Bug: Looks with AI Sky Enhancer

Comments

12 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Erwin,

I see what you're referring to. In the image I tested the AI Sky Enhancer was added at the slider set to 85 (but not changeable). If I toggled the visibility icon to see the effect, there was no change to the image. 

Since a Look is a grouping of filter settings, and can used with all filters (including AI Sky Enhancer, when a sky is present) it will also be visible, but not editable in photos without a sky.

Is there another behavior that would make more sense to you? If so, I can definitely share it with our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jörn Reppenhagen

Angela: Funny question, asking for a better behavior. ;)
    Just don't show the AI Sky Enhancer with the looks if there's no sky.

Perfecture

@Jörn Reppenhagen what if you have a photo without a sky that you want to overlay with another photo that has a sky? Locking the presence or absence of the filter to the base layer having or not having a sky doesn't seem like a flexible solution to me.

Jörn Reppenhagen

Perfecture: My answer referred to the present situation, meaning to avoid a AI Sky Enhancer added to the edit process with no means of disabling it.

Easy solution: Don't show that tool in the *Looks panel* (it's just about this) if the picture has no sky.

This does not prevent you from selecting it manually from the choice of filters.

Erwin Kargl

Hi Angela, maybe you should just remove the "locked state" of the filter when there is no sky.

Thinking about speed:

1. adding this AI filter does analyse the image to know, if there is sky in the image or not
    2. and this probably happens every time switching from one to another image which has this filter added
    3. if there is no sky, the sliders get locked ... but why? If there is no sky, the slider should not change something in the image???!
    4. Why not analysing the image only, when I tend to use it = move the slider of the filter, not when I add it?

Means, that if there is this filter in a Look, it can be added with the Look, but one can change it, not just delete it. Like now it brings funny blueish in an image without sky.

Erwin

Perfecture

I see, so you meant to simply exclude the AI Sky Enhancer from all the looks altogether? I don't know if that's a reasonable thing to do, since they have already promised a fix in the next update, if I understand correctly. I mean, even if ASE is present on a photo that has no sky in it, the filter has no effect.

Jörn Reppenhagen

Perfecture: No, I guess you still didn't get me 100 % right - but that might happened because I did express myself in a slightly clumsy way. ;)

If I got Erwin right, he found it strange you cannot use ASE if there's no sky detected in the picture, but it's still possible to use it in the Looks panel. But with the drawback that you cannot change it's setting later, after it got applied.
    So it's a quite strange situation: Impossible to use ASE with "skyless" pictures the regular way, but still possible to use it via the Looks panel - but being unable to change it's setting after applying it once.

Then Angela asked for ideas about that.

Simplest "solution" would be excluding ASE from the Looks panel if there's no sky, while that's no real solution, also my suggestion wasn't meant too serious. ;)

Now got me right? ;)

Perfecture

I did, thanks for elaborating!

To me, the possible issue with removing ASE from looks based on the presence or absence of the sky in a photo, is that it would require creating a whole new logic for looks.

I think implementing a check like this is too time- and resource-consuming, given the very small outcome of a certain filter not appearing in looks when there's a sky in a photo. That's why I think folks over at Skylum decided to keep the ASE in looks, and just disable it on images that have no sky.

Jörn Reppenhagen

Fully agree, Perfecture. ;)

There's far more important issues to get rid of.

This one's just for the protocol. :D

Erwin Kargl

Hi, thanks for your discussion.

Like I wrote, I think there are some possibilities for speed up L3 with those little things.

@Angela: please discuss it with your developers.

Thanks

Erwin

Erwin Kargl

Ahhhh ... why is my second/edited post marked with "Pending approval" ...

Erwin

Dmytro Boyko

@Erwin, we do pass all the info on to our developers, the best solutions will be then implemented in our future updates.Thanks for all your feedback!

Please sign in to leave a comment.