Luminar 3 update

Comments

39 comments

Mike Lee

"Guys, the performance issues will be fixed in the next update (end of January - beginning of February). The app will get faster and more stable."

Nastia, I know this isn't on you specifically, but you say that as if we're simply not being patient enough or something. This is a LIVE and fully released program. It's not labelled as an alpha or beta anywhere on the website. Skylum is marketing, and currently selling, it as a complete and functional product on the website, taking money from people for a product that they may not even be able to install, let alone use as advertised.

We're not talking about a few minor annoyances here and there. We're talking about massive bugs that are preventing us from using the app in any meaningful way. Full stop. Your company has asked for our trust, but many of us feel like we've been sold a bill of goods. I spent ~$100 CAD on a product that I literally haven't been able to use yet to do even the most basic of tasks.

I guess many of us just don't understand how this was even released in the state it's in currently. These issues are not affecting niche setups - they're widespread and should have been caught by any semblance of quality control. What's craziest to me is that there's been no apology, period, in ANY of the communications from Skylum. You've thanked us for our patience (LOL) but not a single post has addressed the fact that this release was a huge misstep. In not a single post that I've read has anyone from Skylum even come close to saying that the company is sorry for the frustrations this launch has caused for many of us. No one's apologized, once, for the fact that I, and many others, have a $100 paperweight on my computer right now. I oversee a customer service team and it's absolutely crazy to me that this hasn't happened yet.

Here's a great article from someone that's learned first hand how to properly handle a very bad situation from a customer service standpoint (hint: it's by being transparent and honest). The higher-ups at Skylum should give this a read: https://www.groovehq.com/blog/downtime

Comment actions Permalink
    Alan Keen

Hi Just installed update for Windows.
    50s to move off Welcome screen then over an hour with "Reading File Structure" message before any of the buttons become active.
    Closing the program and restarting exactly the same thing happens.

I assume another upgrade will follow shortly!

Leon Backland

I launched L3, clicked the update button, and got this dialogue. Which do I choose...Repair or Uninstall?

My inclination was to choose Repair, but the Uninstall button appears as the default choice so I'm thinking maybe the update process requires you to uninstall previous version 3.0 and then it proceeds with installing 3.0.1?

Jon and Kathryn Graul

.... and yet still unanswered ? Not good , Luminar , this sends a message loud and clear : "be patient" means "quit whining" . This software was really cheap , and as they say , you get what you pay for ?

Philippe Castagna

I fully agree with Mike Lee and understand the last post from Jon and Kathryn Graul.

I'm a former user of Lightroom since the version 4.0 until CC. I started to disagree with their subscription/cloud/catalog orientation but keep using it until last year february 2018 when I switched from Canon full frame to Fujifilm X-T2 as I was not pleased with the rendering of the RAF files.

After trying On1 and Capture One, I finally moved to Exposure X3 then update to X4 as I was satisfied with the program.

Then I discover Luminar 3 beginning of this year and bought it on January 9th 2019. 

Originally I imported my entire media folder (almost 104000 photos) , as I did with the others programs without any issues. With Luminar 3 this action took an infinite time. I tought it will be for the first time only. Unfortunately, each time I launch the program it takes so much time before I can start to work with it. Then when effectively opened, the browsing to search specific images is definitely a deal breaker due to the slowlyness of the process.

I tried everything from re-installing the program from scratch to reduce the size of the import to 12300 images. Still the same issue.

As of today I didn't find the way to really enjoy Luminar 3. So you say "Guys, the performance issues will be fixed in the next update (end of January - beginning of February). The app will get faster and more stable."

We are on January 30th. How long it will takes more before that I can really use efficiently Luminar 3? 

Ralf Wangemann

I also tried to update Luminar 3. But unfortunately I pressed the button "uninstall" and the programme was removed very quickly. Aftet that job I installed Luminar 3 new. The installation was successful but I did not find the "update" . After clicking the update-button in the task-bar Luminar 3 told me, that I use the latest version. Okay! Guess, that the announced update was installed during the reinstalling...  Now I have the impression, that the program is even slower than before. Loading a file with just under 100 fotos takes several minutes and until I can start working to edit a foto, it takes another lon time... During edting the computer freezes and it is only to be stopped with the task manager. Too bad. Unter this conditions I cannot recommend Luminar 3 and so I continue using Luminar 2018. I hope, that Luminar 3 will eliminate these difficulties soon...

Ralf Wangemann

What about the update of Luminar 3, which was announced to be released end of January - beginning February 2019?  Now it is February and I didn't hear anything about it. But I am wondering, that the update is already delivered to Australia. Why that? Gradually I get impatient and wonder how long it will last, until the Eurpean users will finally get their update.

Nevertheless - still patient Ralf Wangemann but I do not know how much longer...

John Aldred

It is always vague .. end of January  ,,,, now "next week"   .....   Really think Skylum ought to explain themselves.  The sotware was issued but did not work for many of us.  Why was that allowed to happen?  Now it is just vague promises as to an update.  Do they actually know what the issues are and can I assume it will work quickly and not crash when it does arrive?

John Aldred

Having watched this on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxXokR-ayoY&t=257s       I have completely removed the catalogue which was in the default location, created a dummy folder as suggested in the video, and uninstalled the program and all traces of it on my system.  Once I overcame the need to reenter ny licence to reinstall and a few other issues, it opens quickly and seems to be working well.  It is that DAM that they made so much off.  Kill it and Luminar is available.

Ralf Wangemann

Rather ridiculous. I can't believe what Skylum is doing. Are they doing something? Yes they are still trying to keep teir customers patient. When the time of the annonced releaseof the Luminar 3 update ended, they starts another elapsing time. Come on Buddies do your job...

Jon and Kathryn Graul

If this goes south , I'm done . I just can't spend an hour on a photo to have it crash in the middle of editing . Can't use the clone tool at all since it doesn't select properly ( known issue not addressed , yet ) Downloaded a trial of ON1 so we'll see . Real shame , or maybe .....

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the update.Please send the following to support@skylum.com and we will investigate this.

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Create a .zip file out of the Luminar Catalog folder. Click here if you need help with that.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, please send us event logs. Also, please briefly describe what precedes the crashes.

1. Cause the crash.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.

We'll need the following information for troubleshooting:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pf15jdigd0mgt4/ViewHID.exe.zip?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HID1 and HID2 codes from the application's window and send them to us.
    John Aldred

Angela     .....    thanks for all of this but I am past caring now.   I did get the previous version to work satisfactorily without the catalogue.  I want to get back to that version as this new version is unworkable.  I have tried to install from older installers but they only reinstall the new version.  So as I have reinstalled and removed the catalogue files, there is no point in doing any of theses complex steps.

If you can get me back one version then I will just wait until Skylum get this right.  Otherwise I would request a refund as I have got other software which does work well.

John Aldred

Ralf Wangemann

I also got the latest update for L3. But I am really angry, that L3 does not work satisfying. Sure it starts faster than before. Also importing folders. But it is impossible to edit more than two or three photos after another. Luminar 3 stops working. After restarting I recognize the same problem. I cannot open any photo to edit. Only when I delete the catalogue folder and restart, L3 works with importing single fotos for a short time - then: see above... Please can somebody tell me, to make it possible running L3 without catalogue or is there any tip how can I delete the folder for ever?

Aydın Salur

Dear Skylum Support Team,

On my first real problem you really disappointed me.

Using Luminar maybe for 6-8 months. You helped me on my little problems. But since the latest upgrade I am not sure how many times I wrote you. You asked me to send screen movie, catalog, my problems and I’ve send you everything. 

Result for the last 15 days the same. Automatic mails again and again. Then mails with some name under it not familiar to me cause changing in every mail. And every time now send me this file we will search. That’s it. Nothing more.

You are trying to send me to use Lightroom again. You are pushing me to another software away from Luminar.

Is there anybody there who is really going to help me. No changing persons on every mail. One responsible person who cares about your customer.

Or are you telling me that Skylum has finished no more support anymore and no more company. 

I still have problem and no help from you on last 15 days !!!!

Really big shame on you !!!!

Aydın
    John Barton

Same as Alan above, have yet to get Luminar 3 to work.

Installed the original version with no success (too slow or locked up "Reading File Structure")

Uninstalled and now tried windows new updated version.

Still the same. 

Has no one at Skylum actually tried this out ????

Back to Luminar 2018 for now.

Disgusting.

John Raftery

Yep, same... uninstalled - that's one way to fix all the crashing bugs... it doesn't crash anymore! If it's managed to delete my libraries as well I will be REALLY unimpressed.

Also, the installer is terrible. I am assuming that the initial download is just a shell program that then downloads the actual program? Why not just let me download the complete program straight up because unless your program is 50GB in size I don't understand why the install process is so slow...

You want to compete as an alternative to Adobe? You're not off to a great start! Adobe are a horrible horrible company to deal with and have absolutely no love for their customer, but at the moment, I'm not sure that you've employed anyone to work in QC (or anyone with a Windows PC maybe?)

Anastasia Davis

Guys, the performance issues will be fixed in the next update (end of January - beginning of February). The app will get faster and more stable. 
    @John Raftery In case you have any troubles with that installer, we have also a full one. Here it is a link for the full installer, just in case:
    https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Luminar_3_Release.msi

Helena Carter

Hi Ralf, the update will be released next week. Have a great day!

Ralf Wangemann

@ John Aldred Then it will probably be better, that we all stay patiently until Luminar 3 runs stable and fast wihthout crashing... Or all affected Windows users throw their computers away and change  to MAC.  Maybe, that´s the plan ;-) 

K.G. Wuensch

@Ralf, don‘t worry, recent Mac Versions were adapted to make them feel part of the community - of a buggy pre-alpha quality software...

George Mentzikof

So next week is here and still no sign of an update :(

John Aldred

well I suppose there are another 5 days for this to happen and won't it be amazing!

Colin Grant

I am surprised so many people have missed it but they have said within 4 days - so this week I guess. Still it is hardly early Feb now is it, but there-again the 3.0.2 release that has gone out in some countries seems as buggy as as ever, or so it is reported.

Ralf Wangemann

Rather ridiculous. I can't believe what Skylum is doing. Are they doing something? Yes they are still trying to keep teir customers patient. When the time of the annonced releasing of the Luminar 3 update ended, they starts another elapsing time. Come on Buddies do your job...

John Aldred

I have today (12 Feb) been informed it will be here by the END of NEXT week

Ralf Wangemann

@John Aldred  Really you did? Wow - I've been informed too, that the update will be released.  But five days ago! So it wil be last until next Monday or Friday, when we get the update, we longing for. Whether we do?  If Skylum talk no nonsense - respectively the ladies and guys respond on behalf of them in this community, then it will happen. So let's wait another while.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Here is some information on the coming update: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041735072-New-Luminar-update-is-coming-soon

Fitz Michael

I DONT WANT TO BE NEGATIVE BUT I DID NOT NOTICE ANY SPEED IMPROVEMENT

George Mentzikof

Same here.

Photo Developing speed not really improved. In fact it seems that it has become heavier.

DAM is indeed faster.

Photos now load after Sync but still takes long time.

Export is still very slow.

Please sign in to leave a comment.