Luminar 3.0.2 (2105) update not installing

Comments

44 comments

Jörn Reppenhagen

I didn't even get that popup telling me about an update.

Luminar 3 still says 3.0.1 (1610) is the present version if I manually check for updates.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric van Bemmel

I believe it's rolling out to some countries before others. I'm in Australia.

Jörn Reppenhagen

That indeed could be the case, Eric.

I'm in suicide lunatics country, Germany.

Zach Wagner

I'm in the US and mine's not giving me an update option. I tried last night because I noticed they had dropped a blog post about the update happening (interestingly, the blog post was dated Feb 4, which is obviously not the case). But no update for me yet.

Rob Strower

Good people at Skylum, could you please give us a link to the new update so we all can appreciate the new 3.0.2. version?

Complete installer would be fine.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Jörn Reppenhagen

Rob: Also secretly tried downloading the installer file for test driving. :D
    Size of the file changed a bit (a little larger than it's predecessor) - but still installs 3.0.1. [swearing]

Skylum: Yes, just provide a link to the installer file.
    Wouldn't overload your servers as this forums are still nicely hidden from the broad public; for whatever reason.

Eric van Bemmel

Incidentally, here's what the update claims to include:

Luminar 3, ver. 3.0.2

New Features:

Take advantage of these new features.
    * SUBFOLDER MANAGEMENT. Subfolders make it easy to further organize your image library. These are folders nested inside other folders in your catalog and directly tie back to real folders on your hard drive.
    * Subfolder creation. You can create a new by right-clicking on an existing folder in your Library.
    * Subfolder deletion. It is possible to delete a subfolder as well by right-clicking on it in your library.
    * LOCATE FOLDER. Have you moved or copied media to a new location? You can right-click on an offline folder and choose Locate Folder to select and reconnect files.
    * ADDING FOLDER IMPROVEMENTS. Change your mind when adding a folder? Just click Cancel to stop the current task.
    * OFFLINE FILE ALERTS. See a visual alert indicating unavailable files and folders.
    * IMPROVED NAVIGATION. Quickly switch between Gallery and Single Image view with dedicated toolbar buttons.
    * SHORTCUT KEYS. Take advantage of new keyboard shortcuts for View, Looks Navigation, Masks, Tools, and Edit.
    * NEW LANGUAGES SUPPORTED. Use Luminar 3 in more languages with new localizations:
    * Chinese Simplified
    * Chinese Traditional
    * Korean
    * Portuguese
    * Russian
    * Italian

Performance Improvements
    Get additional speed and performance from the Luminar 3 update.
    * FASTER ADDING. You'll see much faster load times when adding new photos and folders to the Catalog.
    * FASTER LAUNCHING. When you return to Luminar 3, launch times are improved when reloading your Catalog.
    * STABILITY. Thanks to our users for reporting different issues. This version of Luminar offers general stability improvements.

New Cameras Added
    The following new cameras are supported by this recent update:

* NIKON
    * Nikon D3500
    * Nikon P1000
    * Nikon Z6
    * Nikon Z7

* PANASONIC
    * Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II

* FUJIFILM
    * Fujifilm GFX 50R
    * Fujifilm X-T3

* SONY
    * Sony RX100VA
    * Sony RX100VI
    * Sony DSC-HX99
    * Sony DSC-HX95

* LEICA
    * Leica M10-D
    * Leica M10-P
    * Leica D-Lux 7

michael durkin

Well that's reassuring - NOT.

This NEW! IMPROVED! UDATE TODAY! Seems to nothing more than more tinkering with the pointless DAM nonsense - nothing concerning the faults it has as a Photo editing programme.

Still, users will be heartened to know that Chinese (that's Traditional Chinese BTW),  has been added. Glad about this as the Chinese are reknowned for being clever, perhaps they'll be able to get Luminar to work properly...

Zach Wagner

Not sure if that's fair. Under 'Stability', they plainly state they've listened to user feedback and presumably have fixed many reported issues. Of course it remains to be seen if that's true, or if they've fixed everyone's issues (likely not, but then, neither has Adobe). I will say though that this weird release that sees some people already getting the update and already having problems with it doesn't bode well. I can only hope that when I get the update, I'm one of the ones with a hardware configuration that allows for the least amount of issues. Hahahaha

Rob Strower

@Jörn

A man has to do what a man has to do xD - yeah, but that didn´t helped much on my side either -_-

Skylum, I swear I am a man from DownUnder and I love kangaroos - if that helps.

We neeeeed the update, please.

michael durkin

@Zach

Ok, Zach,, perhaps you're right and I should cut them some slack. I quite accept that every fault can't be fixed with one update, however, I suggest you read through the above list. I think you'll agree that it's mainly further tinkering with DAM,  (poking it with a screwdriver to see what happens).

Zach Wagner

I'm certainly not trying to defend Skylum at all. I haven't been privy to many of the bugs that have fatally doomed the software so far for many people, but believe me, it's not working great for me either. It takes a lot of patience to use, and I do have a fair bit of that so it largely doesn't annoy me that much, but I also don't use certain features because they either don't work well or slow the software down so much it's kinda pointless. 

I dumped Lightroom as soon as Luminar added Libraries and ON1 2019 came out, because I got updated free from Luminar 2018, and cheaply for ON1... I have hated Lightroom for many years, but nothing else has been an option. With the latest update, ON1 is running quite well I have to say, and is a usable alternative (for me) for Lightroom. That said, I like Luminar more and really want them to make it a truly usable piece of software because I'd rather use it than ON1. There are also filters/effects that Luminar has that either no one else does or they are difficult to replicate, to say the least, in other software. 

I really am trying to be positive, mainly for my own sake, that this update will speed things up and squash many problems. I think expecting it to squash all problems is fantastical thinking, unfortunately. I can only wait and see. If things don't shape up well in this update I'll probably use ON1 for awhile and see what happens in the coming months with Luminar.

Zach Wagner

I will say they don't seem to be good at rolling out updates. The blog post about the update has been live (and is dated Feb 4... which is silly) since yesterday yet many people still don't have an update option. Last time the updater didn't work for many people and most (including myself) had to simply do a fresh install.

Certainly doesn't give one confidence that things are going to go at all smoothly this time once the update is truly worldwide, or in the future either. =\

michael durkin

Ah well we can only hope..

Like you, I too so want Luminar to suceed, it's got a certain 'something' about it. perhaps because it's so easy to use and it had some very good ajustment tools.

I still remember, back before the last two updates to 2018. It was such a great little programme then and it mostly worked fine.  Now, while they insist on trying to make a fatally flawed addon work, throwing more time and effort, not to mention the goodwill of their supporters at it, i.e down the drain, nothing will improve.

Rob Strower

I requested a link for the update and Skylum support answered my EMail:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Please be informed, that the update 3.0.2 for Luminar 3 will be released next week. 

Please let me know if any other questions arise.

Have a great day.

Nadiia
    Skylum Support Team

Jörn Reppenhagen

[scratching head] I knew there's quite a significant time lag to Australia - but I didn't expect it to be that significant. ;)

Zach Wagner

Lol! Well maybe they should take their Feb 4th dated blog post about the release down. WTF ahhahahaha they are kinda clueless. Ugh.

Rob Strower

I was confused and still I am to say the least.

Maybe we should call Doc Brown or I reread Hugh Everett to make out if we are in a parallel world already.

Or they rolled out the update just for Beta testers?

Some other days getting more pics but still the weather is shabby her in Germany.

I could do some macro shots inside my house to get more relief until the update will come(?) finally -_-

I really hope it(the update) helps to sort out things but I am pretty positive about that.

All the best,

Robin

Neil Harris

I received the update here (Canada) yesterday, and so far it's a much-improved experience.

Luminar 3.0.2 crashed the first time editing (unsurprisingly while using AI Sky Enhancer!), but since then it has been reliable!!!

Runs noticeably faster, but still takes several seconds to re-open previously edited RAW images. I can't speak to performance with large photo libraries.

The problem with being unable to re-edit photos has been resolved, well at least for me.

Shortcut keys work!

However, some features are not fully implemented. Example: right-clicking to remove folders from the catalog is only available for root folders, not for nested folders (see images).

Jörn Reppenhagen

Rob: Pfui! Wimmelt ja vor Deutschen hier. :D Falls Du im Alefo-Forum aktiv bist, kennen wir uns vielleicht.

To whom it may concern: I also use Lightroom, ON1 2019 (still trial version) and Luminar 3. At least I try to use Luminar 3 because it went perfectly mad after I swapped my C: drive and added a new HDD. BAM! Can, no, BARREL of worms opened. Had to downgrade to Luminar 2018 to be able to edit my ugly pictures.

But Luminar has it's charm ... It's an almost complete package of everything I need, but dotted with issues I don't need.

For example, the "DAM". I don't use that quotes for no reason. It's a toy. Sorry, Skylum, but that's the way it presently is.
    And a DAM rendering the software completely useless after swapping and adding a drive doesn't really make me pop the champaign.
    ON1s DAM is real great. Does not force you to import anything into a Catalog  (while you can do if you wish to). I like that.

What I don't like with ON1, is missing functionality. Like a Channel Mixer, like DCP files for tweaking the White Balance - you guessed it, I like taking infrared photos. On the other hand, Luminar lacks capable masking tools; at present, it's just too basic.

But I absolutely LOVE that you can use and reuse masks just for each and everything. ON1 and LR restrict you to some basic tools for use with masks, Luminar allows using masks with just every filter except Raw Develop. Great thing, turning simple tools (like the Photo Filter) into mighty warriors.

Then Luminar has the Channel Mixer and the DCP files. Unfortunately, there's a bug in the RAW development module, causing strange color faults with shades of red, rendering an infrared photo a complete mess. Thus I need to rely on Lightroom for RAW development and tweaking the white balance. ARGH!

I absolutely LOVE Luminar's customizable workspace, in fact that's been my instant-buy feature. Nothing like that with Lightroom, unfinished approach in ON1.

All in all, I like the Luminar workflow, the customization features for propping up your personal workspace and presets. And the various filters. Big game!

But I deeply HATE the current "DAM", don't need the factory presets at all (except my own ones, which of course is another great thing). I also hate the non-customizable keyboard shortcuts, I hate it if I cannot change the brush size using the mouse wheel, I also dislike I cannot move a zoomed picture. Makes me [insert your favorite swear word here].

That's why I hope for Luminar getting rid of it's teething problems, soon. Because I wish to stick with that piece of software.

Regarding the update: I understand it's a minor upgrade, more like a bug fix. If it fixes my primary problem - absolute erratical behavior after swapping/adding drives - I'd be quite happy; for a little while.

Guys, there's a German saying: "Irgendwas ist ja immer" - something is ALWAYS wrong/missing. Have a look at Lightroom, at ON1 - always something missing, always something not working as intended.
    Same with Luminar. How do we call a software working perfectly? - Outdated.

So let's keep our smiles.

"Herr, gib mir Geduld - aber'n bisschen plötzlich!" - "Lord, give me patience - BUT ON THE DOUBLE!"

Robert Peters

Luminar 3 dowloaded ok.  The good news is that it's now faster to open.  Instead of 30 minutes to open now it's only 12 minutes to wait.  This is ridiculous!!

I still get the message "Reading File structure" at the top.  When that's done it takes a while to load the photo previews.

Is this really the best Skylum can do??????

None of the shortcut keys work.  The promised upgrades aren't there yet.

When's the next upgrade Skylum??  So far this program has been a BRICK. I'm still using Luminar 2018 until you get this thing fixed.

Rob Strower

@Jörn bin nicht im Alefo Forum aber wenigstens ein paar Deutsche hier im Forum sind ja auch nicht ganz verkehrt xD

I would be happy to check the new update. Hope I can the rest of the world is getting it soon.

Does not sound too promising though.

All in all as it is now it works for me in a good way but sure those bigger bugs maybe have been pulled, hopefully.

All the best and thanks for all those infos and keeping us UPDATED (xD) good people in the forum,

Robin

Alex Young

I'm from Canada and received the update yesterday, as reported by Neil Harris

So far, it is working well - thx Skylum! (I'm using the Windows version, btw.)

AI sky enhancer is fine, the shortcut keys that I use, work and the program boots up more quickly.

I don't use the library functions as they are currently of no interest to me, so can't comment on them.

The only problems that I've noticed are the inability to save a modified file (lmnr) as is possible in Luminar 2018, though in fairness, any modifications made in Luminar 3 are present when the program is relaunched. The other problem is that the photo's date is off by 5 hours - it appears to be GMT as opposed to EST for me in Toronto, Canada. This is not a big deal for me, and I believe that it will be fixed in a future update.

Cheers and thanks, Skylum...

Alex

Cheers,

Alex

Rob Strower

@Alex

Would you please be so kind to provide us with a link to the installer so we can download and install the new version?

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Jörn Reppenhagen

Second that, of course! ;)

In poor Germany, we're still suffering of 3.0.1.

Alex Young

Hi Robin and Jorn [sorry about the missing umlaut, Jorn :( ]

This is the message that I received from Skylum yesterday:

So as soon as I launched L3, the update began....and the rest was history. If this doesn't work, you may have to come to Canada!!!

The new updated version was slow to launch initially, but is quite fast now - less than 20 seconds, and as I said, so far, so good. Yesterday, Windows was downloading a massive Win10 update, so this may have had something to do with the sluggishness.I use L3 only for processing RAW files of ~ 25 MB in the edit mode which is really all I want so far and I've not used it a lot as I'm still reluctant to stop using Luminar 2018, but I'll give L3 more of a try today and tomorrow since it's windy and cold outside and I'm fortunate to have a wine cellar and food close to my computer.

My PC has an AMD A8 processor - not the best for Luminar's needs - plus 8GB of RAM. The HD is 7200rpm, so this is ok. I purchased this PC a couple of years ago with music recording and mastering in mind (CuBase) and it works very well for this. My interest in photography came later. The computer is ok for RAW file processing, but I will have to upgrade it eventually.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Alex

Jörn Reppenhagen

Hi Alex ! ;)

> " If this doesn't work, you may have to come to Canada!!!"
    We'll take that as in invitation, right ? :D

In dumb old Germany, we get no update, neither via "Check for updates" nor via reinstalling L3 again and again.

Seems like Skylum wishes to protect their servers from overloads, so that bug fix is rolled out in waves - like those smartphoone updates.

But I wish they'd provide a direct download link - at least for people who already bought the software, like me. ;)

Thank you very much for your update.

Alex Young

I agree with you - I'd like a direct download link - the whole program which I could save for reinstallation if it ever becomes necessary and I'm far away from an internet connection, which can happen in Canada.

You are always welcome to come to Canada, though I'd wait for warmer weather!

You're probably right about not wanting to overload their servers, although in the original Luminar 3 release notice below:

we were one of the 'favoured 3' countries to get L3, which immediately gave me the database error message, so perhaps not so lucky after all. I wondered why they chose these countries - Australians and Canadians are well known for their agreeable approach to life, but do the Austrians share our laid back attitude?

This notice arrived December the 12th, and the rest of the world was to receive it on the 18th. Maybe you'll get it tomorrow or Monday?

Cheers,

Alex

ps still working away on L3 and all is still good. I've not lost a RAW file yet in either Luminar 2018 or L3, but I also have them backed up on a separate hard drive, just in case.

Rob Strower

Thank you very much @Alex

We have to be patient. It seems they rolled out to some to get some feedback like the last time.

Thanks for the insights.

All the best,

Robin

Eric van Bemmel

For those in countries still waiting for the 3.0.2 update to appear, you could always try using an Australian or Canadian IP address through a VPN service. The 3.0.2 installer file itself is likely universal. It checks your local IP to determine what country you're in, and then retrieves from Luminar's server the approved version for your country.

Please sign in to leave a comment.