Luminar 3.0.2 on Mac is scanning hidden folders resulting in duplicates in the library

Comments

6 comments

Steve Ratts

Yes please! I think there are several great points here

1. Please either don’t scan hidden folders or give users an option not to scan them
    2. Please show the file names so users can tell which version of the file they’re looking at
    3. Please make it optional if files in sub folders are shown. We may want to switch that off to help organize files and folders

Yves Canty

It's worse than I thought.  I pointed Luminar to my Pictures folder that contains my Apple Photos Library.  Luminar scanned the photos library and is showing me its internal directory structure (database, Masters, resources, proxies, etc.).

This is really bad since the Apple Photo Library directory structure is off limits to direct access like this.  I'm going to remove my Pictures folder from Luminar before I make a mistake and delete a file that could corrupt my Photos library.

It took it a long while to scan it too. Maybe that could explain why people on other threads are complaining that Luminar 3.0.2 seems to hang at startup, if it's also scanning their Apple Photos library.

I'll open a bug with support.

Kirk Osborn

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass your suggestions to our engineering team.

Yves Canty

I'm happy to report that the new release of Luminar 3.0.2 (3051) no longer scans the Apple Photo library, nor hidden folders that start with a dot.  Great!

Unfortunately, after the update Luminar crashed while re-scanning my library.  After 2 more restarts it successfully finished scanning but I lost all my picture edits.  :(  I sent a support request about this.  I hope they can figure out a way to make the catalog more solid so we don't lose edits like that.  They're often suggesting in other threads to delete the catalog and start over.  That implies loosing all edits, star ratings and such!

Aside from that, it's been working great so far.  For instance, it's much faster at browsing previews in single picture view.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Yves,

Thanks for directly contacting support. If they haven't already, one of our techs will be in touch with you via email as soon as possible.

Yves Canty

Thanks Angela, someone from support did contact me. The workaround for now is to restore the catalog from a backup. I did get my edits back that way. Unfortunately the catalog is still getting corrupted relatively often. I’ve sent support two versions of my catalog to their request so they can investigate further. Waiting for feedback.

Please sign in to leave a comment.