Luminar 3.0.1 is here

Comments

90 comments

Nick Barber

I tried installing Luminar 3 on a different machine - 32gig RAM, 1TB SSD, Win 10 64bit. It took about 45 minutes to catalogue around 73k images and then I was able to get past the start screen for the first time. Tried to edit an image but the program crashed after moving three sliders. At that point I gave up.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ashley Goble

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360036239292/comments/360003582672

Nick-Barber. I had the same problem when I opened L3.0 the first time. On second time starting it worked fine and has done ever since, even with the latest update 3.0.1. I'm running W10 16gb RAM and a 500gb SSD and other standard hard drives.

It's also working OK as a LR plugin. There must be a reason why it works for some and not others! Just a stab in the dark but have you updated all drivers i.e video?

Nick Barber

Ashley - Yes - I updated my graphics driver prior to installation last night (quite coincidentally!)

Ashley Goble

Nick- OK, sorry it's not working for you.

Liang Wee

Dear Skylum Team,

The problem still not solved. When I press Export or Export > Browse, it will still randomly jump back to Library. I end up cannot export my photo into JPEG. All my edit are reset. 

1. Clipping shortcut key "J" short cut key not working.

Ralf Leineweber

The program doesn´t work at all. After starting it shows a preview of three files in a folder containing approximately 2500 files and that´s it. No sign that anything is going on (reading file structure ???, 15% CPU usage) and no reaction on any pressed button (shutdown via task manager required). Completely unusable. Unfortunately I already paid for the program.as the previous Luminar 2018 version had been quite promising and only the DAM had been missing.

Holger Sell

I spent the past 3 hours again with Luminar. crashed 4 times and only managed to go through around 200 pics. jumping back and forth between settings screws things up. as others have described once you apply a filter or setting you cannot change this again later on. If you try to close and reopen the software usually crashes. Working in IT i know all about software bugs et al but this is not even in proper Beta, almost Alpha stage I call this. Seems to me none of the functionality went through QA at all. 

I'll now need to move over to ON1 and see how many times that crashes. not without bugs but it is usable at least.  

George Dimitroff

I guess I'll join the club.  Tried using a few filters on a first image and the editing sidebar for that image has crashed.

I'm willing to stick it out to see if these serious bugs can be dealt with as the program shows much promise.

Harry Conte

I have not been able to load the update to L3 but I did successfully load L3 and began using it.  I had no problems with filters,etc.

However, it did take a long while to populate the amount of photos now I have to decide how to catalog them etc., if I want to do so as using colors which they only give us five to use.

They need to give us some tagging ability as well.

Seems to me they rushed to get this catalog out at a prescribed date and left too many things dangling.  Now if I could only upload the update..................

Scott Baker

Version 3.0.1.1610.

Unusable. It's doing things that I can't even begin to describe, starting with not having usable keyboard shortcuts

This is on a 3 week old Win10 machine that FAR exceeds the minimum requirements to run the program

Back to Luminar 2018 until.........................  

Bert Schmitz

When I installed L3 and had downloaded my 42000 images, it could not be opened anymore.  After complaining, Skylum send me an e-mail that told me to remove my images from L3 and download them as separate folders. What was crazy as I have hundreds of folders.  After the latest update all my images downloaded but it takes a long time to open a file.  Working in L3 is extremely SLOOOOW and a few times the whole program has stopped working while editing an image.  This program is not ready for the market, and uses their customers as Beta testers.  (See how much so called fixes there are in the first update, and it still does not work correct.)  I for one have enormous buyer's remorse, I had hoped that this could replace my stand alone "Lightroom 6" but even as that is slow, it is still much faster than L3 and never stops or crashes.  I don't think you will stay long in business with releasing a buggy program like this.  I think you should consider giving people for whom the program does not work correct their money back. 

I have Windows10 with 64bit and have all the latest updates.

Dianne Arnold

v 3.0.1.1610 is unusable for me. I can't even get the program to open once it installs,. 

I have totally removed L3.0,1, cleaned the registry, rebooted, reinstall 3.0.1, get splash screen and that's it.

I've tried a repair vs uninstall -- same result. The splash screen goes away/crashes after about 15 minutes. 

Win 10, 64bit, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD for the OS & programs, plenty of room on the other internal HDD. The OS and video card are up to date.

No clue what to try next, so will give up for now and go back to LR.

Jason Franklin

Really wanted to like this newest version, but alas, it just doesn't work yet.

Appears in the rush to get the product to market with some type of DAM, Skylum just didn't do the due diligence to put the finishing touches on the program.

I have attempted to use on both my laptop and my desktop.  They both open and show some of my images in my designated folder but that is spotty at best and the time it takes to try to open a photo for editing is disappointing.

Will uninstall this version and wait for the update in Jan/Feb.

Tom Pickering

To all those having a slow start to the program, try renaming the Luminar Catalog folder in the Pictures folder to something else.  Since the DAM is really not ready yet, no sense in importing images into it.

Maraio Arn

Bug or feature  with copy and paste adjustments in edit mode:

If i copy the adjustments from one picture and paste it on another, the picture name changes.

- Copy adjustments from "Picture1.jpg"

- Paste the adjustments to "Picture2.jpg",

- Name of "Picture2.jpg" changes to "Picture1.jpg"

- When i want to export the file, the name is "Picture1.jpg" and not "Picture2.jpg" 

Very confusing!

Jordan Hansen

Works way better for me! everything seem to be loading at a usable speed now. Still could be improved, but I'm sure those updates will be on the way. 

Jill Edwards

FULL install file please.

please get rid of the online installer nonsense!

George Dimitroff

Update - my issue was trying to edit 1st image on Windows 10. A few edits on initial screen, go to Library - go back to Edit and all edit buttons are frozen for that image.

I updated GeForce drivers and changed Luminar Catalog to C drive as some suggested - same problem. No further edits possible for that 1st image and image is zoomed in too far - can't change.

Tim Harris

Am I missing something here?

I also had the programme working although it was so slow I could have developed and printed film negatives faster. Now it just doesnt load. I have tried all the fixes and uninstalled/installed several times with no joy.

Everyone seems so patient and willing, if they have the computer knowledge, to try various attempts to get the programme working. I am guessing that you all paid in the region of £/$ 50 for the programme?

I really hoped I had found the answer to my image processing requirement but I seem to have bought into an elaborate con.

If I bought a car and then found that it wouldn't start because half the engine was missing I would take it back to the showroom and get my money back...not accept that the rest of the parts may or may not arrive in a month or so and when they do it still may not work.

I see no apologies from Skylum and no offers of re-imbursement. 

I just can't blieve that they have released this software in an unusable state after all the fanfare. 

Please please Skylum prove me wrong. Let us know that you are a true competitor to Adobe and not just a wannabee company who now has a lot of peoples money and will disappear leaving us all out of pocket and let down.

Muntasir Hossain

George, this is exactly the problem I am having with L3. For me it's even worse! It doesn't show the thumbnail of the edited image anymore! 

Leila Evans

@Karel Suchanek This is a known issue when you use AI Image Enhancer look or AI Sky Enhancer filter and it will be fixed in v.3.1.0.

@Chris Boursnell Please try to remove your catalog and create the new one again. To remove Luminar Catalog on Windows:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

@Nick Barber @Dianne Arnold - In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your HIDE code:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz3p1hi2ze6j50x/ViewIDE.exe?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HIDE code from the application's window and send it to support@skylum.com

@Nick Barber Also, please specify the sliders you were working with and sund us the original image file via WeTransfer to support@skylum.com

@Marc Dobson @Jill Edwards - Here is the full installer: https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Win_Luminar_3_Release_1610.msi

@jean Vidal @Guy Inkognito - Could you please specify what looks/filters did you apply to the image? If it's AI Image Enhancer look or AI Sky Enhancer filter, it will be fixed in v.3.1.0. As for the thumbnails, it seems like performance issues that also will be improved in the beforementioned version.

@Rich Goldman @Dan Little @Nick Barber @Les Fairall @Harry Conte- Please try reinstalling Luminar 3. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2601726

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-delete-or-uninstall-a-program-in-windows/a4cbeb29-2ca3-46f0-855f-ba5e8df2436c

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminar from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Win_Luminar_3_Release_1610.msi

@Andrew Davis - It's up to you whether to keep both versions or delete 2018 one.

@Craig Levine - Please try reinstalling the plugin. Here's how to do this:

1. Make sure your host applications are closed.
    2. Launch Luminar as administrator (right-click the Luminar icon > Run As Administrator).
    3. Click File.
    4. Click Install Plugins.
    5. Click Uninstall next to the host applications in which you're having trouble loading Luminar as a plugin. Then click Install to install the plugin again. In case the buttons already read Install right after you load the plugin installation dialog, simply click Install once for the host applications of your choice. 

Just to make sure that you send files from LR to Luminar 3 correctly. Right-click on the image > Export > Export to Luminar 3 > You have an option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminar 3, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Fred Lüdemann

@Muntasir @George @many other

You do not have to use the AI-Sky-Enhancer on a Windows-PC!
    This has been discussed several times by the Skylum team.

If you use this filter you can not reedit your photo
    This problem will be resolved with the update at the end of January.

Workaround:
    Right-click on the photo in the library - set back all settings.

Workaround with new fotos: dont use the AI-Sky-Enhancer.

Leila Evans

@Tim Harris @Bert Schmitz - We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them. We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February. If you can't wait till then, it's not a problem to issue you a refund. Just reach us at support@skylum.com

@Maraio Arn - That's an odd behavior I couldn't reproduce. Please send us a screen recording of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Also, send us original image files you were working with. Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it may ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.
    Barry Sachais

If I might add a bit to Ms. Evans registry cleaner advice with CC Cleaner. I did on Dec. 19, the day after the release of L3 and some of the performance problems were solved. That is not to say that all the problems were gone, but at least, after a slow boot-up L3 was at least useable.

For those not hesitant to go into the registry ( run regedit) I'd suggest to a "Find" for all references to Luminar 3. As good as CC Cleaner is there were still keys it missed. After totally purging my PC ( Win10) with all Luminar 3 references I reinstalled it. As mentioned above, L3 needs some fixing but I am able to use the program effectively, although sometimes not as speedily as I'd like.

Like many others, I feel the release was premature; however, I really do like working with it. My hope is the same that many of you have, that Skylums next fix will fix much of what went wrong with the first release on Dec. 18.

Guy Inkognito

@Leila Evans

Thanks for your reply.

Example: I open Luminar. Thumbnails will be loaded except for those pictures, which have been edited. These are having the 'edit icon' on it and stay black.

So i double-click an image for editing, clear the filters and just add the filter 'RAW Development'. Then i just set the clarity from 0 to 25. No AI-Filters involved. When i now try to edit another image (heading back to the overview or just click on the film strip on the left hand side) the full-resolution picture won´t be loaded and i can´t zoom in. The filter area is 'frozen' and shows the editing i have done to the very first image. This won´t change until i restart Luminar.

Thumbnail issue: Hm...i mean, there are performance issues. But the problem i described in my latest post ,will occur, even if there are just 3 images in the folder i added.

Best regard

George Dimitroff

The suggestions released above suggest that in Windows we should avoid the AI sliders. I did some simple raw edits on the same problem image and avoided/deleted AI sliders and this time it did not crash for that image. Unfortunately these sliders were default when trying a 1st image.

I have used Lightroom since it was released and see great potential in Luminar if we can get by these Windows release bugs. A fellow enthusiast has used Luminar on his Mac and likes it, giving cause for us to be patient. I'm planning to track Luminar's progress and use as an adjunct to Lightroom 6.14 throughout 2019.  Cheers

Marc Dobson

@Leila Evans

The links to the standalone installers do not work..access denied..

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>520E7D212717BB65</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    5nvafCYFLGzkk0m1pgSg3Z9Y85NsO5LHTsChQ2fSh5otQPpCvh5mRtv1arM833K3x4SLL0HnIZg=
    </HostId>
    </Error>

Casey Fry

I downloaded Luminar 3 when it was released, and after lots of problems installing it finally got it installed... but I couldn't do anything, as it got stuck on the library view (I could not click on anything else). I had to leave town for the holidays though, so I left it alone for that time.

After returning, I tried to run the program again with the same problem, but this time I got a message about the 3.01 update; I downloaded the update and installed it, now it displays the splash page for a long period, 10-15 minutes; it just sits there with the cursor spinning, then the library finally opens with the same problem as before; I can't select anything or exit the library for about an hour... then navigation is extremely slow until it locks up; unusable.

Muntasir Hossain

@Fred @Leila 

I uninstalled L3, deleted the catalog, reinstalled L3 but the problem persists. I did not used any AI filter or looks. I only used some basic filters like, RAW develop, sharpening, curves, hsl,  etc. L3 only worked for the first use then stopped working when relaunched. Thumbnails are not shown for the edited photos and the side panel (edit/develop) is forzen! 

Udo Stensitzky

@ Leila

Sorry, cannot download the full installer for Luminar 3 under the given direct access link. This is what I get:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>A6ECAFA26AE9B1A3</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    pjnC21nFaF0d32XbHw7ydzNir5R24ytylDTCHP9DQMKfsYZWXy4pNt1R+MFc+lHzZLslfFqDjPE=
    </HostId>
    </Error>

Please sign in to leave a comment.