default it's C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 3.
    4. Double-click Luminar3.8bf. Luminar 3 should open as a plugin in Aurora.

If you want to send brackets from Luminar 3 to Aurora HDR 2019, we'll add this functionality to Aurora in the next update for Luminar 3. We planned to include this function in the initial release but there are some integration details that we need to iron out before shipping the function.

To Everyone,

Currently, we're gathering the feedback on all the issues our customers might have encountered.

Please, contact our Support Team via support@skylum.com providing the detailed description of the problem and referring to this thread if needed. We really hope for your cooperation and we will absolutely reply to every request, even though it might take us a bit longer than usual, since the workload is huge after the update. But we're doing our best and your experience is a top priority for us.

We will be posting the solutions here on forum as well, but we will need to investigate these issues firstly. We hope for your understanding.

Hope to hear from you all soon and have a great day.

Erwin Kargl

@Andy:
    Hi, my experience is, that it's not about the images in the catalog, it's about the generated thumbnails:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041593671-Dirty-FIX-for-Luminar-3-not-starting
    and
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041817752-3-0-2-2186-does-not-start-with-too-much-thumbnails

Maybe one of you can confirm this?
    Thanks Erwin

Andy H

Hi @Erwin.  Thanks for this.  I'm not sure this is the problem for me on a Mac.  My Luminar catalog folder is 270Mb for 35,000 photos - pretty small - assuming that is where the thumbnails are. My experience is that if you skip the photo syncing during the set-up process, then add your photos from within Luminar itself (using Add Folder), it seems to make things quicker.  Adding all 35,000 during the set-up left me with 15+ minute load times. Adding the 35,000 from within Luminar cut the load time to 35 seconds. Pretty strange, but it seems to have worked?  Maybe it is something to do with thumbnails and the set-up process?

Erwin Kargl

Hi @Andi, I am on windows, the thumbnails are in a separate folder, not in the catalog itself. I added my image folders also later, not during setup.
    Erwin

Efraim Or

Hey guys,

I am on windows. Luminar is faster with this new update, but there's a problem. It takes a very long time for the software to view the image for edit after selecting it (20 - 30 seconds, in Lightroom - 3 seconds max). 

is there any way to preload the raws previews? that's impossible to work like this.

Erwin Kargl

@Andi:

I can reproduce this (my?) error/behavior.

1. Open Luminar
    2. got to "All photos"
    3. scroll up and down and let Luminar create Thumbnails
    4. the longer Luminar creates Thumbnails, the longer it needs for the next to start
    5. and on some point (don´t know when) it has too much thumbnails and the next start is impossible and it starts not at all

To make it start again, I just rename the folder "PreviewCache" or I delete it:

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi @Efraim,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

We are constantly working on enhancing the app. 

We will improve the performance of Luminar 3 with every update. 

For now, I recommend you to divide your photos into different catalogs for better performance. 

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi @Erwin,

I have already replied to you under the previous posts. 

We will be glad if you could provide us with the requested info so we could investigate the issue. 

Your cooperation is highly appreciated. 

Erwin Kargl

Hi @Anna, all informations I have sent two days ago.
    Erwin

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Erwin,

We do our best to respond to every email within 24 hours, but in high traffic times, it can take a little longer. Please know that someone will be in touch via email as soon as possible. 

Ashley Goble

Many thanks for the update guys. Works fine on W10

Andy H

Hi @Erwin.  I cannot replicate this issue on my Mac. I've scrolled down all of my photos, creating thumbnails for them all, and the load time stays the same.  Maybe an issue for Windows only?

Zach Wagner

I haven't had much of an issue with Luminar's speed for the most part, but startup time for a full library was pretty abysmal, though I was only looking at around a minute vs the sometimes upwards of 15 mins others have mentioned. Deleting the preview cache folder helped me out, in addition to the fact that I made a new catalog and have only added the currently relevant folders to the catalog (I separate mine by camera, then year, then month then day). Doing these things (In addition to the newest update) has sped things up immensely.

I imagine I will simply delete the preview cache folder from time to time from now on until Luminar gets this slow down issue figured.

Also, I am using a PC with Win 10, AMD FX8350 chip and 4gb GTX 960 vid card with 32gb of system ram.

Hillman Lo

I'm glad that Luminar finally supports Nikon Z6. However, editing Z6 raw files is taking 5 times longer. Every movement has some delay. I'm not sure I have the patient to wait if I need to edit hundreds to photos. I discovered more and more problems everyday. Last week it crashed 3-4 times when I add image layer and cropped. Then it's very slow to edit raw files. This morning I found all the photos are not showing up in the Library folders that Luminar created except one photo (I don't know why that particular is showing up but the others are not). I really not sure whether I should stay with Luminar or switch to LR which is proven to be good. I'm using iMac with the latest OS. 

Andy H

@Hillman.  There are other options to LR and Luminar. I've had problems with both.  Have you tried any others?

Merle Becker

@Hillman - I have the same problem.  In Libraries or Edit panels a folder shows 21 files but there may be 17 black blank squares with an emergency triangle in upper left corner.  Then there will be the balance 4 actual photos showing.  I have gone exhaustively through every file to insure that there are no strange characters or typos in the naming.  None.  Going to delete entire L3 install and start over.  Yep, I only used a small folder with limited photos to start.with.  After next try, if no help then going to seriously consider ON1.  Won't go back to LR. Wish L3 could be stable on Windows 10 but WHY all of the hit and misses - not consistency.  Uggh

Hillman Lo

@Andy H - I used AfterShot Pro before. It's very user friendly and fast. I never had any issues, but Luminar is probably more powerful. That's why I switched. I got some awesome photos from Luminar (if it works). As Merle suggested, I probably will try out ON1. They offer 30 days trial for free. 

Andy H

@Hillman.  I'd give it a go, you can't lose with a free trial. I did the same and was very impressed. Now it's replaced Lightroom and pretty much removed Luminar from my workflow.

A. M.

Thanks for the update and work anyway. Starting Luminar3 is now way faster.

However, some points are really missing or buggy:

- With about 170'000 images the grid is shown quickly, but missing the previews thumbnails. It looks like some lazy loading algorithm trying not to load images too early or too late (outside viewport), but not getting it right. Looking at the very bottom only the lowest row gets previews, the other remain gray forever. Even in the first third of all images only those images at the very lowest viewport border get previews. Maybe there was no test case with a really large number of images? Additionally I use Luminar3 on a 4K display with small font etc. with my focus see more stuff in a comparatively smaller size.

- Even simple operations you get in free software like rotating an image freeze Luminar3 for a longer time, such Windows already ask if you want to kill the process.

- After some time Windows gets slower and slower. From Task Manager it seems, that Luminar3 uses a large number of other processes like Windows Explorer, Photos, and so on. Also, the Luminar3 UI gets slower, switch between edit and catalog takes some 20 seconds or so.

I really like Luminar3 for the UI, image grid. Yes, I want to replace Picasa with it, I had a number of LR installs, but it was...

Besides this the skylum.com-Website has an issue. The email submitting form. At the point where I could add images (or not) I didn't get any further, didn't see any submit button. Please fix this too.

Anastasia Davis

@A. I. I. Moreno Thanks for your feedback. As for the speed of Luminar, we are constantly working on it. Nevertheless, it mostly depends on your computer. Could you let us know your system configuration?

Could you please let us know what is your hardware configuration?

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
      and attach this text file to your reply to this email.

Send it to support@skylum.com with a description of your case. 

As for the Customer Support form, there is a button Contact Skylum. Is there any issue with it on your side?

Phong Thai

I've reported several bugs to the support team but the response has been quite slow.

This is a blocking issue that makes me disappointed: Luminar failed to import some jpeg files (while they are displayed OK in Finder, Preview, and some other photo softwares. Here's a video recording of the issue:

https://we.tl/t-0fXSTltRUW

Notice the folder has 4 files: 3 jpegs and 1 Raw. All the 3 jpeg files failed import.

I'm using Mac.

Leila Evans

Hi Phong - Please send us also the content of the folder you added via WeTransfer to support@skylum.com 

Thanks!

Please sign in to leave a comment.