My first look (and FRQs) Luminar 3 PC

Comments

3 comments

Tom Pickering

There's no way this program is for Pro users.  Anyone that takes more than a few dozen snapshots a month will find the DAM portion of Luminar 3 a complete waste of space and resources.  You cannot import from other programs like Lightroom, Aperture, etc.  You cannot keyword or use any other Meta data.  You cannot search in any real working manner.  This is garbage and there's no real timeline for the DAM to be completed.

The editing portion is coming along, but still lags behind the Mac version.  Just view virtually any video produced on a Mac and try to reproduce what they do on a Windows machine - there's always something crucial missing.  I watched a live webinar last year on Luminar 2018, which was using a Mac, and the presenter had no idea that the WIndows version couldn't do those things.  They actually tried and were shocked at the lack of parity.  Why no progress on that?  They're working on the DAM which was promised back at the end of 2017.

Vance Zachary

I use Luminar as a Lightroom plugin and it not true that you can't import photos from programs like Lightroom to Luminar 3. I do it all the time now that Luminar 3 has come out. And I'm using the Windows version.

It is true that we still don't have complete parity with the mac in either Edit or Library but they have come a bit closer and Luminar 3 has added some new Windows features not present in 2018.

Pros all work differently and have different needs. But serious photographers previsualize the results before they take an image and want software to allow you to take the image from RAW to final previsualized product quickly and efficiently and that allows enough flexibility and options to allow creativity.  

I also agree they need Library features like tags, metadata, ability to rename files, print module, ability to make virtual copies, etc. in their Library module to make it a serious tool for more advanced users. Most of these features should be available within the next 12 months.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

You can change the background color. Go to View > Background.

We are working to solve issues users have been having with NAS and external drives. I'm expecting to see this improved in the late January/early February update.

Masks can be copied between filters and layers.

Keyword support and Lightroom migration are coming. See the roadmap here: 

Please sign in to leave a comment.