How to keep photos in sync on two Mac with Luminar 3?

Comments

4 comments

Steve Ratts

Hi Roman this is also my workflow and I'm using a MBP on the road with a Hackintosh desktop at home.

Good news! The solution is fairly simple. You just need an external HD that you can migrate from one machine to the other. I use a ruggedized LaCie TB/USB 3 drive. Put both your catalog and images on that drive and you will enable the workflow you've described.

If you've already produced a catalog on both machines then you've got two different catalogs and even if you had all the images on the external dive the two catalogs would naturally have two different understandings of what edits have been done, etc. This is why you need to have both the catalog and the images on the external drive.

One thing to note is that just like with any removable drive it's important to close the applications using it and properly eject the drive before disconnecting it from one machine and attaching it to the other. That's not a Luminar peculiarity - it's just a fact of life when using removable drives to store files. If you just yank the cord out without first closing the applications using the drive and then properly ejecting it you risk that some things may not have been properly written before you unplugged the drive and this could cause the catalog to become corrupted. So just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Alternatively you may be able to accomplish the same thing with cloud storage such as dropbox - but that does present a new difficultly not present when using the external dive. If you go that route, then once again you'll need both the catalog and the images on the shareable cloud service. The new concern is that you must now be careful that you don't accidentally try to use the catalog with more than one machine at a time. Luminar was not designed to accommodate multiple copies of the app simultaneously manipulating the same catalog so you could very easily get a corrupted catalog that way and loose edits. I don't recommend this approach for this very reason - it may be possible, but I think it's inherently dangerous.

Cheers,

Steve

K.G. Wuensch

Just be aware that currently the database is referring the images using the unique hardware identification of the drive they reside on. So once the drive is dead so is your library, the backup you possibly made won't work... And neither will the cloud solution.

Helena Carter

Hi,

Regarding the Library back up, Luminar is constantly backing up its database as you work with it.  But you can back a catalog up manually in case your hard drive has a problem. 

To back up a catalog:

• Go to File > Catalog > Backup.  
    • Luminar opens a dialog box that lets you choose where you want to save your backup file.  
    • To restore a backup file go to File > Catalog > Restore from Backup

You can also backup your photos by exporting them. 

Have a great day!

Steve Ratts

Thanks Helena! That’s good to know.

Please sign in to leave a comment.