Thumbnails and exports have the wrong dimensions (portrait vs landscape)

Comments

17 comments

Tony Collins

I have the same. From luminar:

"it is a known issue, the devs are working on it and it will be fixed in a future update"

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360040367572-Hugely-Disappointed (fourth post)

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

There are lots of known issues that will be dealt with in a future update. Would be good to know when:-)

Tony Collins

Agreed. I just about managed to avoid putting a "rolleyes" on my previous post.

Anastasia Davis

Hi! It is correct, we are aware of this issue. It occurs due to wrong Exif data reading. We are working on it.

Guys, we are doing our best to resolve all of them. Sometimes it is hard to tell you an ETA because some tasks have higher priority, for instance. 
    Best regards,

Colin Grant

But in the meantime you continue to sell a flawed product knowingly and without any idea when the bugs will be fixed. Indeed you are selling a flawed product without disclosing those bugs! And you wonder why people have a downer on Skylum,!

Jerry Dean

Could you imagine going to a restaurant and ordering the new chef's special dish which turns out to be not prepared correctly as advertised and being told but we are working on it and will try to fix it on the next go around?  

Anastasia Davis

I can understand your feelings, you might be right. 
    The thing I know for sure is that we are working hard and there is no comment/email/post that we are not taking seriously. Each our customer is heard, each issue is reported. We are improving. That is why it is a pity to hear that someone is not satisfied with our service/product.
    Hope you will change your mind after a couple of updates and Luminar will retain your support.

Colin Grant

@Anastasia, the fact that we are all still here, even if only just, is that we think the product has promise. But remember Luminar launched in 2017 so should be mature by now. A lot of us are getting fed up with second rate releases and all that entails. I hope you can make the grade as you promise but in the near future not 18 months down the road (your already wide timelines keep slipping). This could well be the "last chance saloon" for Skylum - don't blow it. Some of us are doubtful. Prove us wrong :-)

Tony Collins

Anastasia

Colin is right. The ability to work with our old collections of images * is fundamental to any image editor - especially one with claimed DAM functionality. As it is, it is literally not fit for purpose (I can't use it for over 1/3 of my image files), and not as described. I've stuck with you for over a year so far purchasing L18 in Nov 17 - what happens if I can still not edit my images by the time you stop developing L3 and force me to upgrade? I keep getting told you appreciate my patience. And I am willing to be patient. What I will not be prepared to do is pay again for functionality I've already paid for.

* - including jpg's that won't display (or output) correctly and raw files in the supported list that don't work at all (Canon D30 - also not working in L2018 - how long has that bug existed - will it *ever* be fixed?) 

Neil Armstrong

100% agree with the above comments. "we are working on it" as a statement is starting to wear thin. I for one have just had to renew my Adobe subscription due to your flawed software, which I bought to replace Adobe and get away from there subscription service. Seems I now pay twice!

Karen Brockney

This seems to be corrected for the CR2 Raw format in the latest update - 3.1.1. However, I have to convert my CR3 RAW format files to DNG to be able to edit them in Luminar 3 - and it's not working for DNG files. The thumbnails for portrait mode photos are really messed up in Gallery view. It takes a few seconds for them to display correctly in Single Photo view, too.

Kate Williams

Hi Karen,

Please get in touch with us via https://skylum.com/support so that we could take a look at your particular case. 

Neil Armstrong

I also have this problem since the update. My Leica's native RAW format is DNG. The latest update has trashed all DNG previews in the portrait format. You see half the preview and he other half is blurred horizontal lines. If you open the image to edit it eventually corrects to the correct view after some time, up to 30 seconds so far. go back to library view and the thumbnail is ok again. However on closing Luminar and reopening the thumbnails are  broken again. Was this even tested with DNG formats before release?

Anna V

Hi Neil,

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way.

Karen Brockney

Neil Armstrong - Are you using the Adobe Digital Negative Converter for your DNGs? I discovered that if you uncheck "Use lossy compression" in your Preferences in the Adobe DNG Converter, the thumbnails appear correctly. For me, it was using lossy compression that created the distorted thumbnails.

Karen Brockney

Neil - Oops! I see that you are getting your DNGs in camera. I wonder if there is a camera setting you can use to stop lossy compression?

Neil Armstrong

The DNG's come out of the camera lossless. I am then compressing with Adobe to save drive space. I know, I know you can buy bigger drives cheaply. Seen this argument many times on many forums. But I have a Mac with its SSD quite small, not upgradable in the Mac as soldered to motherboard, so external is the only way to go. I find Luminar slow enough without adding an external drive into the equation.

Point is the thumbnails where correct, only a tad dark, before the latest update. Seems they fix one thing and something else is affected by the fix.

It was Jpegs from a phone that where displaying the wrong way up which I reported in the very beginning. Moved away from a Samsung phone and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Please sign in to leave a comment.