Comments

14 comments

Colin Grant

Why? Surely all photos is just that, all of them. Or are you saying it is not displaying them all?

Comment actions Permalink
    Erwin Kargl

I have raw files in a folder and the exported jpgs in a subfolder of this folder. Like now there is no chance to see only a folders files without their subfolders. In LR is an option to switch this behavior on / off. That's what I want for Luminar too.

Colin Grant

Are you referring to the main library including sub folders in the view when you would like the option to include them or not? 

Erwin Kargl

Yes, the main library should have a switch to show images in subfolders yes/no.

Colin Grant

I can see why that would help. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Erwin,

I don't have any news on this item at the moment, but it is on our feature request list.

Colin Grant

@Erwin, have you considered keeping your images in sub folders? I have a structure that looks like the below. When I view the Main Folder I can see all images but if I want to view just RAW I switch to the RAW sub folder. Likewise for the jpegs etc.

Main Folder (just the name of the subject/project. Holds no images, is just a container for the subfolders)

- Subfolder 1: Original RAW files (for browsing and editing)

- Subfolder 2: Edited files (the jpeg/tiff outfit from the RAW edits)

Just a thought.

pierre lion

However there are turnarounds, it would be a very useful improvement !

Regards

Pierre

Colin Grant

I do not see that as a workaround. It  is how I work. I never file images in the top level folder so any change of this nature would be academic to me and I cannot see that it would impact my workflow for good or bad. Either way, I offer "my way" as a way of perhaps helping Erwin out of a problem. That's about it really :-)

Jörn Reppenhagen

I need to second Erwin.
    I also regard it as quite a nuisance if a folder view can't be limited to it's very contents excluding any subfolders.

Example: I queeze my JPGs into a typical YYYY-MM-DD folder, move the RAW files into a subfolder. I'll then create another folder inside the RAW folder for edited photos.

Now I wish to see the JPG files ONLY if I select the main folder. For faster display and having a clear separation of JPGs and RAWs. Unfortunately, the toy DAM (sorry, Skylum, but that's the way it is at present) doesn't let me see which photo is a JPG, which is a RAW in the gallery view (WHY ???).

I also don't wish to see a crude mixture of JPGs, RAWs and edited pictures, I wish to be able to choose.

Like the star ratings - I do NOT wish to see pictures with "three stars and above", I wish to see pictures with three stars, only. If there was a "<= | = | =>" switch, it would be quite nice.

Same with the folders.

There's a reason for different compartments in the cutlery drawer, right?

A heaped pile of cutlery is as useful as pictures of all sorts displayed in a solid mess after clicking the parent folder.

Colin Grant

Why do you feel the need to second anybody? This is not a competition. If you feel the need for such an enhancement go to Skylum and ask for it. All I was doing is giving Erwin a way through the issue given the way in which the software operates now. It is not I suspect going to change in the near future so Erwin might find this approach useful. If he does not that is fine.

As for you and your analogy re cutlery, well you are entitled to your views and I mine. The way I do it gives me complete segregation of the things I want segregated. Sure if I look in the high level folder it shows me everything. If I do no want that view guess what - I do not look in that folder or at least I ignore the view and go straight to the relevant sub folder. Reverting back to the cutlery drawer - yes there is a reason for each compartment and each compartment is a sub folder of the main folder (the cutlery drawer). When you look in a cutlery drawer you can see the contents of all the sub folders (compartments). If you just want to see the knives you have to look specifically in the knife compartment.

What I do feel is that any overview should be split to show the file divisions. So looking at the high level folder should provide an overview of all the images broken down by subfolder. Without at least this the "heap" view is pretty meaningless. As for displaying sub folders or not, It is a preference and I would not argue against its inclusion. I just cannot get excited about it at this time as my workflow does not depend on it. That will not be the case for everybody.

Erwin Kargl

Hi to all, thanks for the suggestions and discussion. I already thought about changing my workflow, but didn't do it. All filesystems show the content of the current folder, excluding subfolders. that's how it's possible to organise files properly. I don't think the programmers of Luminar use a filesystem where all files are shown in a flat view, mixed up from all folders and subfolders... if it would be like this, they could not do their job. So why should a photographer be able to make his job with this settings.

@Skylum Team: please consider to add this option soon, thanks.

Jörn Reppenhagen

Don't feel offended, Colin, it's not meant that way. ;)

It's to second Erwin's opinion, and that's really meant that way – for moving the scale a little further down towards Erwins opinion. :D

If Skylum notices a 50:50 split of opinions, the natural reaction would be just none. If half of the folks like it the way it is; why head for a change and displease the other half? ;)

I like your idea of visually splitting the main folders contents, creating a clear separation between main and subfolders.
    Oh, if Luminar's "DAM" would just show me file names and file types, neatly arranged with equally sized tiles and clear separations of the photos. Yes, just like LR does it. They didn't do that without a reason.
    Drawback is the additional computing power it needs for e. g. displaying the JPGs in the main plus the RAW files in the subfolder, not to mention the clutter caused by wildly mixing all files into a big hea.
    I wish to get a quick overview over the stuff I like to see at the moment, spy out a JPG I like (for which I need to see the file name, Skylum!), then drill further down the RAW folder to choose the RAW equivalent of that JPG for editing.

Turned out to be the quickest and most comfortable way, at least for me.

At present, I use a freeware tool (FastStone Image Viewer) for achieving that, using Luminar as an external editor.
    Not the way Luminar's DAM was meant, but the far better alternative at present.

Colin Grant

No problem Jorn, I am probably being oversensitive :-) Like many I too use L3 as a plugin, to Lr in my case, but more and more I am leaning towards DxO PL. DxO is coming along nicely with its DAM development and the existing browser is already more powerful than Luminar's Library. Have to admit I do like editing in Luminar but there is nothing I can do in Luminar that I cannot do in DxO or Lr with Nik. I just like the Luminar editing workflow. That said, the Library probably suites some but to be honest Apple Photos offers far better functionality, which is where I export the jpegs arising from post recessing the raw.

Please sign in to leave a comment.