RAW Format Issue (.raf)

Comments

18 comments

Mark Hertel

Is that the “scene from a scary movie” “look”?  

Comment actions Permalink
    Chris Maltese

No.  No scenes, filters, etc.  The JPG of that image is fine.

Roger Salvesen

Hi Chris. This (ill say bug) happens to me as well (X-E2 .RAF) However it usually last for a short time then recreates the proper preview. It usually happens when Luminar is writing changes to the database file and I'm also performing edits. I don't have a cure all but try deactivating filters or reset and re-edit the RAW develop settings and it should correct itself. I have the most recent iMac with 16 gb and im have what appears to be less problems than most. I think the next few updates will be fixes and optimizations and they will be most welcome here I think!

If you are interested in better Fuji conversion for Luminar I am using Iridient X Transformer with Luminar with great results. For certain files where the corrections or detail is just not quite at optimal level I use this and the DNG's it outputs are as editable as the RAF. Very happy with the results.

...ps The green issue happens more with converted LMNR files than just .RAF

Roger

Chris Maltese

Good morning Roger - 

Thank you for your insightful explanation.  I too, have the latest iMac with 16gb and the program runs like a charm.  Only problem is what I've explained, above.  Tried your suggestions with no success.  Another observation is that sometimes I'll see the option for additional DNGs in the RAW module and sometimes I don't.  Odd.  Would be nice to perform my workflow in the one application as it seems to do a fine job.

I will have a look at the Iridient X Transformer.

Thanks again.

-- Chris

Roger Salvesen

Yes Good Morning!

1.Another thing to try would be to re-load the DCP Profile for the camera or toggle it between two. For Example I downloaded Adobe ACR which has all of the Adobe DCP profiles included. Using the "load DCP" profile function from the Raw Develop filer you can load your Camera's profile. Im using the Adobe Fuji X-E2 profile which pretty much looks like the Luminar default but it may force the Raw to be loaded again. If you are using A DNG file you can also extract any embedded DCP from the DNG.

2.Second attempt would be to remember the Raw develop settings then "reset" Raw Develop and reinstate the settings manually. If this does not help I would disable each filter one by one give 2 seconds for the preview to re- load if your images are on an external drive.

Just FYI I have already sent Support my feedback to be able to reload any raw into a given preset in case you wish to keep the settings but use a better conversion such as X trasformer or replace a sky layer or other...

Cheers

Roger

Denis Kotsee

Depending on the settings a photo was taken with, Luminar may or may not have issues opening the file. Usually the photos open normally when shot in uncompressed mode but there may be issues when opening a compressed RAF file. We're working on improving this in the future updates for Luminar.

Chris Maltese

Hello Roger - 

Thank you for the additional guidance.  I took your advice and installed ACR onto my Mac.  The "load DCP" option appears only sometimes in Luminar.  When it does work, I search and cannot find the folder containing the profiles. Do you know where they are located?

@Denis - Thanks for the work to improve this condition.

Regards,

--Chris

Roger Salvesen

Hi Chris I'm not at home so I'm just searching. They should be here

User Library>Application Support>Adobe>CameraRaw>CameraProfiles

The Load DCP should appear for all "supported files" so what I'm wondering is if some of the files are either somehow not RAW or perhaps they are damaged or corrupted files? Or perhaps Luminar does not properly support the original X-100 files?

Feel free to send me you .RAF and I Can test on my system. Im also happy to send you my Fuji DCP and LUT files if you can not find them. However these are mostly Xt-1 DCP and LUT. They both work but are not exact.

Roger

Chris Maltese

Many thanks, Roger.  I found the profiles in the exact location that you suggested.  Problem being, that I cannot see the "Load DCP" function.  This is happening with .raf and sometimes with .dng's created from the .raf file.  Something is definitely wonky.  I'll shoot a few more RAW with different cameras and try again.

https://mega.nz/#!Y2xz0I6A!q2TLuCIbqf7_2-UskoWK4ivG5pQEjH87d-9ROv8aE0Y  and https://mega.nz/#!Ez5hmA5S!AVqONmpKLXXYlcPc4FoBOvB2Kz9B6jx1PhL6unOrTN8  are copies of the files.  When I open them, they appear like the image, above.

Have fun!

Roger Salvesen

Hi Chris. Both images load for Me no problem. However it may be worth mentioning that for a brief flash the image before it is rendered fully is blueish green for a moment than normal. My X-E2 files do this sometimes but differently. Also when I tried the X-T2 DCP film emulation on your file being Bayer it did not look correct however the LUT's look great! So below is where you can find the DCP files where it says "luminar Default. The menu drops down with the import DCP feature as well. Please note while similar to Raw Develop Tone is not the same. Im sure you know this but have to mention just in case. I have made many mistakes only to learn weeks later on some forum. Ha ha!
    One other thing that crossed my mind. It could be a corrupt instal of Luminar or perhaps a bad preferences file. So if you click on the Mac Desktop and hold option while selecting the "go" menu from the Menu bar you can go to the "library"folder in your Home folder. In Library/Preferences/Look for the file named com.macphun.luminar3 and you may delete this. This has many of the preferences but should not delete your licence or library etc..Not a guarantee but worth a shot.

Cheers

Roger

Roger Salvesen

In case you are interested I output your file with Iridient X Transformer. I can see very fine detail improvement zoomed in and better lens corrections eg: CA. Its fairly subtle but definitely very good

https://app.box.com/s/jay7x1t28n7ttbv1ddhjtgnnikmvuu6d 

Cheers

Roger

Chris Maltese

Hi Roger - 

Glad that you were able to open the files without consequence.  I took your advice and deleted com.macphun.luminar3 from the Library folder.  The application worked as advertised, even as far as flashing blue before opening the .raf file which then looked proper.  I was able to apply Profiles in the RAW Develop module and they took.  I tried other files and all worked fine.  Satisfied that the issue was cleared, I closed Luminar and reopened.  The original condition returned; solid, unchanging blueish-green "masking" and loss of the Profile pulldown.

I think that we have hit the wall on this one and I can only hope that Luminar staff is looking at this thread to shed additional insight. 

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to offer some solutions!

Best regards,

--Chris

Roger Salvesen

Hi Chris. Im glad to have at least shed some light on this. I agree Skylum support staff should respond to this thread. However May I suggest you also send the link to this thread plus your machine specs etc to their support portal it might be good for the record as well as chance of reply. They do sometimes take a bit long but they will have the engineering team look into it.

Im also assuming it is not all Files but rather just a few files? Im also assuming you are upgraded to Mojave?

Good luck and ill be curious to see what is in fact happening it is odd behaviour for sure. 

Cheers

Roger

Chris Maltese

Thanks Roger.  I'll send that information along.

--Chris

Tony Perez-Carpenter

Hello!  I am experiencing the same thing.  I often use the batch process function on Luminar and when I use it on Fujifilm X100 Raw files the processing is normal.  However when I pull the raw files into the library and open individuals to edit, the color distorts with the same blue-green cast as above.

I'll follow the thread to see if any news comes up.

Anna V

We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

The issue will be fixed in the upcoming update. 

It will be released within a month. 

Chris Maltese

@ Tony - One thought... When you bring in the Fuji RAWs, are jpgs being imported into the library, as well?  I was reading on a popular Fuji forum where someone was shooting jpg + RAW.  When they imported both file types they experienced the problem. Then they tried only importing the RAW files and all worked fine.

Ive not had time to test this scenario, but it may be worth a shot until Skylum patches the software.

—Chris

Joseph Mainhall

I had the same thing happen to a dng file that was exported from a CR2 file on another program that I prefer to use for RAW files.  I have used Luminar on exported TIFF files with no issue but the DNG files make me nauseous green.  

Please sign in to leave a comment.