Luminar 3.0.1: too easy to loose edits

Comments

42 comments

Phil Hurd

@Collene, much as it pains me to write this, I think Colin's advice is sound. I'm going to lie to down in a dark room now . . . .

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

Awe, Phil :-)

Yves Canty

@Collene: You understood correctly.  Right now, as of version 3.0.2, L3 does not support saving to .lmnr files.  All edit history and all star ratings are stored in its private folder structure named "Luminar Catalog" that is separate from the actual pictures folder.  So there's no way to "not use the catalog" in L3, even if you don't care about the Library feature, that is, the ability to browse and organize pictures in Luminar.

I already have 3.0.2 as I'm from Canada.  I'm eager to get the "worldwide" 3.0.2 release next week, as the one I got had one new major issue regarding the way it scans folders that I immediately reported, and they confirmed they will fix it in time for the worldwide release.  Aside from that 3.0.2 is working better than 3.0.1 for me, so it's a step in the right direction!

Another good news: Luminar support confirmed to me that they plan to fix the problem of loosing edits described in this thread, in version 3.1.0.  They didn't say how they intend to solve this.  No word of supporting saving the edits to .lmnr files.  We'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Collene G

@Yves

Jan 17, when I asked about saving project files in L3, I got this response: "We’ll add the ability to save project files later but at the moment I don’t have a timeline for that.", along with the suggestion that I could preserve the settings used in a project by saving those settings into a Look.

I was underwhelmed by this advice as that is a totally different thing than saving the history of the edits you have done on a photo, but I suppose it is technically a workaround solution.

Thanks for the very detailed description of the issues you have found; it is quite helpful in understanding the capabilities and limitations!

Ben Bloks

Question to Yves (i guess)

When you use the quick-edit function (so not the library) are the edits including the history not saved as well ?

i statetd installing LR3 without catalog to see what bugs I ran into without the library functinponality, but didn’t test this one yet, perhaps later this afternoon.. 

Yves Canty

@Collene: Thanks for the tips!

@Ben: The edit history for quick edited files is also saved in the "Luminar Catalog" folder.  If you move the quick edited files to another path while Luminar is closed, Luminar looses track of it and shows a "warning triangle" over the picture.  The preview is still there and the edits are there too, but they're all greyed out.  You have to move the file back to its original location to be able to continue editing it.  Luminar doesn't show where that original location was, so you better remember!

Ben Bloks

Thanks for the info Yves,

I was afraid of that. 

Did some further testing and ha, it gets even better ?? It's a bit different in my case

1. I work without the library activated (did that with the installation of LR3)

2. I perform a quick edit on a RAW file, nice with history, and shows me the RAW-file extension and some other info

3. I quit LR3 and open it again -> all fine still see the Right RAW info and the edits, including history.

4. Quit LR3 and afterwards move the picture to another folder.

5. Re-open LR3. It still shows the picture with the original RAW-info, however indeed no history, but also no possibility to make any edit at all, also no "Looks" available. In Edit mode it says jpeg, but the info pain shows me the original Exif data (RAW, camera model etc)..No warning triangle mark or what so ever to tell me that the original isn't available or lost.

6. Quit LR3 again and moved the picture back to it's original location. And yes all is back.

Miraculous -;)

Yves Canty

@Ben. What you’re seeing while Luminar lost track of the RAW file is a jpeg preview that Luminar generated when you last edited the file. It’s uneditable. I also got that behaviour. That’s what I meant when I said the edits were greyed out. Weird that you didn’t get the triangle warning though.

Ben Bloks

@Yves,

That makes sense, as under the “edit tab” it says jpeg and not RAW. The info still shows teh RAW info.

In the “pastl when I had the library active, i got indeed the triangle mark.

Having installed luminar for a second time without library and only using quick-edits it apparently doesn't.

Eric

@K.G. Wuensch

From a data migration standpoint, version 3.0.2 seems to have resolved the UUID issue with the "Locate Missing Folder" option. I didn't think that it would be that simple to fix edits being tied to the hardware but it does work indeed. I just performed a data migration from one external drive to another and all edits were retained. Steps I took:

1. Moved the catalog via Preferences from the internal drive ("Macintosh HD") to the external drive ("Data"). At first this didn't seem to do anything when I changed the location but after about a 30sec delay, the app started doing something and refreshed the folder structure. It basically had to copy over the data first but there was no indication that it was doing so.
    2. Closed Luminar. Since it watches the filesystem, it probably would be devastating to be open during this process.
    3. Copied all data (including catalog) from "Data" to a new external drive "Data2".
    4. Renamed "Data" to "DataOld" and then unmounted the drive.
    5. Renamed "Data2" to "Data" to keep the same name in order to make inheriting backup easier. I don't think it would matter for Luminar though if there was a completely different name.
    6. Opened Luminar. It was empty at first but then slowly added the folder structure that was in place before. The thumbnails came in eventually as well but on each thumbnail and on the root folder of the library there was an exclamation mark.
    7. Clicked on the exclamation mark of the root folder and it asked whether I'd want to "Locate Missing Folder". Confirmed and chose the same root folder again on the new drive.
    8. The exclamation marks started to disappear and I was able to open up a file in Edit mode, with all the edits intact.

So I can confirm that if your internal/external HD dies or gets swapped out, you can get all your edits back from your backup and continue on a new drive/machine. That was one of my biggest worries, thankfully this works, at least in 3.0.2.

As for editing files outside of Luminar, like metadata, this does work too, as long as Luminar is closed. Do your metadata edits either before or after image edits while Luminar is closed. The next time you open Luminar, it will read in whatever metadata is in the file, so it shows the updated information.

James Orr

My current project is to digitize slides I made during a year I worked as a social scientist in Turkey. My workflow is to make three bracketed images about 2 EV apart (-1, +1, +2). The raw images are batched processed with Aurora and the output stored in a sub-folder below the main folder. I edited selected images and put the output into another sub-folder under the raw image folder.

After I got started, I discovered that my cataloging system needed to be modified to be more logical and more useful. Because Luminar 3.x still does not have a workable DAM, I continue to use DigiKam. I used DigiKam to rename the folders (not the files). Luminar found and cataloged the images in the renamed folders, apparently as new images, and all the edit data seems to be missing. I cannot find or figure out a way to have the Luminar catalog update to the new image path. Practically, this means I have to re-edit the photos I had already edited. I do have the exported files, just not the edit history.

It seems to me that this is a rigid system, though I expect that it is also characteristic of other programs--Corel AfterShot creates its own database, as does DigiKam, as does ... you name it.

We all need a way to keep our work as we adopt and adapt to different technologies. I know from experience that computer crashes are real, and that backups are needed (I have daily backups to a NAS).

What bothers me now is that Luminar is not good enough to stand alone, and it will not easily tolerate collaboration with others. Now, I'll return to re-editing my lost work. Not exactly a happy camper. I just like the tent that Luminar provides.

Terry Rogers

Hi James. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you with your lost edits.

Please sign in to leave a comment.