XMP Sidecar support not on roadmap

Comments

21 comments

Denis Kotsee

At the moment there are no plans to support .xmp sidecar files on any level. You can back up Luminar's library in order to avoid losing your catalog structure and edits in an unlikely event when the library files become corrupt.

Comment actions Permalink
    Norbert Seekircher

I thought about migrating my Capture One catalog to Luminar and XMP would have been the way to migrate keywords. Is there any other way to get keywords from Capture One to Luminar?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Norb,

Luminar 3 doesn't have keyword support yet, but we will be adding it in the future. Please see the roadmap to learn more about what we have planned here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Norbert Seekircher

Thanks Angela,

my comment was related to a future version of Luminar which supports keywords. If keywords are a planned feature but XMP support isn't, I wonder how to migrate keywords from Capture One (in my case) to Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Norbert,

We'll be able to share more specifics about keywords in Luminar when we get closer to releasing that functionality, along with ways to migrate from other platforms.

Colin Grant

Angela, am I right in believing that roadmap has changed considerably. Were not, for instance, searches, keywording and exif originally due end Jan/start Feb? Or am I misreading this?

Thank you

Colin

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

The roadmap was indeed recently updated to include specifics of what to expect in the next update (3.0.2). The functionality you mentioned was also previously in the Planned column, but to the best of my recollection a timeframe wasn't mentioned other than January-December 2019.

Colin Grant

So what you are saying Angela is that Skylum are the same old unreliable company they always were. The timeframe for Exif etc was Jan/Feb but I doubt I can find that as you will have updated everything. Trouble is you are not trusted anymore. We now have a library that will not be a functional DAM until the end of this year, if we are lucky.

Your road map is a smoke screen. It appears to be something you publish in the hope it will keep users quiet. Clearly it is not something you view as a deliverable. But when did what was delivered ever matter to you guys. So when is 3.1 now expected?

All that said, if I am missing something please tell me. I am  not averse to apologising if tappropriate. I am sure you appreciate a lot of us are very jittery about Skylum.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

We're not trying to put up a smoke screen to keep users quiet. Quite the opposite. Our roadmap is intended to show transparency in our planing process so our users can get a realistic view of what is coming, and an estimate as to the timeline.

It is worth noting that our timelines are not set in stone. We prefer to release updates when they are solid, rather than pushing them out at an arbitrary date. As such, sometimes those dates (and the features/fixes included) can shift based on the issues users encounter and the prioritization of fixing critical bugs over adding additional features.

Everything listed on the roadmap, now and in earlier versions shared online is in process and we have every intention of delivering them to our users as soon as we can.

David Tillett

Every time I have looked at the Roadmap things Exif have only ever been in the "planned for 2019" column. When I looked before the recent change the "next release" column still referred to the December 2019 hot fix. I have never seen anything that has put more detailed timescale on the missing features.

As far as I can see the recent update has just added specifics as to what is in the next release. While it would have been nice to have some of the missing features added it does make sense that they are concentrating on getting the basic functionality up and running well before adding new features.

I am also trying out On1 and its user forums have been full of complaints that they are adding new features on an unstable base and asking them to concentrate on getting that right. Which does seem to be how Skylum are approaching the current situation.

K.G. Wuensch

„We prefer to release updates when they are solid,“ You really believe that any release in the past year has been solid? What are you smoking, they all were anything but...

Colin Grant

Were there not going to be two reasonably fast releases - 3.0.1 which we have and then 3.1.0 in Jan/Feb. We now have a 3.0.2 but the major 3.1.0 has vanished and been replaced by nothing other than a rather loose “updates for sometime in 2019”. And yes when did you ever release a stable up to spec piece of software? And David I really do not care what goes on at ON1, it is not even of passing interest to me.

Lutz Ulrich

Yes, you are absolutely right. 3.1.0 had been announced for end of January. I think, Skylum is running far behind their original schedule. 3.0 is grap, 3.0.1 was for issues that should never have been appeared. If Skylum would have tested 3.0 thoroughly, they never had it released in Dez18, if Angela's comment is right.

At the moment I am trying out On1. It also crashed some times has a quite fast DAM, but it will most properly not the software, I will go with

Colin Grant

So the roadmap is not a roadmap, which I see as being a reasonable accurate expectation of the future and against which some will make a decision whether to purchase or not, the roadmap is just something Skylum publish, in the hope it will placate users, whilst amending it to suite their own inefficiencies/over hyping of what is to come and when. It is not therefore a map at all it is a list of things Skylum would like to do or maybe even of things they feel we would like them to do but they might not actually get around to doing.

Anders Svensson

There are quite a few things that various support threads say will be fixed in 3.1.0 by the beginning of February. (Eg. The various "Update from Support Team".)

@Angela, is that not going to happen then?

Anastasia Davis

Hi Anders! Yes, all the fixes we promised to deliver in the next update, will be released in the end of January - beginning of February.
    What is written in the roadmap regarding the next update is accurate information. It is not something we think we will do or we hope to do, but the things which we are sure about.

Colin Grant

Angela, 3.0.2 never existed until recently, the next update was 3.1.0. The latter is not  mentioned on the roadmap and 3.0.2 has been slipped in, which is a minor release given its increment 0.1 to 0.2. That has obviously caused confusion and some anxiety. So can you categorically confirm that 3.1.0 will still be released at the end of this month early next and that 3.0.2 is a minor update that will happen very shortly (it must do if it is to be released prior to 3.1.0). You say all the promised fixes will be in the next update but how can that be if the next update is 3.0.2? Or are you saying 3.0.2 is the next update?

Colin Grant

@Angela, some clarification on this would be helpful. It might just be an administrative thing but it would be good to know seeing as 3.1.0 has been mentioned for so long. Thank you.

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone: 3.0.2 is the update we'll release at the end of this month. It will include all the fixes we previously said were going to be included in 3.1.0. 3.1.0 will be the first major update, the preliminary release date for it is March.

Colin Grant

Thank you Denis. Is it then that 3.0.2 will be a bug fix release with  no additional features?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

It will be primarily bug fixes, but there will also be additional camera support added, and new language localizations as well.

Please sign in to leave a comment.