Luminar 3.0.2 Update: No thumbnails for edited images

Comments

30 comments

Rob Strower

It helps to switch on the largest possible thumbnails.

All the best,

Robin

Comment actions Permalink
    Muntasir Hossain

Hi Robin, thanks. I tried it but did not help. I am not sure what else to try. 

Rob Strower

That is a strange one. I had that problem some weeks ago but changing some things did solve the issue on my side.

The problem is I did some things and don´t really know which one solved the issue.

I didn´t used Nikon NEF files but out of the camera Pentax.dng files so most probably it is was not a problem of the file format.

1. make sure there are only RAW(the Nikon NEF) files in your folder (no JPG or others)

2. download the Codec RAW pack from Micro$oft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

As written I changed more things including the above steps. Maybe worth a try.

All the best,

Robin

Muntasir Hossain

Hi Robin,

My folder contains only raw files, no jpg. 

I do not have any problems with the codec. I can view the files in windows 10. 

Many thanks for your help though. If you can remember any other settings that you may have changed, please let me know. Highly appreciate :)

Thanks,

Muntasir

Jörn Reppenhagen

Muntasir: Suffering with you, got the same problem.

It's as follows:

Initial Luminar installation, Catalog gets build quite fast (compared with 3.0.1)). I can double click for zooming in, I can switch to the edit panel, switch back to the Catalog - all ok.

But as soon as I do ANY edit (or add or remove a filter), it all goes down the pipe. Black thumbnails like in your screenshot.

After a restart, the whole Catalog gets read again, this time far slower than at the first time. Luminar rereads the catalog with every start, and does it slowly.

Black thumbnails. Some thumbnails blurry. If I try to edit a picture already edited, all edit controls are greyed out.

Now ALL thumbnails are black.

Note the number of pictures show in the tree on the right and in the upper left corner of the catalog screen: 30.

If I edit for the third time (this is still possible by clicking on the black thumbnail of a picture I did not edit before):

Note: 30 pictures shown in the tree view on the right, but 0 (ZERO) pictures in the upper left of the Catalog screen.

Only "solution": Delete the Catalog files, losing all your edits, rebuild the Catalog.

Allows exactly ONE edit. After that, thumbnails black again, Catalog reread with every single start, editing pictures impossible - controls greyed out.

Game over.

Rob Strower

What else did I do?

1. I updated to the next WIN10 version - it was 18323 Insider, now I am on 18329 and it even works a bit better on several things.

2. I changed my CPU to an FX8350 (before I used the Phenom II 4x) but it is "just" faster(double the speed at least esp. on software like that) I think and was not the solution to the problem

3. I downloaded the Beta RAW converter from Micro$oft (only available for 18323 and above)which is able to show the exef data in RAW files with the normal file explorer (some new cameras are supported as well - FUJI and some newer SONY codecs etc.)

4. changed both of my SSD drives to AHCI mode - I still don´t know why they had been switched to IDE because I installed them running on AHCI the first time.

Funny side note - it takes my PC exactly 1 minute starting Luminar 3 and showing the first side of my catalog in full resolution thumbnails (largest setting). My Catalogue is 3.5k pics with 3 folders and huge number of subfolders.

At restart of Luminar 3 it never rereads the folders, it just starts straight. CPU is busy but never above 30% building the thumbnails. SSD with pics just reads for a few seconds 100% maxed then it drops to the normal. You can watch that using the TaskManager clicking the Performance tab

I am still on version Luminar 3  3.0.1 !! - right now I am confused why it does not work as well for so many people. I don´t know what will be changed for me using the new 3.0.2 update, even faster??

All the best,

Robin

Rob Strower

Now I am officially impressed.

I took a short trip to Sydney to download the update 3.0.2 - it came in like a wrecking ball xD - in a good way.

Starting Luminar 3 with a catalogue of 3.5k pics the old version 3.0.1 took exactly 1 minute to open and showing the first page of full resolution thumbnails.

Starting Luminar 3 updated to 3.0.2 takes exactly 30 seconds to open with full resolution thumbnails. Scrolling through the catalogue is about double the speed as well. Full resolution thumbnails build in a split of a second.

I am still using largest thumbnails, did not try smallest yet.

For the moment I am really impressed. Still digging around and looking for problems, bugs etc. but so far so good. It seems to work pretty well on my WIN 10 PC(WinVer 1903 build 18329.1), AMD FX8350, 8GB Ram, AMD HD7750 GFX, 1st SSD drive SAMSUNG 860 512GB and 2nd SSD Samsung EVO 850 512GB

All the best,

Robin

Muntasir Hossain

Jörn, my problems are exactly same as yours. You have listed them accurately and I couldn't have done it better! The surprising thing to me is that the same problems exist in version 3.0.2. Hope Team Skylum is listening! At the moment the software is totally unusable for us. 

Muntasir Hossain

Robin, wow it seems you did a lot of things to make L3 work! However, I still believe it's just a bug and not a hardware problem at all! Improving the machine specs will definitely help in speeding up things but the problems for not showing thumbnails for edited images are caused by the bugs... I'll try some of the things you listed and see how it goes. Hope for the best.

Thanks a ton! Much appreciated. 

Jörn Reppenhagen

Robin: Thanks alot for that additional hints; unfortunately I cannot implement most of them as I am bound to a Windows 7 system - need that for working purposes using very special software. Plus - see below.

Muntasir: My problems came up after I replaced my main HDD with an SSD (cloned), also added a new internal 4 TB HDD.
    Before, Luminar 3 worked just the way it should be.

The only things I changed were physical drives, no drivers, no anything else.
    So did you also do any changes of your drive configuration?

Muntasir Hossain

Jörn, I feel that's a bit strange that change of physical drives caused you this trouble and it was alright before. Replacing the HDD with and SDD should improve performance! Do you think temporarily removing the internal 4TB is worth a try?

In my my case it was from the beginning! I didn't make any changes. I'm having the same problem with version 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. 

I hope more users who had this problem and found a work around share their experience. 

Jörn Reppenhagen

Hello again, Muntasir. ;)

With changing the C: HDD into an SSD, the internal drive ID numbers also changed, plus a new hardware ID got added, the additional HDD.

MAYBE that's part of the problem, I just don't know.

But as you didn't change your drive configuration, it looks like something else is the cause. :/

I also opened a new thread dealing with our problem just a couple of minutes ago because Skylum didn't response to your thread, I also referred to this thread.

Let's hope for a quick solution. ;)

Rob Strower

I have a solution to your problem. At least three things both of you can try.

1. all the pics/catalogue/thumbnails Luminar3 uses are coded by the drive - if you cloned a drive to an SSD the previous(cloned) catalogue will not(!) work.

2. 4TB HDD(and can course problems even using WIN10, you have to format it in GTB) and some SSD drives are NOT able to run safe on Windows 7 (I am a programmer and I know driver and workarounds but trust me WIN7 can´t handle that in the long run)

3. Make sure (really important) to run all SSD drives in AHCI mode(big prob in WIN7 on several mainboards) - you can make that happen in WIN10 even without re installing WIN10:

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

WIN10 4TB HDD:

https://www.aomeitech.com/windows-10/windows-10-4tb-hard-drive-3889.html

All the best,

Robin

Jörn Reppenhagen

Hoi Robin ! ;)

Skylum: Please also read this.

1. Heard of that. That's why I asked the support for weeks (!) about any ways of FULLY removing all Luminar data, so I could do a new, virgin install using fresh drive IDs. They didn't care at all.
    Removing the catalog, cleaning the registry and removing all settings found under App Data/Roaming also does not help.
    If that is the source of the problem, there must be still some remnants of the very first Luminar installation left somewhiere - maybe in the cloud.
    That's one of the reasons why I asked support to provide me a new activation key. They didn't care at all.

2. HGST drive, no problem with Windows 7. Of course I had to use GPT for that large drive as I didn't wish to work with smaller partitions. I am also a former programmer - one of that madmen starting with 68000 Assembler back in the good old C-64 and Atari 800 times. :D

3. SSD (Samsung 860 EVO, 512 GB) of course runs in AHCI mode.

[sigh]

Rob Strower

Hi Jörn,

started using Maschinecode(pure!) Z80 on Sinclair Spectrum then Assembler, later Atari ST and Amiga in MC68000, some SEGA Megadrive(MC68000 and Z80) but more technical things. Always games and some technical things - 3D and technical support like Shader programming later.

So you meant Amiga and Atari ST ;o) and not C-64 and Atari 800. Maybe I know you in real life. The world is small you know esp. with Assembler programmers.

It should help making a complete new catalogue - just create a new named folder and copy your pics into (in WIN7).

Delete the old folder (remove in Luminar) then delete the catalogue in Windows. Restart Luminar, switch to largest thumbnails and add the new folder/library. Restart windows and before doing that use Ccleaner to get rid of any trash left behind.

Do a real(!) shutdown on the computer, power off and all the stuff - you know that.

Restart WIN7, start Luminar - it should start with the new encoded catalogue and no other things to  worry about. From now on this catalogue - like any catalogue is Hardware coded to that drive. Don´t use any other drive than the drive WIN7 is installed on or make sure you always have both drives installed esp. if you decide to create another folder/library on the other drive.

Wait until Luminar has finished ALL thumbnails before doing anything - this is important.

You can watch that in the Taskmanager as you know - Performance tab (Leistung). The CPU is maxed at 50% most of the time while doing that. When finished it drops to the normal 1%-5% idle. Drive is busy and maxed(100%) reading the whole catalogue. Let all that stuff happen before doing anything - again, this step is essential.

Maybe you can try that with just a small bunch of pics - maybe 100 or something in that range.

All the best,

Robin

Jörn Reppenhagen

Rehoi, Robin ! ;)

Off topic:
    ZX81 was my first one, first computer able to fly, the black discus. :D
    And sure I meant Amiga (68000, got the original model 1000), that's been my first step into real programming. And if you remember a "3D" rotating 7*Up can on the C64 (still found on YouTube, I was stunned about how BAD it looks today; but back in times of TVs used as display devices, it's been a beauty) - that's been me. :D
    Then quickly changed to PCs and application programming, followed by large database applications for phamacies.
    Interestingly ending up as a translator, writer, editor and copywriter. Never got rich or anything near. ;)

On topic:
    That all had been the first things I tried, tried it all, several times. Maybe I missed waiting for all thumbnails to appear, not 100 % sure of that. Ah, stop, I DID wait. When I tried that hint about first placing only one single picture in the folder.
    But I'll give it a new try in the evening, maybe I missed out something.

Thank you. ;)

Muntasir Hossain

Hi Jörn and Robin, it seems the problem is much more complicated and beyond my imagination :P 

I'm happy that at least two programmers are discussing the issue here even though skylum is just quiet on this. I really wish some solution comes out from your input. :) 

Jörn, thanks for creating the new thread. Definitely appreciate. 

Jörn Reppenhagen

Hello again, Muntasir ! ;)

Robin is a programmer, I am a former programmer, so my knowledge is quite prone to be a little outdated - and of course we don't know about the internal details of Luminar, so we also can just guess.

I could vastly improve the German localization of Luminar and the website (read this, Skylum? :D) - but that's all I could be sure of.

Let's hope creating a separate thread just dealing with our problem eventually triggers a reaction of Skylum.
    Looks like they went undercover since 3.0.2 (partly) got released.
    Maybe on their way to a country which doesn't extradite. ;)

Muntasir Hossain

Ha Ha Jörn, that was good, except that there might be no Luminar users in that country ;) 

Anyway, the recent email from Skylum might assure that they are really working on these issues. Your separate thread brought in other users who are affected and it might have even triggered Skylum. Let's hope for the best. :)  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Here is some additional information about 3.0.2: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041735072-New-Luminar-update-is-coming-soon

Mark Babbitt

SKYLUM KEEPS REFERRING ME BACK TO THIS THREAD FOR THE black THUMBNAIL PROBLEM. Crazy that this program is so inconsistent. Even hot fixes and update do not help.

TOTAL waste.

Erwin Kargl

Same problem here, no thumbnails for edited images with 3.0.2. And yes, I already sent my database, my HIDE, everthing you need:

Rob Strower

@Erwin and others who are having issues with edited images not showing up/black thumbnail problem xD

Please, take a look into the Catalog/CacheDocuments/Resources folder.

In there should be copies of the original edited pics including other files belonging to those (not important for now).

I am just investigating what´s going on and trying to figure out.

I am having only RAWs in there and all of them are showing up no problem in Luminar and the file explorer as well.

Are they visible and contain all the data on your PC?

Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Robin

Kirk Osborn

Our developers are working around the clock to get this issue fixed as soon as possible.

Your patience on this matter is really appreciated.

Kirk Osborn

Hi Rob,

Could you clarify if you edited .lmnr files in Luminar 3? In this case, Luminar extracts original files from the .lmnr project and stores them in Luminar Catalog.

The other case why duplicates may be created in Luminar Catalog is when you open one photo for a quick edit multiple times.

If Luminar just randomly saves there some of the photos, let us know.

Rob Strower

Hi Kirk,

it is a strange thing. There are definitely pics in there I never edited in Luminar 3. But there are some .lmnr files in my pic folder being edited in Luminar 2018.

I edited some pics multiple times in Luminar 3 but there are definitely pics in there I never touched in Luminar 3.

I keep an eye on the folder and if Luminar 3 saves randomly photos into the Resources folder.

All the best,

Robin

Anastasia Davis

@Rob Sure, let us know. Whenever it happens, reach us at https://skylum.com/support 
    It will be more effective to track and investigate your issue there.

Jörn Reppenhagen

Hahahahaaaaaaa !!! :D

Anastasia: Right two days ago, Skylum silently deleted a longer post by me, dealing with your support doing exactly NOTHING, not even reading mails at all. Total waste of time and effort.
    So please accept my apologies for regarding your post as a humorous addition.

Muntasir Hossain

Hi All,

I've recently updated to Luminar 3.1.0 and it seems the problems with black thumbnails and freezing of the software are finally addressed! Ha! I edited few images, closed and opened the software multiple times and the thumbnails are still there. It also allows to edit new images (i.e. no graying out/freezing once you edit a photo). 

I gave up trying Luminar a few of months ago and almost forgot that I own this software :P It's good to see that Skylum was finally able to address this issue. 

Enjoy!

Muntasir

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Muntasir,

Thank you for your kind words! 

We are pleased to hear that now it works better for you.

We will do our best to improve the performance for you with every update. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.