Comments

10 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Hitoshi! Could you specify what is the issue with Luminar? What did you do when the issue appeared?

Hitoshi Hirai

ok, i tell you that why.
    because I bought useless beta software.
    thank you very much.

Mark Hertel

Couldn’t ask for more insight regarding the issue than that. Get your money back and move on, this doesn’t help.

Phil Hurd

I think I may have posted on this forum before that a lot of people who are angry about Luminar 3 are actually angry with themselves. If I didn't already own Luminar 2018 (so the '3' upgrade was free), I certainly wouldn't have purchased it without a free trial. So Hitoshi Hirai didn't like Luminar 3, his problem I yhink.

Colin Grant

There is a money back option I believe. Others have benefited from it so he can as Mark says just move on.

Bob Rockefeller

And this is the root decision for many here: just move on to other software, or stay and work around problems while working with Skylum to attempt to repair and improve this software.

Professional photographers, it appears to me, have little choice – they must move on to software that will help them run their businesses.

Others may be able to dabble with Luminar while falling back to other software for the "real" editing and adjustments. That's most likely me, at this point. I'll fall back to ON1 Photo RAW and keep a toe in Luminar's pool watching how it develops and submitting support tickets as the need arises.

I expect Luminar to develop into something that could replace LR, but it will be late this year or early next for many. For some, it may never.

George Knochel

Hi Bob -- I was using ON1 Photo RAW for a month, but have stopped using it, mainly because after reading the ON1 forums, realized that it still doesn't yet have any catalog backup and restore functions.  This can easily result in the loss of albums, collections and edits, and I'm not willing to take that chance.  So, back to Lightroom Classic for now.

Colin Grant

Remember you do not have to catalogue your all folders in ON1, in fact there have been many reports of performance hits when this is the case. When I used ON1, and I don't now as I hate the workflow, I only catalogued folders of new images, removing those folders from the catalogue once I was done with the initial workflow.. Not sure why you think you would lose edits - are they not kept in sidecar files?

Bob Rockefeller

Edits and metadata can be saved in sidecar files (.on1) but those have to be enabled in the ON1 preferences.

Albums and smart albums are saved nowhere but the ON1 database (the location of which is mysterious – I've never found it). Presets are stored within the ON1 Application Support folder in the Library folder.

But there is no simple way, that I am aware of, to backup everything and be able to restore it later. And until/if I can find the database, I can't back that up either.

Phil Hurd

I have deleted my copy of ON1, so I can't check for sure. However if you are using Time Machine to backup, then the database should be OK. I would guess its somewhere like /Users/{user_name}/Library/Application Support/ON1 or /Users/{user_name}/Library/Containers or /Users/{user_name}/Library/Group Containers.

The other way to find out is if you are using App Cleaner & Uninstaller. You can tick on the ON1 app as if to uninstall it (don't obviously!) and it should list all of the associated files. Just don't forget to un-tick afterwards.

Please sign in to leave a comment.