Luminar 3 won't work on three different computers I have

Comments

11 comments

Sam Stauffer

I have had exactly the same experience. It is obvious that the software was not ready for Windows users. My attempts for support help have gone unanswered, too. I won't be recommending this program to anyone!

Jack Strange

The latest update of Luminar 3 will not launch on my Windows 10 PC either. System resources are not the issue. No comment from Skylum tech support yet. 

charles molt

I have  no issues running lum3 or 18 on Windows 10. My desktop is pretty low end and slow. But when any of my photo editor open they work reasonably well 

Glenn Gambel

Luminar 3 runs on one of my laptops, but not on the other.  I have traced it to the graphics card.  The laptop on which it runs has an I5 processor but a newer graphics card.  It runs Luminar 3, but not without delays and some crashes.  The delays are irritating to say the least.  The crashes are likely a result of the delays and me not waiting long enough for a process to conclude sometimes.

My other laptop has an I7 processor, but an older graphics card and though firmware or software associated with that card are up to date, it will not run Luminar 3.

Both of my laptops run Lightroom and Photoshop without any problem.

I do like Luminar 3 because it is easier to use in many ways.  The file system creates some problems for me.  The slow exporting and the problems I am having with some features are issues, but I am not ready to give up on the program.  Moving photo files from one laptop to the other is a real pain.  Going to see if I can figure that part out using One Drive or a separate portable hard drive from 1 to 3 TBs.

Jack Strange

Luminar 3 isn’t slow on my Windows 10 laptop... it wont even launch.

Alan Torppa

I agree...it appears that Luminar 3 was rushed to market......does anyone have any idea when it will be ready?

Sam Stauffer

I received the following from Anna in support:

Luminar 3 is our first attempt of implementing Photo Libraries functionality.

It doesn't work perfectly and we're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

For now, I can recommend you to have your images on the Internal HD and try to minimize the number of images in your Catalog. 

Hope for your understanding. 

Jack Strange

Thanks Sam. I have heard nothing from support yet.

For those of us who cannot launch the program at all, I guess the only solutions are to

1) uninstall Luminar 3, and
    2) reinstall Luminar 2018 or simply continue to use my Lightroom or DXO.

It really does call into question the value that Skylum offers its users.

Hanving come from the software industry the biggest problem is not the buggy code but rather the lack of candor and communication from the developer.

Jack Strange

Hello,

I received a very gracious email from Anton in tech support and I think he rectified the problem. The program opens now.

Here is the portion of the text of the response that fixed the launch issue.

---

Hi Jack,

This issue may be occurring due to bad EXIF data in the photos that are being imported into Luminar.

You can fix it by doing the following:

• Reboot your computer.
    • Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for Luminar Catalog folder, search your custom location.
    • Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    • Start Luminar. This time it should open without errors.
    • When adding an image folder to your Luminar catalog, specify another folder with photos (not the one you pointed Luminar to before encountering the error).

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you. 

Anton
    Skylum Support Team
    Great Photography Differently
    Web: www.skylum.com
    Connect on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter

Paul Yonker

4 Gig is really tight for a MAC.  It appears that Luminar 3 uses 1.4G just to load.

I have a MAC with 24G everything runs just fine.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Johnnie,

If you haven't already, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Please also note that your iMac w/ 4GB of RAM doesn't meet the tech requirements for Luminar. Here are the required specs:

For Mac:

• MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, Mac mini
    • Processor Intel 64-bit Core 2 Duo or better
    • Mac from early 2010 or newer
    • Memory 8 Gb RAM or more
    • macOS Mojave 10.14, High Sierra 10.13.1, Sierra 10.12.6, El Capitan 10.11.5
    • Hard disk 10 GB free space, SSD for best performance
    • Display 1280x768 size or better

For Windows:

• Windows-based hardware PC with mouse or similar input device
    • Open GL 3.3 or later compatible Graphics Cards
    • Processor Intel Core i5 or better
    • Memory 8 Gb RAM or more
    • Operating System Windows 7 (only 64-bit OS), Windows 8.1 (only 64-bit OS), Windows 10 (only 64-bit OS)
    • Hard disk 10 Gb free space, SSD for best performance
    • Display 1280x768 size or better

Please sign in to leave a comment.