Exif detail - time

Comments

15 comments

Steve Ratts

UTC vs local time possible? Looks like a time zone thing since just the hours are different.

Colin Grant

Maybe Steve, but as all other software interprets as expected this must be a L3 bug yes? It could also be that Luminar is not applying the 24 hour clock as of course 18.28  on the 24 hour clock is equal to 06.28 pm.

Anastasia Davis

Hi! You are right, we are aware of this issue. The time is correct, the app just doesn't indicate whether it is am or pm. 
    We will fix it soon.

Colin Grant

Why should it use am or pm? Why not just use the 24 hour clock like Lr, ON1, Preview, Apple Photos etc? Or is that what the solution will be - use of 24 hour clock to differentiate between am and pm?

Bob Wightman

Nastia,

I believe Steve is correct and it is reporting UTC. My photos are all off by 8 hours (not 12), so it is more than a 12 hour vs 24 hour thing. My time zone just happens to be 8 hours offset from GMT.

Colin Grant

Bob, I am being thick here but so far as the UK is concerned it is out by 12 hours, which supports the am/pm argument. But then I do not know what time zone it is working to. I would imagine it is my computers? No doubt Nastia will have a word with the devs and clarify.

Bob Wightman

Colin, you're not being thick at all. First of all, I apologize as I have posted in the Mac forum, but I'm running the Windows version so there may be completely different behavior between our versions.

For the record, I decided to run an experiment to test my theory about time zone offsets. First I took a shot with my camera set to my local time zone (US Pacific Standard Time), and then took a second shot set to London time. The time reported by Luminar on both shots was off by +8 hours from what should have been the correct time for the respective time zones. So that debunked my theory; the 8 hour difference seems to be a coincidence. I also tried this with JPEGs rather than RAW files and got similar results.

All my other software (Windows 10, Lightroom, ON1, DxO, Nikon Capture) give the correct dates.

Colin Grant

Thanks Bob :-)

Moritz Jung

Hey, are there any updates on this issue? I'm currently evaluating Luminar 3 and recognized that the times indicated are not correct:

- There is a 12 hour time shift, instead of 22:00 its 10:00 (but same day, so -12 hours)

- The "capture time" is not the capture time written into the image meta data. As a result some other time, like "copied to hard drive"/"recent change" is taken as capture time. So all photos have more or less the same time when copied from the same source. The date/time is not comparable if you have multiple sources.

(Comparison with e.g. Adobe Bridge)

As I said, I'm currently evaluating Luminar 3 and sorting is a basic functionality.

4 Months for (not) fixing some time zone bug appears to be quite a long time...

Kate Williams

Hi Moritz,

This is something our team is aware and the fix will become available in one of the future updates. The issue is rather complex and global than it may seem prima facie but our team is working hard to find the best way to overcome it. 

Moritz Jung

Thank you Kate for your reply! I understand that the problem is more complicated then it seems. I hope the issue gets fixed soon.

Colin Grant

Bugs like this are show-stoppers for some folk and make the software unusable. Skylum cannot get the bugs fixed in a timely manner yet continue to sell the software and sell it, as far as I can see, without bringing these known issues to the attention of potential purchasers. Surely there should be a bug list somewhere that can be accessed by all, be they current or potential owners of the software? 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

At this time we don't have a public list of known issues. I do think that would be a good idea and will share the suggestion with our team. Hopefully we can make this happen in the future.

Colin Grant

That is not the only issue re exif. I note that 3.1.1 still; strips all the original exif data from exported jpegs (raf to jpeg). This does not happen in any other software I use. Presumably this is another known bug? Thanks.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Colin,

Have you already contacted us at support@skylum.com regarding this? If no, please, do so and we'll investigate the issue in a more detailed way.

Please sign in to leave a comment.