Review and missing features

Comments

7 comments

Euripides Argyropoulos

I believe too that sharing on instagram in addition to properly crop function for that, is a must feature .

Steve Ratts

@Evan,

The roadmap can be found here and may answer some questions: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Skylum has been very responsive updating the roadmap and getting out 3.0.1 ahead of the planned releases date of 12/31 (nice job!). For me 3.0.1 solved an issue I had with a large catalog (65K+ images) on an external drive where in 3.0.0 it would let me browse the images but would crash if I attempted to edit any of them - using a smaller catalog on my internal SSD got around that; but now that 3.0.1 is here I've not yet seen a crash and I'm back to the full catalog on the external drive. I mention this because you indicated building a 75K catalog took overnight. I recall that in 3.0.0 I had a similar experience, but when I built that catalog again from scratch in 3.0.1 it was significantly quicker and certainly more stable. Are you by chance still on 3.0.0? If so, you may want to run the "Check for Updates" function.

Several of the features you've requested have already been requested by others - which really just means that lots of folks are interested in those too and hopefully they'll get prioritized. In particular keywords (and editing EXIF/Metadata), comparing images, and file renaming are all popular requests - and for excellent reasons!

When you ask for the ability to copy an image do you really want a duplicate copy of the original file? Skylum is already planing a feature where we'll be able to have virtual copies so that in the non-destructive edit sense we can have multiple "versions" of a single file without needing multiple copies of the original. Personally I'd prefer virtual copies to actual copies that just eat up disk space. If that will meet your needs then take heart it's on the list and we should see it Jan/Feb 2019.

On the erase tool I have to be honest and say Erase in Luminar is just no where near as good as the equivalent in Lightroom. The LR version works way faster, gives better results, and doesn't result in a new layer. I really wish Erase in Luminar worked more like that in LR, but at least we've got something. I know that in LR when you sync adjustments from one shot to others the default will put the same erase edits in the same pixel locations - and sometimes this makes a lot of sense. Consider the use case where unbeknownst to you you've gotten a few stray raindrops on your lens and they're creating blur spots in images. If you erase the blur spots on one image you may want to replicate the exact same erase edits on other images taken around that time.

Obviously there are also lots of use cases where what you're erasing in one image is not in the same place on subsequent images, or even not present at all - so clearly it would be nice to be able to exclude a local edit like that when copying adjustments from one image to another. In LR it's possible to pick and choose what things to sync. That would be nice to have in Luminar too and may address your concern.

Cheers,

Steve

Evan Chan

+1 to Instagram sharing, and instead of forcing square crop, agree that should accommodate existing landscape or portrait to a certain degree.  Even better is if it had an option to add a white or black banner to the top or bottom or sides to make it overall square.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Evan,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on Luminar 3. As Steve mentioned, several of the items you listed are already on our roadmap and many of the others have been requested by other users as well. Hopefully we can implement many of these features in the future. I'll be sure to share your suggestions with our developers. 

Evan Chan

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response, I thought I upgraded to 3.0.1, but apparently not.  Will definitely try again and hope catalog building is much faster, though I might go the route with smaller catalogs.

About copying images.  The reason why I want copy is that my workflow (which is probably much more unique) is very much file system based.  Thus I copy images I like to physical album directories and it's part of my backup strategy.   I could replace that part of the workflow with Luminar albums and export them if I want the physical copy I guess, but then exporting albums is an extra step.   Similarly I like to have copies of edited images right away for backup purposes and integration with other tools, such as specialized astrophotography, stitching tools etc. as well as social media/sharing that is not supported by Luminar yet (Instagram is a big one for example).   Having extra disk space is not that big of a deal as the number of images edited is much smaller; and a good backup workflow is more important to me.

Selective sync would be really really welcome.  I guess for now the workaround is to sync before erase.   Also cleaning my sensor regularly has helped eliminate various need for erase, but not completely.

Steve Ratts

Oh I agree completely about the social media! I don't use Smug Mug, so it doesn't help me at all to be able to export to that. I do use Instagram and so would like to be able to use that. I'm getting set to check out 500px too. It would be really nice to have more options for those in export.

BTW, nice to see another astrophtographer using the SW! I do a bit of that myself - mainly wide angle whole sky stuff.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Ratts

Yes! But I'd like the square crop to be optional please. Instagram does allow non-square aspect ratios, which I like to make use of.

Please sign in to leave a comment.