Stability issues still persisting

Comments

8 comments

Steve Ratts

Hi Ann,

This sounds like a catalog issue, which I think may stem from L3 stability issues you've seen. If its been crashing on you then perhaps the catalog got corrupted? I believe that can cause very slow starts and may also cause further crashing. In the short run, if you've not already tried it, you may want to try moving your Luminar catalog to another folder (so Luminar doens't find it). Then when you start Luminar it should prompt you for a catalog. I'd start with a fresh catalog and see if you can get it to work better that way. By moving the old one (vs. deleting it) you've still got it and can go back later if this isn't the fix.

The point isn't to "solve" the problem by tossing all your work out, but rather to see if the problem is related to the catalog. The real solution will no doubt come as a new version from Skylum so that this sort of problem is resolved gracefully or just doesn't happen in the first place. But in the mean time it would be good to know if the problem can at least be isolated to the catalog.

Steve

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Ann,

If Steve's suggestion above doesn't help, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Ann Wheatley

Just want to make sure I understand before I try this.  Steps are:

• Move catalogue to another folder
    • Start Luminar 3

Then what exactly do you mean by "start with a fresh catalogue"?  Does this equate to Luminar rescanning my photolibrary folders/subfolders?

A

Angela Andrieux

(Hi Ann,

When you next start Luminar 3 it will ask you which catalog to open. You can either point it to the one you moved, or as in Steve's suggestion, click to use the Default catalog which will create a new catalog in the default location (your pictures folder).

This new catalog will be empty and will allow you to test out L3 by adding just a few images. If this works well then the issue is with your previous catalog.  In that instance please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll provide further instructions.

Ann Wheatley

Hi Angela and Steve,

Thanks to both of you.  Did as recommended.  Luminar starts more quickly and didn't crash during a half hour of test editing. So it seems that the issue is with my catalogue.  I will send a message to support for further instructions as you've suggested.  

Maryna Skylum

Hi Ann!
    Great to hear everything is fine now.

Will gladly help you via email.

Phil Hurd

Hi Ann, don't know if this helps.

I find Luminar 3 slow to open but once its started its fine. So if I know I'm going to do some editing I open Luminar 3 and leave it open all day. I'm hoping that the next release will improve this situation.

The other thing I did was to move the Luminar Catalogue Database to my main hard disk. All my images are on an external Firewire drive and I initially put the Luminar 3 Catalogue on the same drive but it was slow. Moving it to the main hard drive certainly improved things, even though my images remain on the external drive.

Ann Wheatley

An experimenting with that now. Thanks Phil.

Please sign in to leave a comment.