DAM related requests

Comments

8 comments

Steve Ratts

Ann,

You're in luck! That is on the roadmap, and furthermore you're not alone - lots of people are wanting that, so maybe it will be prioritized?

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

• IPTC edit & sync (Luminar Libraries)

You'll be able to edit core IPTC info. Plus create custom presets related to IPTC data and sync these presets across multiple images.

• Search (Luminar Libraries)

You'll be able to quickly find the image you need, using keywords, EXIF information, and file names.

Ann Wheatley

Thanks Steve.  I see that its on the roadmap for January!  That's great. 

K.G. Wuensch

Don‘t get your hopes up, at the moment they need to sort out the highly instable and unusable mess - that leaves no time to alter the code base to accomodate their (already very overambitious) roadmap. If they do try to keep to the roadmap then I would expect the performance and crash issues to persist or get even worse, something has to give and their track record on that is abysmal - maybe if they meant January 2020...

Rick Garside

Hello - I posted the paragraph below in another thread about whether 'Noiseless' and 'SnapHeal' were incorporated into Luminar 3 (I didn't actually find an answer to that - but it's definitely a feature request), but then I saw this thread and thought it was more appropriate to be posted here, so please forgive the repeat of this:  (It's all because I like what you are doing, and hoping you'll be able to become better.)

I will weigh in on this in the hopes that Skylum monitors these discussions and listens to these comments.  I, too, was a long time user of both Aperture and iPhoto - both fantastic products with the database organization, facial recognition and ways to create books and calendars.  I loved all those things about it.  The facial recognition was particularly awesome.  I made calendars every year for my families and more or less kept my personal life on iPhoto and professional life in Aperture.  Just when I was about to move both libraries together into Aperture, Apple made their announcement.  

The I stopped everything.  I stopped making books and calendars, I stopped importing my stuff into either program since neither were going to be supported, and I started looking for alternatives.  This was because, at this point - I also stopped trusting Apple.  I did at least give 'Photos' a try. Twice.  And hated it both times. I was told by Apple techs that once I got used to it, I would love it.  WRONG.  I loved what they already had.  And that didn't take any 'getting used to - it just worked, and worked great.  I did not need software that mimicked how my phone could handle software.  I liked the desktop features.

So I purchased Luminar 3 hoping it could become my go-to app for these things.  I realize Skylum started small and has been building up over time, and I agree with the comments above.  However, if Skylum is listening, if you do create a robust database that easily handles files and organizing them, using key words and easy metadata, and - for me at least, had a way for me to print books and high quality calendars like Apple did, then I think you could absolutely dominate this entire market that Apple has so carelessly tossed away.

Obviously you are not there yet.  But if you could commit to trying to do that for us - your customers, I'd be glad to pay all over again for those features.  And you would be able to keep making money on sales of books, cards, calendars, etc. on a regular basis.  It could be your way of gaining an ongoing revenue stream without going to the hated 'subscription model'.  You may have considered this already, but you have not stated your full intentions.  

It would seem that the technology to do all this lies well within your grasp, and - if you could 'out-Apple' Apple, by taking things others have already done, but packaging them in a way that is easily accessible and meets the needs and desires of your customers, I think your business would absolutely explode.  You have no idea how many of us out here are looking for this specific thing and have been very unhappy with all the alternatives.  I looked at that 'Photo Supreme' that the person above suggested, and it looks good, but all it seems to do is organize.  (Which is a big part of what we want - don't get me wrong.)  If I could have all that AND the editing AND facial recognition AND book/calendar options in one package, I would be in photo heaven.  Maybe Apple will sell you Aperture and you can improve it from there.  Why not give it a go?  

Thanks for starting to provide a real option.

Ann Wheatley

Like Rick I too have gone to Luminar as a successor to Aperture. I like the direction the DAM has taken, managing the image library on the folder system of my Mac rather than in a “container” as Aperture did.

I too make gifts with my photos, and have been using Moonpig for some time now. An intriguing idea Rick!

K.G. Wuensch

You do know that Aperture could manage the photos in exact the same way - as referenced images. It just worked, unlike Luminar 3 which is a blunder that never should have been released and in it‘s current state is more an annoyance than anything usable and still has a long long way to go...

Ann Wheatley

Yes, there's a long way to go. But I want Luminar to succeed.  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please know that all of your suggestions are being gathered and shared with our developers.

@Rick Garside - With regard to your question about Noiseless and Snapheal, their underlying technology has been integrated into Luminar. I know that many users are looking in Luminar for similar settings and presets that are available in both of those apps. I will be sure to share with our developers that incorporating those familiar options would be very useful to many users.

Please sign in to leave a comment.