(DAM) Feature wish list

Comments

7 comments

Steve Ratts

I'd add the ability to move files/folders in the library. It's sort of there, but I just tried it and it was remarkably slow and ended up loosing all my edits for the files in the folder I'd moved. I think it's great that Luminar monitors the actual file system folders, but what happens when later on you decide you need to change where something is? Moving it using file system tools will accomplish the relocation of the files, but none of the edits are retained. Moving it within Luminar is very clunky and also results in loosing edits.

It would be great if Luminar could recognize the files even when they're moved so that edits aren't lost. If that's not feasible, then there should be a way within Luminar to effect the move that does retain edits.

Carsten Dräger

@Steve If that is indeed the current behavior it definitely requires fixing. I haven’t tried this yet, but of course moved files have to be tracked properly (including the edits, upcoming virtual copies etc.. maybe with file hashsums or some other method). No matter if moved within or from outside of Luminar.

Dave Biggs

Steve,Carsten, see my earlier post “moving referenced files”

exactly what I was saying really, but got an answer to move files but not the edits.

Steve Ratts

Ahh, I think I see where I went wrong. I tried to move the folder in Luminar by clicking ad dragging it to another folder that was on the external drive. Apparently what I should have done was add the destination folder then click and drag the files.

I'll give that a try, but to be honest I wish it could work by dragging the folder instead of the files. Oh well, live and learn!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll certainly share your suggestions with our developers. We do have an update coming at the end of January/early February that will improve performance.

Carsten Dräger

Thank you very much Angela, that’s good to know. Performance is indeed my #1 issue currently (e.g. a simple export of 17 pictures taking way over 10 minutes on my 2011 iMac, whereas for Aperture it took way under 1 minute). I’m glad to hear it’s addressed quickly.

Seamus Warren

Yes, me too. 👍

I just realised I am unable to filter out tiff files as I seek some jpegs for processing. 

I am also hoping an option for creation of file naming templates upon import or renaming at a later date.

Please sign in to leave a comment.