auh files include history even if "Save history" is unchecked

Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi D R C,

.AUH files are re-editable, and do contain all of your edits. The option to save History will allow you to use the History panel to step backwards. Without the History all of your edits will be intact and changeable, but you won't be able to see the order in which they were applied.

D R C

I understand, but what I'm driving at is that the .auh format is currently useless for archival since, even if you don't include the original images, it is still generally bigger than the original images.  It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of 14 MB .auh files hanging around in my photo archive when the original photos are rarely more than 5-10 MB.  There has to be a way to decrease the size of the history.  Other programs store way more metadata in an XML sidecar that's at most still less than 1 MB.  And at least give people the option to discard edit history if they would prefer to have a smaller (which, in my case, equates to "useful at all") .auh file.  I'm personally only interested in being able to re-create the final image.  I don't care about the in-between steps.

D R C

To underscore the seriousness of this, 14 MB is so far out of the useful size range that the only option is to just not save anything from Aurora at all.  What I do currently is just write down the Aurora settings I use in a .txt file adjacent to the exported image.  Not optimal.

D R C

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the .auh file containing all of my edits.  When I open one, the Undo and Redo options are greyed out, so how would one even access those edits?

Angela Andrieux

Hi D R C,

I'll share your concerns about the file sizes with our developers.

With regard to the .auh file containing all of your edits - you slider values will be preserved allowing you to alter edits you previously made directly in each filter and/or layer. If you want access to the History panel you'll need to check the box to Save History.

D R C

OK, but why does that require 14 MB?

D R C

Even if you had 1000 sliders, representing their values shouldn't be more than about 10 KB.

Please sign in to leave a comment.