Starting Luminar very slow

Comments

9 comments

Dave Cox

Rob my own experience would suggest that this is more a function of the number of photo's in your L3 library. I don't even use NAS storage, but as soon as my library got to be more than about 200 photo's L3 went from a slow (20-30 second launch) to over 2 minutes 30 seconds. By comparison Lightroom with the same photo's cataloged plus a lot more launches in about 20 seconds, and ON1 RAW 2019 only takes 12 seconds to launch, again with way more photo's cataloged. The slow launch speed is for me a significant reason to drop Luminar at least until it is addressed.

Rob van Praat

That could be the case as well. Because the folder on my NAS contains a few thousand photos from one trip. Lightroom was much faster. On the other hand I prefer to edit in Luminar.

I could remove the folder from the catalog. But then I lose my adjustments. Or is there a way to prevent this?

Kert

Luminar 3 is currently unusable as soon as you have more than few hundred photos (i.e., any kind of real life scenario where one might need a digital asset manager).

They will, supposedly, fix it late Janurary or early February. Maybe.

Rob van Praat

That's very disappointing indeed. If you only have a few hundred foto's you don't need a DAM. This is something that could have easily tested. But I'll just have to wait.

Anna Veres

Luminar 3 is our first attempt of implementing Photo Libraries functionality.

It doesn't work perfectly and we're aware of the performance issues.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

We will release an update to resolve these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

For now, I can recommend you to have your images on the Internal HD and try to minimize the number of images in your Catalog. 

Hope for your understanding. 

Rob van Praat

Thanks for your reply Anna.

However, in my view Luminar 3 wasn't promoted as 'a first attempt' with poor performance. The promotional video even had text that is was super fast and fluent. I was pursuaded to buy a copy and so I did. I appreciate that all software has bugs and expect them to be fixed.

This performance issue and the other things I read aren't bugs in my view. The issues are to fundamental that could have been known upfront with minimal testing. Also the capabilities of the DAM module is very limited (of course I understand that it won't be able to compete with Lightroom from the start, but now it's very basis and honestly not enough). This should have been told upfront. I did postpone my photo editing and now I have to postpone even more.

I really feel like I paid for a beta product when I purchased Luminar 2018 with the upgrade to Luminar 3. I would have been fine with a beta version if I was told upfront, as in that case I could have planned better

Fortunately I'm only an amateur photographer, so I'm not dependent on my software for my income and I do have some patience.

Marco Foresti

@ Rob van Praat

"The issues are to fundamental that could have been known upfront with minimal testing" /// I agree, it's the main reason why I can't figure what's in Skylum mind ... and when I read of their "first attempt" ... well, usually I don't ask my custemers to pay for my attempts.

"Also the capabilities of the DAM module is very limited (of course I understand that it won't be able to compete with Lightroom from the start, ..." /// why not? On1 Photo Raw 2019 does it!

"I really feel like I paid for a beta product ..." /// I feel I paid for an alpha-stage product :-(

"Fortunately I'm only an amateur photographer ..." /// Unfortunately I'm not an amateur, but fortunately I do not rely on L3 for running my business. This is reason why I'm patient and keep on waiting for the next release. In the worst case I lost some Euro. I will survive.

Rob van Praat

Well, I can live with a bit less functionality within DAM compared to Lightroom, but it should be limited and being improved (preferably succeed Lightroom). The difference is much too big. The DAM capabilities of Luminar feel like 10% compared to Lightroom. Skylum has a comparison on their own website, comparing Luminar with Lightroom. That's asking people to compare the products.

But there's no reason for me not checking out On1 Photo Raw. I'll download the trail version and see where that brings me. It's a bit unfortunate that I already bought Luminar based on the expectations set by Skylum, but to be honest I also got some extra's (Smugmug access for example) that make it well worth the investment.

Dave Cox

I am in the fortunate position of having LR6 to fall back on as a DAM. I wasn't particularly fussed if Luminar had a full suite of DAM features, but was looking forward to a more streamlined workflow, where I could select images edit them and move on to the next all within Luminar, a bit like what they showed us in there previews, and webinars. But what they have given us is totally dysfunctional. Like you Rob I have gone looking elsewhere. So far I'm impressed with On1, it has many useful to me features like panorama stitching, layers, a very Lightroom like DAM (even picks up my tags/keywords). I still really like Luminar 2018 as an editor, but for the sake of having something that works right now and gives me reasonable workflows, I may end up moving elsewhere. I am only an amateur/hobbyist and would rather spend my hard earned on lenses etc, than yet more software but, even at my level something that actually works is the basic requirement.

@Anna, to say it doesn't work perfectly, is like saying that Titanic had a few buoyancy issues. It barely functions at all, and then is very slow, and buggy. Skylum need to take ownership of this mess, repeatedly people are asked about machine specs, latest patch etc. In my own case, in spite of detailing my machine specs/free space etc. multiple times, I got several messages back asking me to check what I had already told Skylum. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.