Luminar 3, same response, next update will be better... 

Comments

65 comments

Jacques Demers

I completely agree with you. Its always the next update and they are always sorry for the inconveniences. Also It took forever to make the adjustable gradient filter work properly.

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

Don‘t think the Mac version is that much better - it‘s just botched in different ways... And to think I recommended this POS once, it has brought me a lot of loss of credibility doing so!

Vance Zachary

Not sure I agree with all the negativity though I truly can understand the frustration. The Windows version 2018 got closer to mac version as time went on last year. Still quite a ways to go.

I gifted a copy of Luminar 3 to a relative who is an avid photographer who uses Lightroom for Christmas and became concerned with all of the instability and bugs to be ironed out.

Last week that relative called me to tell me how much he enjoyed using the program on his Windows machine. In fact, he had searched the Internet and was downloading new free LUTS and looks. He had already used it to process and store his Christmas photos.

I guess he didn't get the memo that Luminar 3 was unusable!

K.G. Wuensch

@Vance, I would be very weary about any of the bugs happening later - because then the damage will be greater, possibly insurmountable. So I would warn against it's use, especially if it has been a gift by me (I would exchange it for a year's worth of LR+PS subscription immediately)...

Kert

The negativity is well deserved in this case.

This is a program which promises to do great many things and actually fails to do most of these things because as soon as you have more than few hundred images it just fails. Spectacularly.

There is no real excuse for putting out the product in such a broken shape. They had a 2018 version which was, supposedly, working reasonably well, just did not have DAM module. They should have keep to it and release the version with DAM module when its actually usable. Supposedly late Jan or early Feb 2019. We will see how much issues this promised Jesus patch will actually save.

They are not some kind of indy setup or underdog. They had a more or less properly working product and have been at it for years. It is just not possible that the current issues with the DAM module did not get noticed during even a basic Q&A. Jet they have chosen to put out product like it is currently.

Colin Grant

It only fails spectacularly on Windows then. I have a test catalogue of 4k images on my Mac and it runs sweet as a nut, give or take a few initial bugs that should hopefully be sorted next update. I also believe there are Windows users who are running with more than a few hundred images without major problem. Clearly it is wrong to generalise but then we all know that I guess.

K.G. Wuensch

@Colin, it's not much better on MacOS. It's horribly broken there too - just there are different bugs and glaring design mistakes...

Colin Grant

We've have been here before and clearly you are not enamoured with the software, That's fine so don't use it. But please do us all a favour and stop posting negativity on the forum. You have made your point and we the other users have made a decision wether to heed your warning or not. No spectacular failings here and I am happy that Skylum have the back-up/restore thing in hand. No doubt you have heard that there is a 45 day money back guarantee.

K.G. Wuensch

@Colin, I am unfortunately not alone, I have recommended Luminar to friends and some of them unfortunately bought the POS... I have already bailed and got my refund but as a software developer myself it falls to me to support the above friends when they have problems with the software I advised them to buy... So I test every release to see which problems have been solved but it's not looking good, instead of concentrating on correcting the bugs they are spending a lot of effort to include new functions and don't fix long standing bugs (there are serious issues that have been breaking Luminar 2018 for me as far back as November 2017 which still are unsolved)...

Dennis Alden

I'm afraid I have to add my two cents here too.

@Colin In my opinion (your mileage obviously varies) having a DAM product that works 'as sweet as a nut' on a system with 4K images is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. It needs to run 'sweet as a nut' on at least 400K images if it is intended to be a professional quality DAM.

If the product is aimed squarely at the 'occasional' photographer who might have a few thousand images then fine - I have no problem with that - BUT the marketing should clearly state that.

Like Mr. Wuensch I am a professional software developer and I find it outrageous that this product was released in the state that it was. That, and the fact that with all the known issues it is still be sold to an unsuspecting public, has certainly shaken my confidence in Skylum as a company.

I await the end of the month with interest but knowing how software development timescales tend to extend way beyond what was promised (and still not deliver what was promised!) I really cannot see Luminar being a viable DAM product for at least a year, although I will be very happy to be proved wrong :-)

Colin Grant

Your personal views are valid to you and I am sure you enjoy them and stand by them. As I have said you have made your observations and some of us choose to disregard them. That is or should be the end of it.  So please do not keep banging on about it. To be frank I am surprised that a so called pro would even bother with a 1st generation DAM that was never going to be fully featured out of the gate. Even I took the view that I should use an alternative until such time as Skylum got somewhere near my needs regarding DAM functionally. The 4k image catalogue is solely a test to see how the Library performs and improves.

Dennis Alden

@Colin - You do not need to read my posts - and I WILL continue to 'bang on' about Skylums lack of professionalism as I see fit - if you do not like my opinion jog on. When I purchased the software I saw nothing that informed me that I was being an unpaid beta tester.

Colin Grant

Bang away then but do not tag me in your rants. You will achieve little, that is the undeniable fact. Yawn.... I’ m bored now.

Winfield Terry

@Colin you keep defending Skylum when anyone who has any IT background will tell you there is no way this product should have launched as a production release and paid version.  Some can excuse the DAM functionality not working properly, it's as you said 1st generation but they have done more than release a DAM that doesn't work properly. 

The editing aspect of the software is unusable to do any type of serious editing.  You can't use the sky AI without losing the ability to edit the picture again at a later time, you have no shortcut keys to even change a brush size forcing you to manually use the slider to change size which is time consuming.  Try and do some clone work in the product, you can't pick a new sampling area without clicking done and then opening a new clone session.  The CORE of the product is an image editor and it fails miserably at that.  2018 was much better at what it did and I'm shocked to see how poorly they rolled the editor into Luminar 3.  It is almost like nobody did any beta testing on this product because the fundamental failures are so glaring.  Luckily my LR sub is paid through June so I can afford to wait and see how quickly they address the shortcomings.  

Colin Grant

I am not defending it but on Mac I manage my editing just fine. There are indeed bugs that should not be there but I have faith that they will fix them. If not it does not really matter as my  main editing is Adobe and I do not see that changing any time soon (unless DxO crack it). I will just move from Luminar to perhaps Nik. The point is that it has all been said and we must either accept where we are and have faith or bail out and get a refund. Going over the same old, same old does not help irrespective of whether one has an IT background or not.

So I am not happy with the release or the marketing but have made a decision I am happy to live with.

Winfield Terry

I am waiting also as well, but to be honest their ability to hit deadlines is less than stellar so I'm not holding my breath for this early Feb. release.  No doubt it will eventually happen and since I have had it since 2018 version I am way past my refund deadline, not that I would seek one as the price of the product is incredibly inexpensive.  I was looking for a way to ditch Adobe creative suite and Lumiar along with Affinity Photo were my LR and PS replacements.  I just do my edits in the 2018 version as you can run them side by side and LR is my DAM for the moment. 

I do however disagree with you on rehashing things as I think it could be beneficial to folks who either recently purchased or are thinking about it so they can see what is wrong and right with the product.  Keeping a post current and on the front page helps it from getting buried and not seen.  

Colin Grant

Sorry where did I mention rehashing or do you mean my reference to keep regurgitation the same old stuff? If so we just have to agree that we disagree. The vast majority of Luminar users probably do not visit this forum anyway so it really does just bog everything down. If someone has an issue they can search the forum or ask and someone will respond.

michael durkin

Personally I don't care (within a reasonable time) when the promised 'update' arrives. We all know we'll be bitterly disappointed with it any way so I’d suggest we stop whining on about it and accept we’ve been taken for er, silly fellows - - much like the investors who also put their money in to finance this disaster.

Great fun though!

Colin Grant

Not sure there are any significant investors. There was, I believe, a point where the CEO mentioned the company was started and run without borrowing. If that is so that might be their problem in that they are trying to grow too fast and cannot finance the development - they have to make the money before they can use it to fund said development. Not easy to juggle that one!

Anyway I do not see Luminar as a complete disaster. It is still running fine as a plugin to Lr on my Mac and I am getting some decent results. Just need the performance to be tweaked and the editing side will be fine for me. The DAM has much further to go for my needs but it is running my test catalogue of 4500 images just fine. But I agree there is  no point in the continual moaning and groaning. We are where we are and we all know it :-)

michael durkin

But it's so disappointing and frustrating.  I've just finished some photos in Luminar - albeit the 2018 version and it behaved superbly, I was able to do some great edits.  Other times it just refuses to play. 

What is so sad is that these probably not so complicated bugs as they pertain to us poor windows users will never be addressed now that the infamous, unwanted DAM and the Mac version will demand all resources are thrown at them.

I’d love to see some UTuber do a series featuring Luminar on a windows machine rather than on one of the super secret Mac machines that apparently perform without the merest hitch the present bunch apparently use. What it must be to own a computer like that! Ah well, we can only dream...

Colin Grant

I use one of those wonderful Mac machines Michael and it is nothing magnificent. It is a late 2017 4k iMac with only 8k of ram. It runs Luminar pretty well along with Lr and Ps. There are Luminar bugs but nothing devastating, not for me anyway. Maybe I just do not push it as hard as others - I never end up with loads of layers or filters. I like to keep it simple :-)

What is strange is that different machines PC and Mac seem to behave differently. I have never seen that in software before.

K.G. Wuensch

I am wondering how you can state "I am getting some decent results" - maybe you are used to very little but I was getting horrible results (when it worked). There are some horrible design flaws hidden in Luminar that IMHO will kill the product for anything but toying around (to name a few, automatic noise reduction applied when "objectionable noise is detected", white balance is completely destroyed by the filter strength)... And don't get me started about the quality control and release management, it's horrible - most companies don't survive one such shoddy release for long...

Colin Grant

You are entitled to your view. I so not see the issues you are on about and if I don't see them they are of little concern to me. Maybe I have an advantage is in that I use Luminar as a plugin and do the raw edit in Lr using Luminar as I would Nik. But I am not the only one who has experienced decent results. Clearly the rest of us must work to a lower standard than your good-self! 

K.G. Wuensch

@Colin, by using Luminar as a plugin you avoid the most destructive problems. I liked the program for it’s UI and using it as a plugin is the only way it currently is remotely bearable...

Colin Grant

It was the original concept back in the days of CK though :-) But yes that is my point L3 was not honestly sold in my view and all those internet based reviews did not help, especially if you are a windows user. Phrases like we have "reinvented the dam from the ground up" did not help. But then I never wanted the DAM, L3 was free and I always used L2018 as a Lr plugin. So no change in workflow and no cost. Hard to get too upset, except for the way it was all done of course.

michael durkin

Also Colin is using a Mac.

Writing software for a Mac is much easier than trying to reproduce the same programme on a windows machine, simply because there are so many variants to the Windows operating system which is why these programmes are always launched on the Mac platform first,  it's just so much easier and thus they’re able to build a good reputation relatively quickly.   Not having a Mac I haven't looked to see if/how many problems they're having, perhaps someone could enlighten us?

This should not be used as an excuse; Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom run with no problems on my windows pc, as does DXO and the excellent Topaz programme but then, these are all professional programmes unlike this one aimed at the home user.

Colin Grant

Agreed. I am trying very hard to like DxO but failing miserably. It is far too geeky for me. It really does show how far the UI and general approach has changed when you compare DxO PhotoLab with Lr and Luminar etc. That said PhotoLab is very powerful and capable. 

K.G. Wuensch

@michael durkin, I have both (I only recently switched my main OS for image editing from a combination of Linux/Windows to MacOS - Windows is my work environment for software development) and in the context of Mac software the recent releases from Skylum have been abysmally bad. You really have to expend effort to be that bad on MacOS because the software development environment makes it really hard to make errors.

michael durkin
       @K.G. Wuensch. 

That doesn’t bode well for the user whatever system he/she is using. I honestly had the impression due to the offerings on Utube from such people as Jim Nix (who is excellent) and others, that Luminar was functioning without a hitch on a Mac. I can only conclude there must be a lot of cutting and pasting done on their presentations.

After reading the posts yesterday I went over and looked at the Mac forum here and was shocked and depressed to find that they are experiencing huge problems themselves – and the tone of some of the angry posts over there makes here seem very mild..

The reason I say it doesn’t look good for us windows users is that it’s always been the case that we windows users sit beneath the Mac user’s table and when all is well up there some crumbs eventually fall off the table into our hungry hands.

I honestly think they should pull the plug on this  disaster and go back to making the 2018 edition a good and reliable, rock solid  product.  Rather than finding themselves ridiculed, I think they would be greatly admired for their honesty and integrity, not to mention earning themselves a reputation as a first class outfit to be relied on.

Colin Grant

@michael Skylum were of course Macphun a Mac only developer so Mac did come first. The integrity of Skylum is shot to pieces for there have been so many broken promises, doubtful manoeuvres and related smoke and mirror tactics that it is hard to see how they can ever be trusted. People hang on in the hope of what is conceptually good will reach some form of maturity - most know it is a gamble but hope the god of software and decency might intervene. I sit in that camp but happy to rely on Adobe as my core software.

Please sign in to leave a comment.