If it's any consolation...

Comments

20 comments

Colin Grant

But I really do think it will get better - it is possibly better already is as an editor anyway. I too have tried ON1 and it works well enough on my Mac but I just do not like the workflow. Capture One is just too damned expensive, Lr has been talked about so that probably only leaves DxO PhotoLab which is not easy to use but does give great results (if you are not shooting Fuji). L3 seems to be running well now, albeit with a catalogue of only 4k images. Give me keywords, exif, search (including smart albums) and the ability to rename my files and I reckon it will be enough for me. Time will tell.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bob Rockefeller

"Give me keywords, exif, search (including smart albums) and the ability to rename my files and I reckon it will be enough for me."

That is pretty much where I am. But I'd add versions and stacks.

And it would not hurt my feelings if I had an option to show the browsing grid in the traditional way with margins around each image and thumbnails of the same size.

Colin Grant

Agreed re versions and stacks. Jury still out re browsing grid.

Ronald Skinner

Luminar 3 is running pretty good on my iMac, things I don't like is when scrolling through Edited photos it takes time to apply the edits and I get color shifts sometimes until the adjustments are added. Also when using a magic mouse in the edit window barely touching the mouse will cause Luminar to scroll to another photo.  The Editor works great though, just gotta get some bugs out of the Library part of the program.

Colin Grant

The colour shifts seem better, far from perfect, but better since the last update. The entire app feels more stable, not quite so hesitant. The Magic Mouse thing is a real pain. DxO is like that as well so I am beginning to reconsider the magic mouse, although to  be fair Skylum have acknowledged the issue. Also on iMac with Mojave,

Ronald Skinner

I'm using High Sierra haven't moved to Mojave yet.  I use a program called Photo Mechanic to ingest my photos and it has a setting that lets you adjust the sensitivity of scrolling when using the mouse wheel it also seems to work with the magic mouse, I wonder if they can add that feature to Luminar.

Colin Grant

I have and it can get better results than Lr if you know how to use it. But it does not support Fuji so that kills it for some. This is also a Skylum forum so perhaps not best place to discuss.

Nigel Turley

I know Capture One is very very expensive but for me at least it's simply the best combination of tools to process RAW. I've been a user for a few years now so at least the initial price was a little easier to stomach - upgrades are still steep, but I can always miss a version if i don't need the newest feature set. Having tried and rejected On1 - too 'precious' about their software and don't appreciate any criticism of their baby, even though it's really awful at handling wide angle shots from Canon compacts (huge barrel lens distortion which can't be removed). I did also take a look at PhotoLab2 - but that just didn't have the ease of use or output quality of C1P. I was a bit hopeful of Luminar, but losing faith rapidly - while I trust Skylum to iron out the major bugs, 3 should never have been released in this state, whether it was a free upgrade or not - they've got a lot of catching up to do to make the DAM/Library even worthy of that name - it's an incredibly poor tool and I can't believe the amount of time they were supposedly developing it...

Colin Grant

Fair points, Nigel. Personally I have found the results out of PL2 to be exceptional although as you say it is not the most intuitive piece of software. They are working hard on it and select beta testers from their user base (registered users can apply). The dam is coming on a treat and is already far better than L3. They are also working on expanding the selective editing capability and once Nik gets integrated...... well!

Luminar is/was a great idea from a company that seems to be driven by the sales effort and not production quality. To me they appear to be sailing very close to the wind and every release has been a nightmare, or it has since they expanded into Windows.   With L3 it is even worse and I cannot believe they are actually selling it. I hope they learn lessons but I really do believe the company works in a universe of which we know little :-)

Bob Rockefeller

"I know Capture One is very very expensive but for me at least it's simply the best combination of tools to process RAW. "

Nigel, this is still true. My complaints are the cost, the quirky interface, its little annoying bugs (that have not been fixed even though they were confirmed as bugs and added to the list), and the fact that such operations as blemish removal take many layers to accomplish.

But it's RAW conversions are the best in the industry, IMHO.

If ON1 Photo RAW and Luminar 3 don't pan out soon, I may just be going back.

Bob Rockefeller

"I'm curious why folks here haven't mentioned DxO's PhotoLab2."

Mike, I must have tried PhotoLab2 in the recent past, although I don't remember what I didn't like about it. I can check it again because my trial period has expired. :(

Maybe I found the DAM too limited? I must have been worlds better than Luminar 3, though! :)

I've paid for Capture One Pro 11, Luminar, and ON1 Photo RAW, so I'm not up for buying yet another on a hope. :(

Colin Grant

There was not a DAM, there was/is just an image browser, but it played/plays well with the other dams out there. They are now actively building a dam (I am on the testing team as are many other users). They are rolling it out in stages but already at this early stage "search" is there and there is more to come with free upgrades during the version 2 life cycle. What I like is the constructive interaction on the forums between devs and users. It is a shame they are not covering Fuji, hopefully they will when this part of the development ends but only time will tell. I would not bet on it.

Bob Rockefeller

"I would not bet on it."

Nor would I. They have basically said they would never add Fuji's sensor to their optical testing tools so I can't see them adding something to their software that their hardware can't develop profiles for.

If there is no DAM, that would be why I was out. Maybe I'll look again at v3.

Luminar has the basic skeleton of a good workflow tool in place now, minus the bugs. If they can get their QC cycle straightened out, adding the missing DAM features should be a "simple matter" of adding fields to the database and interface affordances to match.

Colin Grant

I believe the CEO boasts that Skylum was launched and survives on limited funding. It has not had to borrow big. If there is no structured finance behind the company then that explains why it is driven by sales rather than end product quality. That cannot possibly last can it?  Not if quality remains at the current low. Customers will walk away. That does not matter if there are others to fill the gap of course. But what happens when sales growth slows and the requests for refunds keeps coming?

The question going through a lot of minds must be - is this company here for the long term, can it survive and can I rely on it? 

Colin Grant

Mike have just made a post but doubt it will get through the Skylum police

Colin Grant

I have been with Skylum since this brilliant Macphun days - Intensify Pro and the rest were great apps. Then along came Skylum and it fell apart. We get all sorts of messages saying how they love us all and do listen to us but then they run off and do the same thing. Are they shallow words or do they just need some decent management. We now have L3 where they said they understood things had been bad in the past so the upgrade would be free. Do we believe that or did they already know they were about to release a beta and not even of pre-release quality? I know where my money is.

I love the Luminar concept. I would love to have it as my desktop app of choice. The question is will it ever get to the standard promised and in a timely manner. Like you, my friend, I am getting tired of waiting.

Darren Williams

I would like to say that my initial experience of Luminar 3 was a disaster. It's long awaited DAM appeared so slow and buggy that it was unusable for me, and so I looked for an alternative (non-subscription) package.

After some research, ON1 2019 sounded ideal. However, to my surprise, this thing was even worse. The DAM was orders of magnitude slower and the application locked up completly on numerous attempts at anything.

Now at this point, I was scratching my head. I've been a software developer for 20 odd years and have used many, many applications in my time, but it felt like the marketing guys and the flashy YouTube videos promising speed and awesomeness were simply lies. 

Now my pictures are stored on a NAS and my MacBook was fine running editing using Luminar 2018 and pretty much anything else without a DAM, so I thought... I'm currently using a 100MB wireless connection, but what if I used an Ethernet connection. So I purchased a USB to LAN adapter to give me a Gigabit connection to my NAS...

Wow, what a difference that made! The Luminar browser came alive. Now it's certainly not perfect, we are all aware of what's missing etc., so I'm not going to cover this, but it's far from the duff experience I first had.

What of ON1 2019?

Well, the DAM on that also started to work a little better - in that it actually managed to display my 6000 odd images. But after this, editing (you know the main goal) is a pretty slow and buggy affair. I really want to like ON1, but out of the two, Luminar for me is in a better working state and so I'll be sticking with this.

Just to add, in my opinion, the workflow of Luminar 3 is excellent compared to the competition!

Colin Grant

But there again I have ONI 2019 on my IMac with images on a basic usb drive and it runs flawlessly and has a far superior dam to L3. I do not like the ON1 workflow but that does not detract from its overall performance and functionality.

Darren Williams

I totally agree that the ON1 DAM has much more functionality than L3 (not that hard really), but I found that some of the editing tools are just too slow and I've had the app crash far too often.

For example, the Mask brush has a huge amount of lag it's almost unusable, which is such a shame because it has some excellent functionality. It's interesting that your experience is more positive.

BTW, I'm using a 2015 i7 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. 

Colin Grant

Late 2017 iMac 4k with only 8 gig and on which Lr, ON1 and Luminar runs ok.

The brush lag on ON1 has been there forever really, although it is only a real pain here when using the edge aware stuff. I cannot remember the last crash but then I do not use it much anymore having returned to Adobe and a couple of plugins (Luminar and Nik). I just cannot get used to the On1 workflow which is strange because it is similar to Luminar. I think ON1 handles layers better if what I have read here about Luminar only rendering previews up to the highlighted layer is true. If that is confirmed I will remove Luminar from my workflow entirely until it is fixed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.