Workflow recommendations - separate RAW & JPEG directories

Comments

4 comments

Laurie Sheppard

Following.  I have a similar question.

Tom Pickering

Leo -

if you're planning to develop RAW images in Luminar, you should point their DAM at those images.  Understand that there is currently no means of passing the information in your Lightroom catalog to Luminar and they don't expect one for a while.

You may be better off using Luminar as a plugin to Lightroom while they are finishing up on their DAM.

Roger Salvesen

Hi Leo. As I am still using Capture one 12 from time to time I decided to use a more centralized but simple folder structure. So I continue to point Capture one and Luminar to separate Raw and Jpeg folders. When in Luminar I use the filter by date method to narrow down events and create "Albums" which are virtual and do not affect the folder structure. In this way if I return to Capture one the folder hierarchy is left alone.

One however can easily use Luminar as a plug in and it will continue to work well. I have also added back to Luminar my "outputs" folder so any of my output photos can be seen at any time when in luminar. Luminar 3 auto syncs the folder contents live so your edits can always be reviewed. 

This system could allow one to gradually move over or use both Lightroom and Luminar in Tandem as I am with capture one.
    Anyway my point is a simple folder structure could be supported for both apps. However if you prefer to use Lightrooms own structure it may be better to use Luminar as an extension or plug in.

Roger

Roger Salvesen

Sorry Leo if I was not more clear  allow me to add that yes, I think you can add both folders to Luminar will little consequence. Luminar will catalog the folders contents and watch them for changes but it seems it does not add significant size to the Luminar Catalog file itself. For me this is working well. Just be aware that if you move or modify these folders in Luminar or the Finder it may affect how Lightroom interacts eg: files may become "offline" in Lightroom. I leave my folders alone but will group photos in Albums in Luminar the way I like. It is somewhat Limited by comparison but give it a few months and they will improve this.

Cheers

Roger

Please sign in to leave a comment.