Luminar 3.0.2 totally buggy. Won't open after re-installing 5 times!

Comments

14 comments

Terry Morton

Yep! This is garbage. Same experience but left it for hours. Finally built a 'catalogue' but when I quit and try to reopen it it bloody well just hangs. And somehow thinks I have 7 times more photos than I really have. And a nonsense patronising response from support. Not good enough!

Alan Tyrer

This is exactly the same experience for me using Windows 64bit. (0% updating image gallery and goes no further).

Colin Grant

Seen a lot of bad press re 3.0.2 (expected really). Have Skylum responded anywhere?

Kirk Osborn

Hi,

Please try removing your Luminar Catalog:

On Windows:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

On Mac:

2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will be removed. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

Colin Grant

Thanks for this Kirk it is helpful but when will this type of thing stop? How can we ever trust the software without a proper fix or at least a way to ensure we do not lose our edits each time the catalogue falls over - something that could be avoided if sidecar files were an option.

K.G. Wuensch

@Kirk, and what is the recovery operation to not lose your edits, albums and ratings? A library that loses all it‘s information is worse than worthless, it‘s damagaing to it‘s users because they lose time and possibly money over these issues. Do stop giving advice on how to remove the information a user has put into your software and work on a way to help recover the information! 

Ron Fisher

I removed the Luminar Catalog folder which enabled me to open the program and use it. I don't do a lot of editing so I don't really need the Library feature. Hopefully it will be stable now. When it is working, I really do want to like Luminar and to have a great user experience. I have done some nice post-production work with it. However, in this highly competitive electronic day and age, it should perform perfectly "out of the box". Consumer expectations are very high and users' tolerance for problematic software is low and we don't appreciate having to deal with the frustration it causes and the time it takes to rectify problems. So please smarten up Skylum! You risk losing your current user base, and the negative publicity generated jeopardizes your ability to acquire new customers.

Terry Morton

I've totally removed the latest updated version and restored the previous version and catalogue from a Time Machine backup. Spent too much time on this, no longer prepared to do hours of, in effect, unpaid testing. It's not as if this is a .0 release, usually releases after .0 show marked improvements, alas not this time.  

I'll wait for the next iteration and hopefully this will sort things.

It's a pity, I enjoy using this software and will continue to use 3.0.1

Colin Grant

I would not touch the Library. We know that a corrupt catalogue can lead to all edits being lost - that means the software is not safe or ready for any sort of prime time.

K.G. Wuensch

@Terry, "I got through the initial release and the first update relatively unscathed but this one got me" sounds like taking a risk, chances are the database you got already is irreparably damaged so that updates won't work ever again, so any effort put into maintaining that may be at risk, especially as Skylum seemingly doesn't have a clue how to safeguard your time investment...

Jeff Kovitz

Yup mine is locking up.  Reinstalled three times etc. Still locking up. Will try and remove old catalog.  Guys, get a proper beta program going.  Have had to really learn ON1 Raw because your well marketed buggy and unreliable software is killing my productivity.  

Nigel Turley

Luckily, 3.02 hasn't yet hit the UK - in any case, I'm going to hold off installing it as I'm tired of beta testing this buggy, slow and unreliable app. I'll check back occasionally to see if there are any reported improvements but for now I'm going to use Luminar very sparingly (if at all)... good luck to all who are having major catalog issues - it must be incredibly frustrating to a) only have recourse to delete the whole thing, losing all your edits and b) be told to do this by a company that just doesn't seem to care that its totally p*ssing off its customers...

Alan Tyrer

I had this problem until I tried this solution suggested by Maryna from Technical support.

Luminar 3 is now fast responsive and stable.

Try this.

2. Navigate to where your catalog is stored.
    3. Locate the Backups folder in the catalog and open it.
    4. In the Backups folder, select a file that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and copy the file somewhere where you can easily access it.
    5. Rename the file you just copied by adding the following after the file name (omit quotes): '.luminar'.
    6. Start Luminar.
    7. Click File > Catalog > Open > point Luminar to the file from Step 5.
    Maryna Skylum

Alan is right.

However, for Mac version we would suggest the following steps:

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that was made prior to the latest update and click Restore from Backup.

Please sign in to leave a comment.