Comments

17 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Liam,

Please let us know the following:

1. Did Luminar launch before or are you having issues on the first launch?
    2. If this is not the first time you're launching Luminar, have you successfully completed the initial setup (a series of windows where you create a catalog and add a folder with photos)? Were there any issues during the process?
    3. If you have successfully added a folder with photos to Luminar: what is the location your folder is at, and how large it is (how many files / how much space does it take up on your HDD)?
    4. Were you able to successfully work on photos in Luminar before?
    5. What was the last thing you can remember that you did in Luminar before encountering the issue?

Also, please send us the following information, so that we could track the issue in our system:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into an email to support@skylum.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark Hertel

I am now having the same issue.  I have been using since it came out, crashed occasionally but useable.  Roughly the same after the upgrade.  Now it crashed within seconds of completely opening and when I start scrolling either down the main window or the filmstrip.

My question is this:  Can I move the catalog folder in Pictures, delete and re-install the program, bring the folder into the catalog, and then replace the catalog folder in Pictures with the old one?  Would it then associate the updates with the pictures made previously?

Tony Collins

Just save the catalog in a new location, then open it from there using file>catalog>open (I think)

You can test it by renaming the catalogue folder, so Luminar starts with a default catalogue, then opening the old one.

Mark Hertel

That’s what I was saying/thinking also so confirmation, thanks Tony.   Just hope the re-install works....

Mark Hertel

Update:  Moved the catalog that was crashing from "Pictures" to the desktop.  Opened L3 and chose use default catalog and it created a new one in "Pictures." I then put 3 folders into the catalog for a total of ~100 photos or so across the there folders.   I have yet to get L3 to crash in this new default catalog.  The old catalog has around 36,000 photos.  I guess maybe it's an issues with the amount of photos?  Dunno......  The only outlying data point is the three folders in the new catalog are on my local DH and the old catalog was 95% on an external but include the 3 local ones as well.  

Anastasia Davis

Hi Mark! Indeed there might be an issue with a great number of photos. Also, there might be some particular files in your catalog that cause crashes.
    Please note that we will release an update at the end of January - beginning of February which will target performance issues. 

Tony Collins

I'd just like to point out that:

1 - A DAM/Browser needs to cope with as many photographs as people have (my library has  76000 pictures)

2 - Particular files should not cause a crash, no matter what they are. If Luminar encounters a file that is damaged in some way, it should report that - not just close without warning.

Large libraries - or particular files don't cause crashes. Bugs in the software do.

Anna V

Hi Tony, 

we are sorry for the current inconveniences.

The way Luminar 3 works now will change in the future and we hope for your patience. 

Nigel Turley

I'm afraid that in its current state, Luminar can't be considered a serious contender as an image editor - I take a look at the various issues being reported here and really feel that I can't trust version 3 to safely manage my images or retain edits (due to the instabilities and issues with archiving and restoring the catalog). I'm also seeing random crashes, lock ups and general lack of performance - I know some of these are due to be fixed soon(?) but I think some of the problems will remain for a while. Although I have the option of a refund, I'll keep an eye on the updates and test occasionally but I don't think I'll be using Luminar for any 'serious' work for a while...

George Knochel

Hi Nigel -- I'm with you there.  In December I downloaded Luminar 3, then tried working with over 20K photos on my iMac, but with all these stability problems, I've decided to just stay with my Apple Photos iCloud Photo Library for the near future, and also looking into Capture One Pro to also replace Lightroom Classic which I also use.  

I've been looking at some other alternatives, like ON1, but that particular one doesn't yet have any catalog backup and restore functions, so one could loose albums/collections and edits, not to mention the inability to have multiple catalogs (they keep it a mystery).  

So in reality, most of these "alternatives to Lightroom" need much more maturity before they really are an alternative, in my view.

Nigel Turley

George - Capture One Pro is a significant investment but is a far more 'pro' piece of software. It has its faults, but I get amazing results from it and the catalog functions really well. It's also got true backup and restore functionality...

phil dyer

After the recent upgrade I persevered with Lumina 3. I love 2018 but am getting more and more frustrated with version 3- keeps crashing, I get random jumps in photos and the export function takes an age. PLEASE FIX!!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Phil,

We have an update coming in the next few weeks that will address these issues. If you'd like assistance in the meantime please reach out to support@skylum.com and we'll be happy to help.

Massimo Tava

Hello Angela, The 3.1 crashes on me after the splash/intro screen shows up. No error messages. I erased the catalog and cache folders and reinstalled application and still happening. Is this a bug with 3.1?

-Max

Anastasia Davis

Hi Max! Please try reinstalling the app:

Follow the steps below:

Download AppCleaner from here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner

AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

When removing Luminar 3, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.

Once you're done uninstalling the app, restart your Mac and download a fresh version from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip

If you need help with the installation, check out this page:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25083?locale=en_US

Kathryn Bates

Anastasia, I"m having the same crash problem with L3. If I follow your instructions above, will I have to import my raw images all over again, and redo all the editing I've already done on my images?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kathryn,

No, you won't need to re-import or re-edit. The application files are stored separately from the library files and are not altered when you reinstall.

Please sign in to leave a comment.