Exporting to JPEG, 300dpi for a online book publisher

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Richard Huggins

You can specify dpi in tiff. So export as a tiff then convert to jpeg outside Luminar. I had seen Skylum was going to fix this "in a future release" like they promise with everything.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bernhard Martin

No, the quality slider does the setting of more or less compression.
    This has nothing to do with the dpi.

Dave Biggs

Thanks all , especially Mike for the list, great info.

Lynne Calvert

A lot of my images are 300 dpi png. Why the extra step because of Luminar's automatic 96 dpi. Will this change? It seems kind of counter-productive to have an image in 300, gets changed to 96, then back to 300. There's got to be some pixel loss in all that. (obviously there was when it changed it to 96).

Anastasia Davis

Lynne Calvert Hi! Please note that you can choose 300 dpi if you export in TIFF.

Lynne Calvert

I understand, but TIFF is not lossless. PNG is. So you're going to lose during conversion. 

Marco Marrocco

>TIFF is not lossless

As a matter of fact, it generally is, unless it is used as a wrapper for a lossy image format - which is normally not the case when working with photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#Features_and_options

Regards,

--

Marco

Lynne Calvert

I respect your opinion and appreciate your input. I make a boatload of t-shirts that require a transparent background and at least 300 dpi. I need to be able to export as a png without having to go back and remove the background every time and/or changing it back to 300 dpi. Whenever you convert, you always lose. Just my opinion and has been my experience. I've got to have a transparent background, which you cannot get otherwise. It's a waste of my time to have to keep removing the backgrounds that this software keeps adding back if I export in any other format. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.