Some more thoughts on Luminar 3

Comments

3 comments

Louis Watson

I agree with you.

I have just deleted Luminar 3 and will go back to Lightroom CC until Skylum get there act together.

Comment actions Permalink
    Phil Hurd

Good write-up Andy. I tend to agree with most of what you have written. I too was very disappointed with Luminar 3.

Some of the issues don't overly concern me, e.g. I tend not to use Luminar Looks, preferring to just use the filter panel. I agree regarding the Folders both in terms of not having to import them into a proprietary database but also the speed/refresh issue needs sorting out.

I am using Lightroom 6 (desktop) and only as a catalogue, I gave up processing in Lightroom as soon as the previous versions of Luminar were stable. If Luminar deliver the promised upgrades in January/February and fix the performance issues, I think I will be ready to dump Lightroom.

The other positive I would personally mention is using Aurora 2019 and Luminar 3. Although the interoperability between the two products is yet to be fully sorted, there are work-arounds. I am now tending not to use Lightroom to create HDR images, I go straight from Luminar, drop my 3 images onto the Aurora dock icon and then do the HDR merge. The great thing is that I can send the composite HDR back to a Luminar session for further editing without leaving Aurora or saving the file. When I;ve finished in Luminar, I click Apply and Aurora pops back up. The real pain at the moment is then having to Save or Export the finished image.

When using Lightroom as a catalogue with Luminar & Aurora plugins, I had to send the images to Aurora, create the HDR, send it back to Lightroom (as a TIFF) and then send it off to Luminar separately. Now that was a pain.

So as you say, its all heading in the right direction.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough feedback. I will certainly share it with our developers.

Performance and stability improvements will be released shortly (end of January/early February) and several of the other items you mentioned are already on our roadmap. https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Please sign in to leave a comment.