January update

Comments

25 comments

Geoffrey Hahn

Here's a link to another thread where Anne Veres stated the next update would be out within 10 days:  https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360040152891-Luminar-3-when-will-it-be-really-usable-   Her post was made yesterday, so hopefully we'll be seeing the update in a week and a half.

Geoffrey Hahn

And, they weren't rude at all when they asked you to submit your question here,and you definitely were not "chastised".  That facebook page IS for sharing photos,not for griping.  I made the same mistake that you did, but you don't see me complaining.  I simply reposted in the appropriate forum here, and got a response within 4 hours time, which I still think is pretty awesome for a small software company that is obviously overwhelmed by the successful launch of a brand spanking new software application that is extremely complex.

Kim Austin

Thanks, but I'd like some personal customer service. So waiting to see how long that happens, if ever.

Kim Austin

Geoffrey -- mind your business. If I want your advice I'll ask for it. I don't think I'm alone in my frustrations.  Successful launch is a bit of a stretch. In your opinion they are fine.  In mine, perhaps not.  Go analyse someone else cos you're falling on deaf ears here.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

Colin Grant

With the greatest respect, they are overwhelmed due to the failure of the launch not because of its success. If you doubt me I recommend you browse these forums fully.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Kim! Geoffrey is right, the update will be out within 8-9 days now.
    Best regards,

Geoffrey Hahn

Kim, don't bother posting in a public forum if you don't want to hear comments contrary to your bitter, pathetic view.  Colin, this was a successful release for Skylum.  You bought the software, Kim bought the software, and lots and lots of other people bought the software.  Most of those people have not complained of issues with the software, possibly because most people understand that first releases of incredibly complicated software can and often are problematic.  Heck, look at Windows 10 for a prime example.  If you think otherwise, go ahead and create your own digital image processing system for the Windows platform and see how much fun it can be to build an application that works correctly over a widely disparate set of hardware options. Oh, wait, you can't, can you?  The software has been out for what?  8-10 weeks, and here you are, moaning and griping because it doesn't work properly on YOUR computer.  Ever think that maybe the problem is with YOUR computer? Have you bothered to even check to see if all of your drivers are up to date?  I doubt you even know how.  But, go ahead and emulate Donald Trump and whine and moan and stomp your foot about how unfair life is to you.  Boo-hoo-hoo.  Have a nice day, now!

Colin Grant

Geoffrey, wrong! I did not buy it I received it free being a 2018 owner. If I had paid for it I would have asked for a refund by now as many have. I suppose you could say it was successful for Skylum but at the expense of users. And I really do not care how complex it is. They have a responsibility to deliver what they advertise and if that involves getting to grips with complexity so be it. That is the devs problem so please do not make it mine. And the software has not been out just for 8 to10 weeks - the first Luminar was Neptune back in 2017. It should be mature by now - it does not even have decent masking tools. Not to mention the crass layer implementation, a dam that was first muted in 2017 but has still not arrived - it is just a basic (very) browser with no search, no keywords, no smart albums. And what about the project files that were implemented with 2018 but have now been left out of the build.

And please spare me the rubbish about try and do it myself. That is totally irrelevant. I cannot build an aeroplane but I expect those who do to do it properly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer - everything with Luminar runs as expected. That is to say that all issues I have found are accepted as known bugs to be put right sometime. Oh and my drivers are fine - they are not usually an issue on Mac.

Kim Austin

Geoffrey Hahn...I didn't need your unsolicited personal attack on me.  I wanted a help person representing the company to respond, not you. Interesting you mentioned your illustrious "president". You're not making your commentary any more convincing when you bring politics into it.

Colin Grant is correct in that this isn't a new release as you insist.  It's just another fail, to follow the previous ones. You think few have complained?  I suggest reading through the other forums. Telling someone to check their drivers is hilarious, and assuming that they don't know how to "Have you bothered to even check to see if all of your drivers are up to date?  I doubt you even know how." OMG -- how insulting is that!

I think you'll find that Colin is quite capable of knowing his computer. As he said, Macs rarely have driver issues, unlike Windoze machines.

Kim Austin

Anastasia Davis -- thank you for responding. So the late January, early February update, now becomes the mid February update.  Are you able to advise what is holding up this one? Surely you can find that out and advise your loyal, though frustrated customers? Maybe a statement from Alex might be possible?  Being in the dark is frustrating.

Colin Grant

Kim/Mike, I think we all see the potential of Luminar and whilst we despair of Skylum and their history we all hope they can get it right soon. This is to an extent the last chance saloon and I just hope they appreciate that and react accordingly. They will still get my vote if they do but the "new kids on the block" excuse has timed out now.

Kim Austin

Yes Colin. Agree 100%. Thanks. Off to bed now - 1am Sunday in Oz.  Enjoy your day.

Colin Grant

And you mate. Sleep well :-)

K.G. Wuensch

@Colin, it‘s not as if Luminar 3 was their only completely botched release. Luminar 2018 was equally horriffic and even got worse over time with the last release in Novenber being the first for 6 months I could run on my Mac (not even considering the complete and utter failure of the Windows version) only to be greeted with a completely changed RAW comversion that made me request a belated refund because of inconsistency... Luminar 3 has been a complete debacle that any respectivle company would never have released in the first place, a half decent management would have retracted it, apologizing a lot. But no Skylum acted as if they are totally out if their depths and desperate to bring in some money, even if it meant to lose any remaining credibility they carried over from MacPhun...

Colin Grant

Agreed. But as I said above, I like the software or at least the concepts and general feel of it. I find the interface easy to work with, which is not the case with ON1 even though it is a long way ahead and capable of good results. This is the last chance saloon though so for the present Luminar stays as a plugin to Lr (or even DxO) on my Mac. If it is not sorted though it will come off and be 100% replaced by Nik.

I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head - Skylum are small, inexperienced and have ambitions above their current station. If, as I believe they have said, the company is not financed they will have a cash flow problem without doubt. That could mean curtains if they p off the customer base!

You know, I am happy to help. Might even be prepared to buy into something that is in development but only in exchange for full disclosure. The squadron of pigs has just flown by again :-)

K.G. Wuensch

Yes, seen them too, but failed to process the pictures in Lightroom, maybe you need Luminar to see them pigs in flight...

Duc Vu Anh

I have the message from Angela said all the issues they previously addressed to fix in 3.1.0 will be included in 3.0.2. Just a change of name, they save for the bigger, more prominant update, my guess.

I am a first time user of Luminar 2018, bought it pre-order late 2017, waited for it to be more mature and usable till now.

I can say Luminar bring my photography to the next level due to the less time spending on post processing, very user friendly interface, a lot of nice filter and presets/looks. It can be comaparable to the popular mobile photo editting: Snapseed. As a Fujifilm shooter, I shot jpg for 2 years with very happy result with Snapseed and the Luminar came and brought me the joy of editing RAW, again. No doubt, Luminar is the best RAW editor for Fuji files so far, to my knowledge.

Of course, it does not mean Luminar is perfect. I am tired of waiting for fixing bugs as you are. But, to be honest, I see the software improvement and skylum efforts, especially window version. I have to say i am eager to see the 3.0.2 update, should be faster and nicer :)

Lastly, you and I still posting here, mean we do care about Luminar, and do hope it will be better, in the not so distant future :). You can call me naive but i do have hope in Skylum. Lets see how good is the 3.0.2 :)

K.G. Wuensch

@Duc, I only post here because I am the poor sod who recommeneded the POS that is called Luminar and now have to help the friends that believed the audacious claims and discontinued their   Lightroom subscriptions and even shelled out more money by buying presets from the youtube shills...

Rob Strower

Well, Lightroom started in Feb.2007 and still there are bugs in there. Plus you have to pay every month.

Not for me but I am not a pro anyway.

I prefer Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 for what they are - tools that are great and joy to work with. I created many great pics using both and sure bugs are a problem esp. in Luminar 3 but nothing really serious for me (fingers crossed xD).

I am on Win 10 build 18323.19h1 (Insider) and it works pretty well with Luminar 3 and I additionally loaded the beta raw support from Micro$oft (available for 18323) and it works great with my Pentax files anyway (.dng RAW straight out of Camera with K200D and my trusted K3).

I am still using Luminar 2018 for single pics and Luminar 3 for small series of pics.

Bugs are annoying but don´t feel that bad about it, people. I paid €49 for Luminar 2018 and got Luminar 3 for free. Not a bad price for massive enhanced pics in my opinion.

I am pretty positive Skylum gets Luminar 3 straight this year (reminding you Lightroom took 12 years being on the level it is just now).

All the best,

Robin

Colin Grant

But I seem to recall the Jan/Feb update that was called 3.1.0 was to include more than just bug fixes originally. Also could you please list the significant bugs that are in Lr, which of course has far more capability both in terms of a dam and an editor, as such info would be helpful to those considering Lr as an option. And finally could you please give us an overview of your usage as saying it runs fine on my machine means absolutely nothing by itself - do you use layers extensively or at all for instance, do you use you the Library and if so how and how big is your catalogue. Not sure what paying every month for Lr has to do with the quality of L3's coding.

Incidentally if L3 is so good why are you still using 2018 at all? 

Rob Strower

Lightroom:

Some selfmade presets are not working properly.

Going from one pic to the other - still slow

You have to import every time you changed or moved some pics out from or into the catalogue

Problems with display drivers from both AMD and Intel.

And many "smaller" bugs and problems, too many to handle.

Why I do use both? well, I like to quote myself:

I am still using Luminar 2018 for single pics and Luminar 3 for small series of pics

Single pics are faster to edit using Luminar 2018 and series are easy with Luminar 3 (settings-same look).

More money, more programmers, more support, but still bugs.

I don´t want to further debate anything here for no reason and before you freak out what is your attention at all?

I just don´t get it. Are you frustrated or angry about Skylum or the way they handle the users of Luminar?

What is your point?

Again, Lightroom took Adobe 12 years getting to the point it is at for now.

Luminar 3 has real time tracking catalogue, faster handling of previews and some other things.

Yes, bugs are a serious problem for many users depending on their workflow.

Calm down and get a rest, hopefully main bugs get fixed with the update coming in next week.

If you don´t want to, it is your thing anyway. I don´t really care. No offense.

Regards,

Robin

Colin Grant

Lr is not slow here particularly and no problem with presets or display drivers. But that’s windoze for you - your problems sound to an extent hardware related which of course is hardly Adobes fault. What I get fed up with is people saying oh it works ok here and that is it when every users profile is different. The statement says nothing and helps nobody.  Note what you say re Luminar so L3 is not a replacement for 2018 so not that good then. 

I just hate people banging on about Adobe when it is a far, far superior app to Luminar - and I like Luminar or would if it did what it says on the tin. It has been here since Neptune but it still has very limited masking capabilities, it is poor on Windows and L3 is even poor on Mac. The Dam should have been here at least a year ago but irrespective of that what gives a software company the right to release what really is a beta. It actually works ok (ish) on my Mac but no search, no exif, no keywords…the list goes on…makes it useless as a prime editor/dam. So I use it as a plugin to…..yes Lr where it works quite well. This next update is crucial for L3, and possible for Skylum itself. I hope they make it, I really do.

Have you tried to get your Lr bugs sorted on the Lr forum? They are a helpful crowd and most (not all I agree) have been found to be user/hardware issues.

Jakob Beclin

It's Wednesday, February 6th, here in Europe - and still no update for Luminar 3. Here in the forum the update is constantly postponed, on Facebook was even written in 10 days!

I am slowly but surely losing my patience. Luminar 3 is not usable in its current form - it's slow and has such bad bugs that I'm seriously wondering why an update wasn't added here immediately.

I paid for this software and demand that I can use it! I bought Luminar a month ago and haven't been able to use it yet.

Now once again the question: When will the update 3.0.2 with the performance improvements come out?

Kim Austin

Thursday here in Australia. Good luck getting a straight answer. According to Anastasia Davis (Skylum Support) in this thread 5 days ago, "the update will be out within 8-9 days now." So we should see it in 3-4 days. Believe that when it happens.

Winfield Terry

The people who say it works fine are probably just doing some basic adjustments.  Please go in and try to clone out something, you can't even select a 2nd sample point on the Windows platform.  Try to increase your brush size with the bracket keys, doesn't work and it's super slow to have to go to the top to adjust brush size every time.  Try editing a picture with the sky AI enhancer and then editing something else and going back to try to re-edit that 1st pic, you can't do it.  There is a laundry list of things that are not working properly with the application and scream lack of Alpha and beta testing.  You can rush software to release when there are minor bugs that impact a small % of people and don't actually cause the software to be neutered.  I bought it back when it was 2018 with the understanding it was getting this awesome DAM and I was going to use Luminar and Affinty to replace my Creative Cloud sub.  Affinity is quite good for the record, and I've moved on to testing out ON1 Photo Raw which has a good implementation of a sudo DAM that I quite prefer to Adobe's.  ON1 migrated my LR catalog over w/o issue so all my keywords, ratings, edits etc came right on over.  I honestly would be scared to try that with Skylum when they launch that feature and would need to create some test catalogs.  I too hope they can pull it together because I find the interface nice and enjoyed 2018, though to be honest I didn't use it all that much because I was waiting on the DAM to cancel creative cloud.  

I like the conversations but not seeing these threads turn into personal attacks.  Nobody here wants Skylum to fail, at least I don't think so, we just want a FULLY functioning product.  Take features out if they aren't ready for prime time, push out the release and be honest with people.  I think a general apology from the company would go a long way also to admit that they SOLD a product that was not what was advertised.  Taking responsibility I think would go a long ways to calming people down.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, has time to shoot and edit (in whatever program you are using)

Please sign in to leave a comment.