Forcing Luminar 3 to use integrated vs discrete GPU makes it WAY faster???

Comments

16 comments

Paul Campbell

The Aero 15 is a thin laptop with gaming level specs. The integrated Intel graphics is Intel Graphics 630. The discrete GPU is an Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. It's not the neutered version like in a lot of laptops.

If I let Luminar 3 use the discrete GPU, it is super slow and laggy. If I force it to only use the integrated Intel GPU, it's significantly faster. Like night and day faster. It goes from almost too frustrating to use, to on par with everything else (e.g. Lightroom, etc).

I was just wondering if anyone else that is complaining of slowness had tested disabling the discrete GPU and forced it to only use the integrated graphics.

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Campbell

Thanks for the link. I did set everything manually both ways during my testing. I'll try to set up and do some timings to compare integrated vs discrete a little more accurately.

Marco Foresti

Paul, may i ask you how have you been able to configure L3?

I found no option for this - I mean no setting at all in L3.

Paul Campbell

Marco,

The configuration of what graphics card to use is at the operating system level. There are two ways: 1) in Windows 10 per the instructions in the link above 2) in the graphics card control software (Nvidia control panel...I do not know about AMD cards).

It's possible that the difference in IGP and GPU was not as dramatic as I thought but I need to test more. I'll test several actions and time them with the various permutations.

Marco Foresti

Thank you Paul.

I made a test switching at "hardware level" ... I unplugged my monitor from NVIDIA and plugged it onto the embedded GPU port :-) - it works since I left the multimonitor option of the Intel HD on.

I found no differences at all. Monitoring the NVIDIA parameters by using the GPU-Z sensor monitor, it looks like L3 doesn't use the GPU at all, except when resizing/rotating/scrolling - but this is Windows and happens in any app.

If can help, the pc has an Intel HD4400 and an NVIDIA GT 1030 with latest driver for everything.

Regards,

Marco

Marco Foresti

Hi Mike,

I didn't change any opengl setting ...

Kert

If the L3 does everything on CPU instead of making use of the GPU for rendering stuff that would explain, perhaps, my own rather horrible experience with the DAM module in L3.

Because in my machine, when I'm using the discrete GPU the iGPU gets disabled. One of the quirks of having a g-sync laptop. Thing is - when I open my library of images (~100 k images) the CPU hits 100% and just sits there for hours while being exceptionally slow at rendering anything. If it really goes straight for the CPU then this would mean that it would have to use some kind of software based fallback rendering which would be horribly in-efficient when done on CPU, as opposed to even very basic iGPU (which many CPU's do have).

However, if this would be indeed the case, this would mean a major problems for any user with a CPU without an in-built iGPU part - which is pretty much vast majority of enthusiast and workstation CPU's.

Marco Foresti

@Kert

I saw that L3 uses the GPU only for on-screen pixel-related operation that means zooming, scrolling and rotating - at least on my installation.

Catalog-related operations should be totally unaware of the GPU.

The problem of the very slow opening is because L3 rescans the library folders at each start.

At the moment I'm not using L3 anymore: it's totally unusable even due to several other bugs. I'll wait for the announced end-of-january update than decide if keep or leave it.

K.G. Wuensch

@Marco, do you really think that Skylum has the capacity to remedy conceptual flaws like the image browser not being a fixed grid or the automatic noise reduction as determined by a hapless noise detection or the white balance in the RAW filter being affected by the filter strength setting?

Marco Foresti

@ K.G.

Actually I'm not optimistic: as you said, there are many bugs and many thing not working well "by design". L3 Libraries should be rethinked from scratch. 

One thing I really can not understand is why things working in Luminar 2018 are not working in L3. I thought they used the same code but unfortunately it doesn't seem that way.

BTW in the past days I completed in a production enviroment the workflow of my typical set (about 500 raw files) using On1 2019 and IT WORKED almost perfectly and replacing LR with only a few hassle. I keep on waiting because I prefer the raw develop module of Luminar 2018 (hoping to find it in L3), but in case of Skylum fault, I'm not in trouble.

K.G. Wuensch

And here my problem is that the RAW conversion is fatally flawed and unusable in a workflow because it has elements beyond your control. If you happen to have a highly detailed image shot at medium ISO (which happens to me a lot because I am often photographing insects before sunup or after sunset - then often it's almost wind still but still you have to keep the shutter speed in check in case the slightest of winds decides to come up for a moment) then the automatic noise reduction may or may not kick in and screw up your image because it may misdetect the amount of noise because of the amount of detail (you wouldn't believe how hairy many butterflies and bees are)... And that noise reduction has been there for about a year and Skylum is proud about this ****!

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

As being said, Luminar 3 is our first implementation of a Library module, so currently, not everything may work as smooth as expected. I am really sorry that some of you are facing these performance issues. We do promise to address most of them in the upcoming updates and we really hope for your patience on this matter.

Marco Foresti

Dear Helena,

it's not matter of things that don't work "as smooth as expected". We are talking of things that don't work at all - except that you consider half an hour to start the program or the impossibility to edit five images without crashes or bugs as a normal thing.

I hope that's not the case.

A thing that's a real concern for me is your understatement of the problem. I've been involved in several software developments and can tell you that a program with so many flaws cannot even be considered a beta test. You even put it on sales!!!

I cannot figure out how can you fix all this in such a short time. I'd preferred to hear from you "ok dudes, we was kidding: the library module will be available in six months" ... it's a much more reliable statement!

Anyway, let's wait for the next update ...

Helena Carter

@Marco, 

I completely understand how frustrating it is to wait that long for the program to load your Library. Currently, such behavior occurs when you have a huge Library to load. The workaround is to remove your Luminar 3 Catalog and add your folders partially starting with the smaller ones or remove your Catalog and use Luminar 3 for Quick Edits if this doesn't help until we fix it.

Surely, we don't promise to make Luminar 3 perfect with just one more update and fix everything. But each update for us is a big step for further improvements: we learn on our own and yours experiences and make our Library module more stable and usable for you.

Wai Siew

I noticed this thread hasn't been updated for while. Is L3 actually faster now? I have just installed it only recently.
    It appears to run very slow on my desktop, but strangely a little faster on my laptop. i7 gen is newer on laptop. Perhaps this is the reason. Also my catalog on laptop is not big compared to PC. I see this is one of the recommends in this thread.
    It still feels a little start and go with the work flow as the software seems to stall while it processes the image. I switched to discrete GPU, but it doesn't appear to improve. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Anna V

Hi Wai, 

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Please sign in to leave a comment.