Luminar 3 Won't Open

Comments

12 comments

Michelle Charles

I just bought Luminar 3 AND a new 8gb laptop so I could run it and it won't open after it installs. I've emailed Support a few days ago and not heard. I'm hoping I've not wasted my money. This is really appalling.

Comment actions Permalink
    Diane M Miller

I am also having problems with Luminar 3 opening and staying open.  Typically, I get an opening screen which closes down in 2 seconds.  I have followed support staff's directions precisely, reinstalled 4 or 5 times using AppCleaner and only once, did I get to use the program for about an hour.  I closed it down at the end of the day, but when I tried opening again, the problem reoccurred.  At this point I can't access the program.

I'm running a 2016 MacBook Pro with 16 Gb memory.  I've been in touch with support at least 8 times and usually get a standard "reinstall" direction to correct the problem.  

My frustration is that some of the support staff don't even read my email fully so I sometimes get repetitive, unhelpful (or canned) advice.  I too would like to love this program, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.  Maybe a a year or two when they get their act together...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Raymon and Michelle,

I'm very sorry that you're experiencing issues with Luminar 3 and that a reply from support has been delayed. Our support team has been exceptionally busy since the Luminar 3 launch but we are working hard to reply to everyone. Please know that if you haven't had a response yet that someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please try following the instructions below for a clean reinstall. If the issue persists please let me know.

If your computer meets all system requirements listed here, try reinstalling Luminar. We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link).

In case you're not sure whether your computer meets the system requirements, click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. Check out this article (click this text to open link) about making screenshots on Mac if you need help with that. Attach the screenshot to your reply to this email.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

oscar acevedo

I''m having the same issue. I have followed the above instructions (AppCleaner.....etc). Version 3.01 (2751)

Currently using MacBook Pro 10.14.2 Mojave,  16gb Memory, 2.6ghz i7

Maryna Skylum

Please, try reinstalling your Luminar Catalog:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

After that, you'll be able to create a new catalog (File - Catalog - New). Please load your photos in parts so Luminar won't freeze or choose an empty folder.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will be removed. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Diane,

I'm very sorry for the frustrations you've had with Luminar 3. Have you tried my colleague's suggestion above to reinstall your Luminar catalog? 

Diane M Miller

I've emailed with Skylum support almost a dozen times in the last month.  Following is my latest reply.  

RE: reinstalling the catalog...I haven't been able to use the software enough to do that.  If I ever get in, do I initiate that or does it happen automatically?

On Mar 3, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Skylum Support <support@skylum.com> wrote:

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your reply.

I do apologize for all the inconveniences. I completely understand your frustration.

I would like to clarify a couple of things.

1. According to our system, you have not yet activated Luminar 3. Just the 2018th. Does 2018th version work fine?   I’ve downloaded it several times from links supplied by the support team emails.  What is necessary for activation?

2. Where have you created your Catalog? Internal or External drive?  I never got far enough to do it.  When I do, it will be internal to the laptop.

3. Based on the screenshot, it always asks you to choose between automatic updates and manual ones, I believe. Have you tried disabling automatic updates and launching Luminar again?  The screenshot I took stays visible for 2 seconds…no time to choose anything.

4. You stated that you were able to get Luminar 3 working for a few days. Do you remember making any specific changes to the system or within Luminar?  NO…I just browsed trying to learn how to use it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Diane,

Reinstalling the catalog doesn't happen automatically. The first part of the process doesn't involve actually opening Luminar so hopefully this will help. Please note that the Luminar Catalog folder is separate from the Luminar application and is usually created by default in your Pictures folder. Here are instructions:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

After that, you'll be able to create a new catalog (File - Catalog - New). Please load your photos in parts so Luminar won't freeze or choose an empty folder.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will be removed. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

With regard to activation - after successfully installing Luminar quit the program and then relaunch it. You'll then be prompted to enter your email address and activation code that you received with your purchase.

Let me know how it goes.

Diane M Miller

1.  Luminar was closed.

2.  Catalog was removed

I tried reinstalling 3 more times and from different sources (original link when purchases, links provided by 2 support members).   Each time I closed Luminar and removed the catalog along with other files that AppCleaner found.

Luminar still won't open!  The opening screen appears for 2 seconds, then disappears. 

Any other thoughts?

Diane

Angela Andrieux

Hi Diane,

Unfortunately I do not have any other suggestions for you. It seems your issue requires further investigation from our tech team. Please reply to your most recent email from support (include a link to this thread) and let them know that the issue still isn't resolved so we can escalate it. Thanks in advance!

Mario Kober

Same problem here - it worked at first when I bought it but I did not use it often. Now I tried to open and it crashes before it opens. I cleared it, deleted the catalogue but nothing good happens.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mario,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.