Frustrated

Comments

19 comments

michael durkin

As you probably know, an update or whatever they're calling it, is due to be delivered sometime this month. Sadly, this will be disaster adjustment number 367(a) or whatever so do make sure you prepare yourself for yet another let down...

In a way I wish people would stop putting pressure on them to fix these (in truth, quite unfixable) flaws and faults in the programme, it only serves to panic them into rushing out another of the usual bodged up ‘fixes’.

Still, it’s not all bad. Tonight I’ve managed to do three whole photos in four hours by simply reverting to their earlier( also bug ridden, totally flawed and never worked properly offing), namely Luminar 2018. This I achieved by making a change, saving it, shutting Luminar down, opening it up, carrying on making another adjustment, rinse, repeat...

But then; why can't we all simply step back, stop being so demanding, and simply take time to remember what it must have been like for those in the Great Depression?

No. It couldn't have been as bad as what Luminar wannabe users are going through..

Comment actions Permalink
    John Pendley

I protest because I spent good money for this mess.  Also because I really want this to work.  On the few occasions it has worked smoothly, I've found Luminar to be flexible and fun to use.  I hope you aren't right that the program is unfixable.  If you are right, though, I will demand my money back, and I think everyone else should do so.  In the meantime, Skylum continues to fill my inbox with offers of this and that.  (The promised holiday extra wouldn't download.)  If it frustrates them and causes them to rush for new fixes, I'm sorry.  That won't hinder me from expressing my dissatisfaction, and I won't enable their ineptitude by being silent.  Do you know of any other paid software, for any purpose, that has been so buggy that it's unusable, and for so long?  I  don't. 

michael durkin

Hi John; actually there is, in fact it operates in much the same way as Luminar does in that it recruits loads of pimps on YouTube (apparently quite unpaid and wholly unconnected with said companies we’re assured, while pumping out the same  ‘Jam Tomorrow folks!’ scam.

The problem with that other one is, it heats your pc up to dangerous levels as you struggle to get it to work – at least Luminar is so bad it shuts down well before that happens.

These YouTube pimps – just how do they sleep at night? Churn out seamless presentation after presentation on apparently a class of super efficient machines that we, as mere members of the public do not have, and are denied access to buying.

These people perpetuate the myth that it’s somehow all your fault that these third rate programmes won’t work on your machine – well, I just hope your letter of apology is sitting right there ready to be sent  as I write this John...!

Couple this with relentless ad campaigns all over the place, backed up with glowing testimonials from characters like ‘Herman B Schmergalmeister of Wisconsin (LA) – spamming away, well you get the drift I’m sure.

Luminar used to be great. It worked after a fashion and I admit, I loved it back then.

Leon Backland

Hi Michael, please elaborate on the 'Jam Tomorrow folks?' scam and third-rate programmes that won't work on our machines. I have no idea what you are referring to and how it relates to Luminar 3.

Leon Backland

Here are my suggested fixes for those frustrated with Luminar 3:

1. Update your PC to the latest Windows OS. I have a one-year old mid-range HP notebook w/ 8th Generation Intel Core i5 processor running on the latest version of Windows 10 and do not experience the degree of issues raised by those who are still running Windows 7. I strongly suspect Skylum's resources are insufficient to support every superseded version of Windows.
    2. If you're really keen to use this software as it was intended, then buy a Mac. I'm not doing it, but I notice that all the live webcast demos and promo videos on YouTube are done on Macs. Also, there are a lot fewer and less severe issues being reported on the Luminar Mac user forum.
    Kim Austin

@Leaon -- suggesting that W users need to upgrade to W10 seems odd, given that the minimum requirements to run L3 are W 7 or higher. If Skylum's resources are stretched to support what they advertise, then perhaps they need to have a long look at what they are doing in the software sector.

It's ludicrous is to suggest those wanting to use L3 should ditch their Windows machines and go Mac. Let's get real here -- people bought Luminar based on Skylum's advertising, which is still pulling in more users. Many of us have been enduring years of this, and have been very loyal.  In the face of this latest debacle, I would think that loyalty is almost gone.

Vance Zachary

I agree not all of us are experiencing the same problems on Windows with Luminar 3. I am not experiencing the slowness issues others have except in generating thumbnails. I have crashes only when doing a few specific things like re-editing an already edited image.

Luminar 3 Libraries are rather feature poor right now even when stable compared to other similar software. Hopefully Luminar Libraries will become more feature robust over the next 12 months and become a stronger competitor with other DAMs. Lack of being able use the Libraries to edit multiple bracketed images in Aurora or use plugins from other software other than Lightroom and Photoshop are significant shortcomings.

Also I think that feature parity with MAC should be a priority. There has been a lot of software that has started on one platform and added another and achieved parity in less than a year. Windows users should keep Skylum's feet to the fire until feature parity with MAC becomes a reality.

John Pendley

Skylum's compatibility with Win7 is clearly stated.  For it to be worth the money I spent on it, it should work as advertised.  Period.

When I complained to Skylum, I got a very detailed reply detailing numerous steps I should take to ensure compatibility.  I followed every instruction to the letter, though they took me into corners of Windows I didn't know existed.  Everything on my computer either met or exceeded requirements.  When I verified all this to Skylum, I got the simple reply that a fix was coming soon.  I've heard that before.

I'm not buying a new operating system or a new computer to make a $60 program (possibly) work.  That's preposterous.

I'm using Photoshop Elements, a free download of Perfect Effects, and Photoscape. They work, and two of them are free.  I repeat that all this is not only unacceptable, but it's also a shame since Lum3 (allegedly) does things my complicated workflow can't do.  But I judge by actions, not by promises.

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear you're having a frustrating experience with Luminar 3.

• Please ensure that your computer meets the system requirements posted here.
    • Let us know your version of the app (start Luminar > click Help > About Luminar).
    • If there are any updates for your Windows, install them.
    • Ensure that you have NET Framework 4.7.2. Download it here (click this text to open link).
    • Ensure that you have C++ 2013. Download it here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it. 
    • Ensure that you have Visual C++ 2015. Download it here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.

In case the steps above didn't help:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
      and attach this text file to an email to support@skylum.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John Pendley

Thanks, Angela.  I got these exact instructions in an email several days before I posted here.  I followed them to the letter, and my computer met or exceeded all parameters.  When I reported the results of the 2nd set of instructions to Skylum, I got no reply, there apparently was nothing amiss, since I then was simply told that an update was on the way.

Denis Kotsee

The communication you mentioned occurred on Feb 01. The last email we've received from you was on Feb 02 where you reported an overly long export time. It appears that you've opened my colleague's reply to this email of yours as well. Maybe you used an alternative email address to contact us? I can't seem to find any unanswered emails in the thread with ******2@gmail.com.

John Pendley

I received emails from two of your colleagues, Olha and Anna.  The one signed Olha had instructions identical to those above, sent by Angela.  As I noted above, I followed those instructions, and my computer met or exceeded each one.  I was mistaken about one thing.  The last email, prior to today, was dated 2/2 and simply asked if I was connected to the internet (I was) and gave me my activation code, which I already had.

As far as I can tell, the only place to enter the code is during installation, else the program would not open  I don't see a place--usually in the Help menu--to reenter or verify it.

I've only used one email address.

Dmytro B.

Hi John, I would definitely recommend waiting for our next update - Luminar 3.0.2, it's going to be released next week. Otherwise, you can use Luminar 2018 as a temporary workaround, as it currently works more stable. If you'd prefer to get a refund, it's also possible.

John Pendley

Thanks, Dmytro B.  I'll wait for the update.

Leon Backland

Dmytro B,

I'm in Canada and already updated to Luminar 3.0.2 last week. It manifests some of the issues mentioned on this and other Luminar 3 community message boards.

When Luminar 3.0.2 is released to the rest of the world next week, does that mean Canada and Australia continue to live with the buggy version of 3.0.2 that we were fortunate(?) early recipients of last week? Or will we get fixed release 3.0.3?

// Confused in Canada

Dmytro B.

Hi Leon, you'll be also able to download our new Luminar 3.0.2 build with at least 4 critical issues fixed.

Leon Backland

Thanks, Dmytro.

I posted the same question on multiple L3 Windows message board streams. You're the first to answer so thanks for that : )

John Pendley

I downloaded the latest version of Luminar 3, today.  After successfully editing three images, I was ready to post my thanks and congratulations to Skylum.  Then, I processed a fourth image, exported it, and the program froze.  It froze the entire computer, as well. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear that! We need some additional information to investigate the issue. Please send the following to support@skylum.com:

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Create a .zip file out of the Luminar Catalog folder. Click here if you need help with that.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, please send us event logs. Also, please briefly describe what precedes the crashes.

1. Cause the crash.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.

We'll need the following information for troubleshooting:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pf15jdigd0mgt4/ViewHID.exe.zip?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HID1 and HID2 codes from the application's window and send them to us.

Please sign in to leave a comment.