Please bring back some kind of Sidecars

Comments

15 comments

Kirk Osborn

Hi!

Luminar stores edits in a separate Luminar Catalog which is connected to a folder with your photos. When you move that folder to a different location, Luminar Catalog can't find a new path and sync your adjustments.

You can move subfolders of one main folder inside Luminar and the adjustments will follow the original photos. But as soon as you move the main folder it disappears from Luminar and all the adjustments will be lost since they are still linked to the original path.

I can definitely see how you would want to be able to move your folders with all the adjustments saved, but for now, Luminar is not designed to work this way. That being said, we’ve heard that request quite a bit so maybe we will do so in the future. I’ll speak with our engineering team about this, and they’ll reach out if they have any other questions.

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

"I can definitely see how you would want to be able to move your folders with all the adjustments saved, but for now, Luminar is not designed to work this way."

And that is the whole problem with your whole development, you are absolutely clueless how a DAM is being used and thus incapable of understanding what minimum functionality is needed for a DAM to be useful... And why? Because you haven't asked anyone who has any experience using a DAM and who needs a DAM and came up with the "we're going to reinvent and you guys are going to love it"... Well to no surprise everyone who needs a DAM is hating the shambolic excuse for a file browser you came up with...

Lost Carrier

I agree that in the current state Luminar does not suite as a replacement for Lightroom - mostly because of the DAM-part. And, yes: maybe marketing promised more than the product can keep.

Maybe I'm lacking some history here, but in defence of Skylum: starting with a minimal version of something and then develop it further based on short (customer-)feedback-cycles is not a bad thing but the essence of agile software development!

However: I'd say Luminar did a good start on the photo development part and I hope if Skylum now puts some stronger focus on the DAM part it can be a really great replacement for Lightroom. And not to forget that Lightroom is far-away from being perfect - maybe Luminar becomes the better Lightroom at some point...

K.G. Wuensch

"Maybe I'm lacking some history here," you are lacking all of the history of this shambles... The essence of agile software development is to make small steps that are essentially bug free. Luminar is all but that. It's so bug ridden that if it were a grain storage you would set fire to it to prevent the plague from spreading...

Oh, and you still are so naive to believe that they listen to their customer base. Their customer base has been pleading with them all of last year to fix critical bugs - all of which are still alive and present in Luminar 3...

Lost Carrier

I just recently evaluated several options to replace Lightroom (Luminar, Darktable, ON1, RawTherapee, DxO-PL, CaptureOne). All hands-on with trail-versions - not trusting on any marketing claims. Indeed Luminar has some bugs and crashes, but "totally bug ridden" is not what I experienced. (...and just for the record: bugs and crashes happen with Lightroom, too)

In fact Luminar came out as one my the favourites from that evaluation. For now it's not ready, yet - O.K., but none of the others are. My trail versions are ending soon. For now I'll have to stick with Lightroom, but I will check back in half a year or so - let's see what Skylum has achieved till then...

K.G. Wuensch

If you know where to look you'll find massive bugs carried over from the previous version and, worse still, conceptual flaws that are nigh on impossible to fix. Although I never expected Luminar to be able to replace Lightroom (which is in another league with regards to functionality, Skylum is at least a decade of development behind) it was so bad and so bug ridden that I had Skylum refund my purchase. They have changed RAW conversion several times over the (shortlived) lifetime of Luminar 2018, they never tackled some of the most annoying bugs and the new version is so bad, I can crash it at will within seconds after it's responsive (which may take a small ice age)...

Vance Zachary

@ K.G. Wuensch So if you have gotten your refund and no longer use the software, I am not sure why you haven't moved on.

While many are having issues with Libraries, many of us are not having all of the problems with Luminar you describe and have used it to enhance some really nice photos (used as Lightroom plugins). Luminar is certainly a work in progress and has quite a way to go in my eyes but many of us like the product and will patiently wait for improvements and additional features, etc.

If you dislike the software, is it not reasonable to stop using the software, get a refund, and move on to use your time and energy on something else?

Tobias Luger

I‘m in on this feature. Definitely a must-have. Any competitor has a solution for this problem but I don‘t see it anywhere near on the roadmap for Luminar.
    I love the editing capabilities, but the lack of a serious export/transfer function still let‘s me think of moving on.
    What‘s the priority in development here?

Denis Kotsee

@Tobias Luger we'll bring back project files in one of the updates - it won't be the next one or the one after it but we're aware of the need, and will provide a solution for it.

Lost Carrier

@Denis Kotsee was there any progress in the past 9 month?

I read Luminar 4 is about to be released. Can we expect to see anything there?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lost Carrier,

You'll be able to use Luminar 4 as a standalone editor with, or without the library, or as a plugin.

Tobias Luger

@Angela Andieux: You are aware that you are not answering the question, are you?

The need is still out there to sync Luminar edits between different computers and sidecar files are one way to do this. Despite the claim made above, Luminar has not delivered on this basic function.

Personally, I've had to move on to ON1, since that tool is delivering on the basics much better. Still checking back here regularly, though, since I see the potential in the editing capabilities of Luminar - unfortunately worth nothing to me, if a full workflow is not supported.

Lost Carrier

Thanks @Angela. Looking forward to try-out Luminar 4 then... ;-)

Lloyd O'Daniel

"If you dislike the software, is it not reasonable to stop using the software, get a refund, and move on to use your time and energy on something else?"

I guess some of us object to being scammed by promises that are not kept and then abandoned more than others. Perhaps some continue to post here to try to prevent others from falling into the same trap.

Helena Carter

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

As to the project files, there's no ETA yet. However, you might contact Support Team so we could mark your request in our system. This might help us to give this request a higher priority.

Please sign in to leave a comment.