"Smart Albums" like Aperture has

Comments

8 comments

Robert Lancaster

It looks like there is a similar functionality in their wall. You can select to show only photos with certain numbers of stars and from selected folders. But that function does not exist in the edit view

Comment actions Permalink
    Barry Komar

Thanks, Robert. Where is this "wall" that you refer to?

I was going thru the manual and in Chapter 12, found this:
    "

Chapter 12: Filtering Images

The Showing drop-down menu located to the left of Shortcuts allows you to filter your images by favorite, ratings, color and even edited. With hundreds, thousands, even hundreds of thousands of pictures, finding the best ones can be tricky. For instance, selecting show 4 Stars or More, lets you view only some of your best photos."

however, I have yet to find this "Showing" dropdown menu they refer to.
    Here's what my Library tab displays...certainly no "Showing" drop down that I can see....

Robert Lancaster

When Luminar first opens, you see the wall of photos. The menus you are looking for are at the top right. But the minute you double click a photo, it leaves the wall and goes into the editor view

Barry Komar

Thanks again, Robert.

Robert Lancaster

Sure

Ake Rahlen

I second this suggestion. Both the "Showing" filtering and the static albums are much too rudimentary to support organisation of larger libraries.

Automatic albums should be dynamic and automatically contain all images currently in the library that currently fits the criteria. The current method (manually add photos to a album) is very tedious with a large library. It also only adds your current photos. Every time new photos are added to the library, you need to go through them and add them to your albums

The criteria could be just about anything from metadata as well as star / colour or other labels added in Luminar and you should be able to combine multiple criteria into a smart album.

In current version "shortcuts" are similar but it only works for dates. There is a shortcut that displays all images of a certain year, month or day. Smart albums should work like this but be highly configurable so they help you to find "all good photos taken 2017 with a medium telephoto lens for client x" or other very specific need each photographer has. 

Example of criteria for smart albums: 

• a date-span, time of day
    • photos taken with a certain camera, lens, focal length, aperture, exposure time, ISO
    • photos from certain geography
    • rating, flag, colour, keyword, edited, included in other album
    • filetype

Angela Andrieux

Thank you for the feedback! I will share your suggestions with our developers.

Colin Grant

HI Angela, must say I support @Ake on this. Not having smart albums will deprive  the Library of a very important function and one that is pretty basic to a dam. I thought it was already on the road map but perhaps I am thinking about search, which provides all the tools that would be used by a smart album (or should do).

Have a great day.

Please sign in to leave a comment.