Possible workaround for OpenGL 3.3 problems

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for sharing this!! Hopefully it will be useful for our other users.

Kenneth Roach

A few other comments:

1. It should be noted that my notebook computer's capabilities (1.5gHz two core Celeron CPU, 4Gb total memory, screen res of 1366x768, no OpenGL 3.3, etc), are far below the minimum hardware requirements specified by Skylum. There is, then, no reason to expect that computer to run Luminar.

2. It should be noted as well that I am running Luminar 2018. Thus far, there is nothing about the Luminar 3 "upgrade" that inspires me to use that version of the program. Maybe some day, but for now, my comments here relate only to Luminar 2018.

3. I had initially told the VMWare virtual PC on my notebook computer to use only 3Gb of the total 4Gb of memory installed, thinking it best to leave at least a bit of memory for non-virtual machine requirements. I have found, however, that increasing the virtual machine's memory allocation to 4Gb allows Luminar to run much better in that virtual machine window on that under-powered notebook computer. In particular, RAW files load and export much more quickly and reliably with 4Gb memory allocated. This is a bit counter-intuitive... Since the notebook computer has only 4Gb of memory in total, allocating 4Gb of memory to the virtual machine means that the VM must do memory swapping (indeed, as I watch things run, it appears to be doing exactly that). Too, I did try to allocate more memory to the VM -- 6Gb, 8Gb, etc. But the VM reported not enough real memory to support those settings. No worries... It seems to me that when the VM is allocated 4Gb of memory, Luminar becomes quite usable there. So much so that I have no need to upgrade the notebook computer in any way. (But note that the notebook computer does have an SSD instead of a hard drive. And remember -- the notebook computer is "just" a travel computer.)

4. I have begun (re)building a second desktop machine. An attempt to install Windows 10 on the ten year old motherboard/E8500 CPU killed the motherboard. The rest of the machine's hardware remains usable, however. My current plans are to replace the motherboard with an ASRock B450M Pro4, install an AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU (six cores, 12 threads running at 3.8-4.2gHz), and 8Gb of DDR4/3200 memory. All of that costs a bit less than $400US.

Now... I still have a quite functional ten year old nVidia 9600GT video card from the dead computer. Since it is the case that PCIe 2.0 video cards can be used in PCIe 3.0 slots, I have no present plans to buy a newer video card for this rebuild. Because, why would I? Just to be able to run Luminar on that machine? But remember -- I also have a six core i5-8600K running at five gHz, with 16Gb memory, M.2 SSD and etc, and so technically, it isn't necessary to run Luminar on the computer I'm rebuilding at all.

These things said, I do plan on trying Luminar inside a VMWare virtual machine (which again, provides OpenGL 3.3 support) on the rebuilt machine, when it's ready (in a month or two). Based on my experiences with my under-powered notebook computer, my best guess is that Luminar will run extremely well on the rebuilt machine with the 6C/12T Ryzen 2600 and 8Gb memory, using that ten year old nVidia OpenGL 2.1 graphics card. I will let you know when I know...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kenneth,

I'm fascinated by what you're doing to make this work!

Prior to Luminar 2018 requiring OpenGL 3.3 I had Virtualbox set up on my Mac running Windows 10 so I could bounce back and forth between the two environments to help with my work with Skylum support (I freelance with Skylum and use my own equipment). After openGL 3.3 became required I was no longer able to run it on my virtualized machine. Your setup has given me some ideas on how to give virtualization of Windows on my Mac to run Luminar another go. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and observations with this project. Please keep us posted on any developments. 

Kenneth Roach

Hi Angela,

I am happy to see that someone may be getting modest benefit (or amusement) from my VM efforts. :) The memory for my machine rebuild arrived in the mail today, so I installed it in the i5-8600k machine to run memtest, along with the ten year old video card. Both the memory and the video card performed flawlessly, and I was able to at least view Luminar on the second monitor. That doesn't prove anything, however, as one of my GPUs provides new OpenGL support even if the old one does not. I don't know if the newest nVidia drivers might support OpenGL 3.3. Wait and see...

It appears that there is no "VMWare Player" for Apple systems. There is a non-free product, however, called "VMWare Fusion." I was surprised to see the price at $79.99, expecting it to be much higher. Since such an app would be used in support of Skylum's interests, and since the price is relatively low, I would suggest you ask Skylum to buy it for you (after you make sure it will meet your needs!).

Alternatively, I do get several hits having to do with using one's physical video card from within a VirtualBox VM. Linux users especially, seem to have modest support, and at least some have it working (to run Windows games within a VM under Linux, it seems). There are a few odd requirements... Not all video cards are supported, and there's a requirement referred to as "IOMMU" that I believe the motherboard must support. Frankly, since Apple machines are provided pre-assembled with probably lowest bidder parts (same as Dell, et al), I doubt you can make it work. But never say never. It would probably be worth it for you to take the time, do some searches, and read what there is to read.

Another VirtualBox approach I've seen involves using TWO video cards, and having one GPU passed through to VirtualBox. I imagine some Apple machines, at least, would support two video cards. Perhaps you already have such? But either way, you would need a second monitor for the second card. An arbitrary sample link: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=69732

Personally, I'm having trouble imagining Skylum refusing to buy you the $79.99 VMWare Fusion product, assuming it does in fact, meets your needs. I haven't checked to make sure it provides OpenGL support, for example. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. https://store.vmware.com/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vmware&ThemeID=2485600&productID=5222152200&src=WWW_US_PP_Fusion_eBIZ_Overview_D_NA_BuyButton&utm_campaign=www-us-productpage-fusion-buybutton&utm_medium=web&utm_source=www

And interesting to hear you say that you freelance for Skylum. That explains quite a bit, to me...

It's not really high on my list of things to do, but someday, perhaps I'll find a version of the Mac OS that I can download and install into either a VMWare or VirtualBox VM. I've seen download links for one or another version of Apple operating systems, but don't know how legit such downloads might be, whether they might come with infections of any kind, nor whether they would install as is, into a VM. Anyway...

Good luck to you!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for all of the followup info! I'm sure if I asked (and assuming VMWare Fusion worked for that purpose) that they would have no problem getting it for me. Just haven't tried it yet. 

As far as my relationship with Skylum goes, I believe I'm the only one on the support team that works remotely in this way. The rest of our team works out of our main office and have access to both Mac and Windows machines natively running Skylum apps.

Again, I appreciate all of the info! I've been sharing your posts with my husband who is my personal tech support so I'm sure we'll be testing some of your ideas in the near future.

Cheers!

Kenneth Roach

I'm a bit jealous... Should Skylum need someone with experience working from the north of Thailand, please let me know. :)

FWIW, I tried installing ON1's 2019 application in the VMWare machine yesterday. Watching task manager, the system was loaded by the installation program at between 50 and 90% for about two and a half hours. After which, the VM rebooted itself for one reason or another. The 2019 version of that app seems to have some extraordinarily high processing requirements.

I ordered the last of the parts needed for my system rebuild today. They should arrive sometime in the coming week.

And, there is a free 30 day trial for the VMWare Fusion application, so you should be able to assure it meets your needs. Of course, Skylum would continue to own any application purchased for you. It would simply reside at your place.

My best to your husband!

Please sign in to leave a comment.