Warning triangle with exclamation point in thumbnail corners?

Comments

23 comments

Steve Ratts

Sounds like in the migration the folders that were in the catalog were missed. That symbol indicates that Luminar isn’t finding the folders referenced in the catalog. This happens to me when I disconnect the external drive my folders are on. Reconnecting the drive restores them with all edits and ratings.

Have you verified that the image folders are present with the images in them in the same locations that Luminar is expecting to find them?

Comment actions Permalink
    Bob Rockefeller

"Have you verified that the image folders are present with the images in them in the same locations that Luminar is expecting to find them?"

The folders and images are there. ON1 Photo RAW and Capture One can both find them and had no trouble in the migration.

I can't tell where Luminar expects to find them. I don't know if a relative or absolute path is used in the catalog or perhaps some other system. And I don't see a way to point Luminar to the root folder to let it reindex the images.

K.G. Wuensch

You have run into the problem that makes the Luminar library broken by design. It references the drives your images reside on by the unique hardware ID of that drive, so a move to a new harddrive or a restore to new hardware is not feasible for the average user. You would need to patch your database to move to the new hard drive but that's not something for someone without some knowledge in database maintenance...

Bob Rockefeller

"It references the drives your images reside on by the unique hardware ID of that drive"

OMG! I don't know how you know that, but if that's the case, then that is a serious design flaw.

K.G. Wuensch

I looked inside the database - it's a normal (very fragile if the program isn't well guarded against crashes or hard terminating by the user) SQLite...

Bob Rockefeller

"I looked inside the database"

Nice! You can get a good look behind the scenes. It sounds as if it's ugly back there. :(

K.G. Wuensch

Primitive and not well suited to later expansion would be better descriptions - and broken by design because "they want to track your images in the folders added in real time"...

Steve Ratts

I think this may be a relatively easy thing to fix and should certainly be on their list of priority things. All they would need to do is implement a Find Folder function that allows the user to navigate to the new (or restored from backup on new drive) location and then updates the database to point there. It’s not magic. It’s not even rocket science. It would be almost trivial to implement and since they’re aware of the problem they should get it fixed.

K.G. Wuensch

But then they would commit themselves to a "false advertising" problem, because they have clearly stated and sold under the premise that - contrary to the competition - they wouldn't need such a thing... So they painted themselves in a corner and now they are stuck there...

Bob Rockefeller

For right now, I suppose I'll have to recreate the library if I want to use Luminar before this problem is fixed, if it will ever be fixed. And doing some destroys the image adjustments I've already done in getting used to the software. :(

K.G. Wuensch

Just remember, if this isn't going to be fixed then whenever you have to switch computers or drives again - you'll lose all your ratings, edits, everything again!

Alan Curry

I just happened to look at this last night. K.G. Wuensch is right, the volumes table contains the device ID instead of using the mount point. It will be painful moving files until Skylum provides a facility to perform the function.

K.G. Wuensch

@Alan, thanks for confirming my analysis... One more thing, if Skylum wants to fix this then they need to start providing the same functionality Lightroom provides although they said would never be needed - because you were supposed to never lose connection with your files... Well in real life you lose your edits, your ratings, your flags much too easily because these things don't really stick to your files, there are no sidecar files to safeguard your edits and organization against data losses due to database corruptions, there are no repair tools that can repair a defective database (yet, which is sorely needed because plenty of people ran into "illegal" EXIF which in consequence make the database invalid - which equates to a complete loss of the library).

Bob Rockefeller

"Just remember, if this isn't going to be fixed then whenever you have to switch computers or drives again - you'll lose all your ratings, edits, everything again!"

Too true.

I have a support ticket in to Skylum. Depending on its results, it may well be the end of the road with Luminar 3, for me.

ON1 Photo RAW has it quirks, as does most software, but I think it would be very workable.

Bob Rockefeller

The Skylum response to my support ticket is to recreate the Catalog, thus losing my image adjustments! :(

I've asked them if this is the way Luminar 3 works and I would have to create a new Catalog with each computer or hard drive replacement.

Alan Curry

A potential work around:

https://youtu.be/2IDeqEEpA9o

Bob Rockefeller

That does look like a way to "fix" the problem. It is not for the faint of heart or those unfamiliar with the workings of a relational database. But it might work, and I might even give it a try. I'll post a report if I do.

Bob Rockefeller

After a fairly long exchange with Skylum's technical support folks, Skylum is aware of the 'lost images' problem and plans a fix. It should be in the next update (3.0.2), according to the revised roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Bob Rockefeller

"I'll post a report if I do."

I tried the database hack on a backup catalog and ended up damaging the database in such a way that Luminar crashed immediately. There were some duplicate image path entries, for some reason, and they did not take well to modification.

My take is that most folks should not even try. If you are an SQLite "expert," you may have more success than I.

I'm going to wait for the 3.0.2 "fix" to see how fixed it is and whether to invest more time in Luminar.

Steve Ratts

I wonder if there isn't another easier/safer solution that would involve using Luminar's Backup/Restore from Backup capability under the Catalog menu?

I see in the Roadmap that they're going to make backups an automated thing in 3.0.2 which is due out fairly soon.

• Automatic database backups

A new backup is now created every time Luminar launches

Bob Rockefeller

"I wonder if there isn't another easier/safer solution that would involve using Luminar's Backup/Restore from Backup capability under the Catalog menu?"

It appears that the problem is rooted deeply in the database. The catalog uses the drive identifier which changes when a folder is moved from one drive to another, either on purpose, or by necessity. So the backup has the same problem.

They claim to be fining the problem in 3.0.2:

• Locate missing folder

Added ability to locate a missing folder

Alan Curry

@Bob Rockefeller

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It sounds like your in a different situation than me.

Alan

Tom Maggio

Hi Everyone,

Quick Update!

I was wrong....my fix didn't work. I thought if I pointed to the folder from my iCloud Drive to Luminar 3 on both machines...it would fix things. But it didn't. Fixed on one Mac and not on the other as it gets the warning triangle. 

This would be awesome to run several copies of Luminar and reference the same catalog so the edits appear the same on all machines.

So I wonder if there were a NAS drive on my network if the warning triangle would go away?

Let me know if I'm missing anything here...

Previous summary of my issue:

A MacBook Pro Late 2013 with Luminar 3 pointing to the database installed on my iCloud drive in a dedicated folder for Luminar.

A Mac mini Late 2012 with Luminar 3 pointing to the same iCloud folder as above.

I think the Mac mini displays the images without the warning triangle. I'll need to check again tonight. But the MacBook Pro does display the images with the warning triangle.

If there is a problem with the Device ID as mentioned above, I can see how this would be a problem.

Just my two cents. Anyone feel free to comment.

It does look like my folders are in the right place from the GUI side of things. I'll look at preferences to make sure I'm looking at the correct database.

Tom

Please sign in to leave a comment.