Competition stimulates business - Topaz Studio

Comments

12 comments

Alexander Weimer

It sounds good, thx Herbert. I'll play with too.

Comment actions Permalink
    Herbert Falk

@Alexander Weimer, I like the architecture, the modular concept, a stable main program and optional professional modules. A module (library) does not have the catastrophic effect on the main program as it does with Luminar 3. Modules have to meet certain quality criteria...

Herbert Falk

The following combination works according to the method KISS, Keep it simple, stupid:

paint.net (free), .8bf Filter Plugin. In Effects menu, select .8bf Filter - then existing programs or filter tools (Nik Collection, Topaz, Luminar etc). Now the image is transferred there, can be edited and will be delivered again with the modification. Done :)

Horst Kurtz

Klingt Super, das werde ich Probieren, Probieren, hoffentlich ist es eine gute Alternative zu Lightroom

Guy Meacham

Gave this a go yesterday and it's pretty sweet! If all the options in Luminar actually worked as advertised then then it would be better (for me) but as it stands Topaz is streaks ahead!

That AI Clear filter does a truly amazing job on noisy nighttime city shots. Also nice to see a ton of reviews and how to movies on Youtube using Windows machines. Something you will sadly never see with Luminar.

Herbert Falk

@Guy Meacham

The workflow at Luminar is contra intuitiv for Window users.
    What modern AI programs and tools can already do is amazing. They are a great help and time saver, at least for non-professionals like me. Educational and sample films about the program on YouTube are very helpful.
    Otherwise, I don't think, there is such a thing as a program like "There can be only one" (Highlander) ;)

Herbert Falk

Conclusion so far:
    The handling of Topaz is more familiar for Windows users.
    The images generated by Luminar are better for me.

Kert

Took a quick glance at the Topaz (without installing it yet) and .. at first glance the impression is that its a pretty expensive piece if you want to get anything done. The cost of only two modules in there already puts you in the same ballpark, for example, as ACDSee Ultimate.

Basically a "DLC hell" game model where good chunk of the storyline is behind a DLC paywall and while you might get the "base" game for low cost the full experience will cost a lot more than just outright buying a proper full game would have.

Herbert Falk

@Kert

I like the modular design, which can't be compared to the negative excesses of the game DLC. Modules are bought once according to personal needs. I've seen on Facebook that there are regular discount promotions.

I am currently looking at many photo editing programs.
    What is the output of the program?
    Is photo editing logical and intuitive?
    Is it intuitive for Windows users?
    AI?

I own these programs. With Topaz I only use the basic version:
    Affinity Photo - stable, good to very good results, logical handling, confusing, Win - not intuitive. AI - weak.

Luminar - currently runs faulty, unstable and tough, very good results, photo editing well thought out, intuitive, Win - not intuitive to use. AI - strong, constantly evolving.

ON1 - runs smoothly, good results, photo editing logical, too complex, Win - not intuitive. AI - average, constantly evolving.

Topaz - stable, good results, photo editing thoughtful, simple, fluid, intuitive, Win - intuitive operation. AI - strong, constantly evolving
    Others I ignore now.

Guy Meacham

True my first impression is that it's geared more towards photo art that photo editing. There is a lot of fun stuff in the free version and I have to say initial testing of their AI Clear filter on noisy nighttime shots its fantastic! It is also much less demanding on my Windows 7 machine than either Luminar or ON1.

If Luminar for Windows worked then I probably would not be even looking but based on 2018 I'd say by the end of 2019 the windows version of Luminar will still be buggy & lacking. 

Alexander Weimer

I'm not sure but I think the topaz changes the original raw file and don't use side car files approach like Luminar and ON1.

There is neither DAM nor posibilities to merge bracket exposure images to a HDR nor stitching panoramas. In my opinion offers the ON1 or Luminar 3, if it works :-) ,  considerably more functionality for the money.

Herbert Falk

@Alexander Weimer

I use the "Dublicate" function, button on the right side, and modify only then.

Please sign in to leave a comment.