Luminar 3 crashes upon launch every time!

Comments

5 comments

Steve Ratts

Very useful post John! Thanks for sharing. Maybe a feature request for recognizing and dealing with corrupted files?

Michael Sonshine

I have had similar issues but since I am processing my own images, not those of some client, I had the option of removing the entire Luminar folder structure to fix the issue.

The Luminar Catalog folder on the Mac in the Pictures folder contains all of the Luminar processing information - the catalog and the history folder - and removing the entire thing forces Luminar to create a new folder. I lost all of the previous work that I had done, but since I usually use Photoshop as an external editor those images, which contained most of my adjustments, still existed and I could continue more or less as before.

I have reported these issues to Skylum but I am sure they are buried under many such reports and I am hoping that the next update will fix some of these issues.

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your workaround! If you run into these kinds of issues again please follow the instructions below so we can investigate.

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please email us at support@skylum.com with a link to this thread and a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. You can also make a screen recording:

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

If the issue occurs when you're working on an image, send us the image file. Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your email.

In case the issue leads to a crash, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In case there are no crashes, collect the log from the console:

1. In Finder, navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    2. Start Console.
    3. Type in Luminar in Console's search bar in the upper right and press Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Start Luminar and try reproducing the issue. Make sure to note all the steps you perform in the app that cause the issue.
    5. Go back to Console, select all entries in it (to do so you can press CMD+A on your keyboard) and press CMD+C on your keyboard to copy them to clipboard.
    6. Create a new text document and paste (CMD+V) the contents of the clipboard there.
    7. Send us the text document you created in Step 6.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Andrew Hewitt

Thanks John, you gave me some inspiration to attempt using Luminar 3 again. I had got to the point it just wouldn't run for more than a few minutes, so I'd given up for now.

I decided to try something, based on your comments, and simply deleted the 'resources' folder. That did the trick, for now, and I've done a bit more editing testing, and been fine so far (only a few NEF Raw files though).

One thing that's puzzled me, is that the 'resources' folder had a few files in it, but since deleting it and relaunching, the folder has reappeared, but no new files have appeared inside it.

In any case, it may be a pointer to the cause of these issues.

Andrew Hewitt

Steve, perhaps it would be even better if the cause of the corrupted files was fixed in the first place - something seems to be causing this, as it is happening far too readily.

Please sign in to leave a comment.