Luminar 3 Update From Support Team 6

Comments

25 comments

Dan Parsons

Why weren't these extremely obvious problems caught before Luminar 3 was released? I genuinely want to know.

Francesco Marcellino

.lmnr files don’t appear in added folders and don’t open in Quick Edit mode.

Happens to projects that were saved without history and resources. We’ll add messages to communicate issues with projects in future updates for Luminar. For now we recommend loading projects with history and resources.

----

I previously saved *all* of Luminar 2018 edited raws with resources, but without history (as I don't need that). With the above you're basically saying that I simply cannot visualize and edit all of those within Luminar 3, and that you haven't even planned anything to address this issue other than "adding messages"?!

All this sucks big time really! Especially considering that because of this issue I cannot really start working with Luminar 3 and need to stick to the 2018 version, which you're not updating anymore, saving project files that cannot be opened by the latest version of your own software.

Really?!

Anders Svensson

@Denis, it's fairly unclear how to interpret "We’ll add messages to communicate issues with projects in future updates for Luminar". I mean, if I've saved a lmnr project then I expect Luminar 3 to be able to open it, so all the cases in which it doesn't, saved with history or not, with original resources or not, are just bugs. Are you saying that these aren't going to be fixed anytime soon?

Neville Dastur

I have just purchased Luminar 3 and it is essentially unusable. A picture opens after minutes and then can't do anything with it....

Dan Parsons

@Denis Kotsee, please answer my question.

Anastasia Davis

@Dan Our tech department is investigating the issue at the moment. We didn't find the core of the issue yet but we are doing our best. I doubt that we will manage to do that for the upcoming update. Nevertheless, it should be fixed in the next ones.

Dan Parsons

@Nastia - Are you sure you answered my question? It’s the first comment on this post.

If you really were intending to answer that question..... You’re saying you don’t expect to have a way to test Luminar for bugs before shipping the next update? Why on earth not?

Dan Parsons

@Dennis, @Nastia - Please legitimately answer my question. Please also tell me why it's been 2 weeks with no new "Update from Support Team" #7?

Francesco Marcellino

@Dan - I never got any useful feedback and posted too here and in another thread. Very frustrating...

Neville Dastur

@nastia - this is just poor. And no response yet to my request for a refund. I did that within 24 hours of purchase. So much for the 30 day money back guarantee 

Denis Kotsee

>Why weren't these extremely obvious problems caught before Luminar 3 was released? I genuinely want to know.

We focused on stability and regression testing first due to the tight schedule. I'm truly sorry that some of the issues have slipped through.

>it's fairly unclear how to interpret "We’ll add messages to communicate issues with projects in future updates for Luminar". I mean, if I've saved a lmnr project then I expect Luminar 3 to be able to open it, so all the cases in which it doesn't, saved with history or not, with original resources or not, are just bugs. Are you saying that these aren't going to be fixed anytime soon?

At the moment when Luminar 3 has an issue with a project file, it doesn't do anything to indicate that there's an issue. We'll change this behavior to provide meaningful hints and explanations. We'll also fix the issues with loading projects that we're aware of. In order to work some of them out we'll need to change a considerable amount of things about project files, so this may take some time.

>Please also tell me why it's been 2 weeks with no new "Update from Support Team" #7?

We haven't discovered any new issues so far. There's a megathread of everything we've found here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360037201971-Luminar-3-Update-from-Support-UPDATED-1-8-19

Dan Parsons

> We focused on stability and regression testing first due to the tight schedule. I'm truly sorry that some of the issues have slipped through.

Dennis, please explain. Many people weren't even able to get through the Luminar 3 Installer when it first shipped. Many people today still can't even launch the app. If what you say is true, that Skylum focused on stability and regression testing, how did Luminar 3 ship with an installer and app that fails to launch for so many people?

Kirk Osborn

Hi Dan,

This is the first time Skylum tries to implement Libraries feature and we're truly sorry that there were troubles at the release. We're doing our best to improve our apps and we use our experience to enhance the performance and come up with innovative solutions.

Bob Rockefeller

Is it about time for v3.0.2?

Leila Evans

Hi Bob - v.3.0.2 will be released at the beginning of February. Stay tuned!

Tim Gillespie

It slipped! The ship date slipped.

It looks like things are unraveling!

All I see here is negative press. These guys have reinvented known ways to fail.

Why would they sell a product to a new and unsuspecting user in this current shape. No kidding the software is totally unusable. So why cheat a person out of money. They know damn well this is not usable code. Yet they continue to take money from people expecting real software.

This is going from bad to who the hell are these people and why am I supporting them.

Subias Gilles

I'd read one of the Skylum staff replies: end-january/begening february all bugs and disapointments will be fixed, and if not, a new update later in 2019 ! How may we trust in them ???

K.G. Wuensch

You can only trust them to fail - there they still have a perfect track record in...

Daniel Scholz

@Tim, we didn't change the date. I am sorry that you have to wait a little more, we're doing our best to test the next update as much as we can. 

You can also apply for a refund if you're not happy with our product, please email support@skylum.com to get more details. 

Hillman Lo

Luminar 2018 freezed my Macbook Pro. I brought it to Apple, and they said the newest Mac OS doesn't support Luminar. I informed Skylum and I was told it will be fixed in Luminar 3. Now I have Luminar 3 and it doesn't support my Nikon Z6 camera and some of the photo that I have edited are blacked out. I was told by Skylum AI Sky Enhancer has bug and everything will be fixed in next update. Why can't you test and make sure it's work before pushing it out? Today is last day of January and I wonder when will the update be? Will there be other bugs that need to be fixed by another update? My patience is running out!

Graeme Forbes

Well, I'm finally done with it - constant crashing, awful rendering speed in program, adjustments are unresponsive (move slider and it takes about 15-20 seconds to catch up), browsing in the library last about 4 pictures, is slow and then obviously closes for no obvious reason.

Same issues on both Mac and Windows.

This is at best software in a rudimentary Beta stage and distributing it to paying customers is very poor.

I'm literally having to edit my photo's in Apple Photo because Luminar is so bad it's unworkable.

Appalling!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Graeme!
    I am sorry for the inconveniences.
    We are aware of some performance issues. We will release an update within 10 days. The app will get faster and more stable.

Best regards,

Kim Austin

Daniel Scholz -- actually, Skylum DID change the date, a few times. The most recent promised update was originally going to be end of Jan.  Then all of a sudden, Skylum changed that to late January/Early February.  Then we hear that it will be up to 10 days into February. No explanations, just the generic comment. Professional? NO.  Frustrated users? YES.

Dan Parsons

> Professional? NO.

I couldn't agree more, Kim. Every step of the way with Luminar, Skylum has lacked professionalism. The only thing that seems professional is their marketing. Their engineering consistently, almost 100% of the time, misses release dates, and under-delivers in terms of shipping stable and performant software, and making good on their promises. You can really tell that Skylum's entire engineering strategy relies on the fact that their users will not complain enough to cause a problem for the company. They're banking on it, in fact.

So long as there aren't en masse requests for refunds, so long as their paid Youtube shills keep luring unsuspecting users, so long as we continue to accept their deliberate end-user abuse (what else do you call ignoring data destruction bugs for multiple releases? ruining people's work is unacceptable and unforgivable), then they will continue to behave exactly the way they've always behaved.

Why do they do this? Because it's easier for them to make short-term profits that way, and, quite obviously, by how often they fail to honor their own promises - short-term everything (profit, engineering, planning) is all they care about.

Colin Grant

It is hard tioargue with that summary, Dan - regrettably.

Please sign in to leave a comment.