Hello Luminar Community,
just a brief introduction...
I've been an amateur photographer since the mid 80ies. In the analogue days, I mostly shot b&w with Pentax Spotmatic, Nikon FE and F2. I did all the processing myself, in my own lab and in a community owned lab. I occasionally tought b&w lab classes at the community center and at the local high-school. I switched to digital photography maybe around 2000, but I've never been more than a casual photographer in the digital world. Today, probably 80% of my photos are taken with my mobile phone (Samsung S7), the rest with a Sony RX100 IV. My favorite focal length has always been 35mm and I almost never use more than 50mm. Also, I'm more a prime lens guy than a zoom lens guy, therefore I'm currently thinking about getting an APS-C camera with a 35mm (or 28mm) prime lens like Fuji X100F, Fuji XF10, Sony A6500 + Sonnar 24/1.8, Ricoh GR II. I mostly "shoot" kids, family and friends and occasionally do some street and landscape photography.
I've been using Luminar (for Mac) since version 3 has been released in December. I've tried Lightroom briefly on my father's computer about a year ago, but somehow it didn't really get into it. Last December, I decided I need to use a dedicated photo processing software, not just gimp. Lightroom was ruled out mainly because of the subscription model. So after some research I decided to give Luminar a try.
In the last 4 weeks I used Luminar almost every day - it's fun to use and I'm very happy with the results.
I've had some technical problems, though:
* Luminar crashed a couple of times. This seems to be fixed with 3.0.1.
* Sometimes Luminar slows down considerably. Switching between images can take a few seconds then and the cpu fan starts blowing like crazy.
* A couple of times the "before" view (eye symbol) stopped working and only showed black. After a restart it worked again
* After using the Tools -> Erase function, all filters are gone from the filters pane. After undoing Erase they show up again
* Sometimes, when selecting Add Filters -> Develop, the filter doesn't show up in the filters pane, it's also no longer on the list. Only after switching to another image and back, the filter shows up.
* A couple of times the application froze and had to be restarted when using the crop tool and clicking "Done" (even after updating to 3.0.1).
* Automatic raw processing for Sony RX100 IV does not seem to work. I installed Adobe DNG Converter, pointed Luminar to the folder with the camera profiles and was even able to select my camera, but it had no discernable effect on the image. I would have expected that some basic processing, based on the camera model, will be done automatically (roughly like the in camera jpeg processing). Or maybe I'm just too stupid... The manual raw processing, however, was easy enough.
* some photos taken with my phone show up heavily distorted in the gallery and side pane. When loading them into the editing window it takes one or two seconds until they are shown in the correct aspect ratio.
I hope that these issues will be fixed soon in a bugfix release.
Apart from that, I enjoy using Luminar a lot, and I was able to considerably improve the quality and aesthetics of all the photos that I've touched so far.
I will post a list of features that I would like to see in Luminar in the "Feature suggestions & requests" section soon.
Please sign in to leave a comment.