Luminar 3 crashes, hangs, lacks important stuff...

Comments

3 comments

Marc Feldesman

Sadly, the 3.0.1 update is no more stable than the original 3.0.0 released two weeks ago.  First, some system specs:  mid 2017 iMac, 4.2GHz Core i7 (4 cores) processor, 64 GB RAM, Radeon 580 8 GB vRAM, 2 TB PCI-e SSD, plus a scratch 4 TB SSD (4 x 1 TB JBOD) disk for catalog.

Problems:  1.  Add Folder:  1640 images from mixed D500 and D850 lossless compressed NEF.  After 1 hour, I had to force quit out because the Quit button, while not greyed out, did nothing.  After reloading, only 340 images had been catalogued  (this performance is worse than the original update, where I had experimented with this same folder and had images read in and catalogued in 10 minutes.

2.  Whilst in Edit image of one of the 340 images catalogued, I decided to quit, blow away the catalog, and try reading in the folder again.  This time, the Quit was greyed out.  Trying to Quit from the toolbar did not work either.  Again, Force Quit was the only way out.

3.  Fuji XT-3 RAF files appear to be both supported and unsupported at the same time.  Only one can be true.  When read in, they look OK until you go into edit mode.  The pictures then briefly appear as whole, then they break up into a horizontally compressed photo that looks like a panorama except the image in squashed from top to bottom.  There is no way to recover the image at this point.  The only option is to Force Quit (because you're in the Edit panel), at which point the process starts all over again.

4.  Good news.  Exporting photos edited in Photoshop as PSD files now export rapidly, although that was not a major concert before.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Markus,

>>L3 crashes when I open a RAW file in Finder using "Open With Luminar". It crashes when I click "open with Aurora HDR" from inside Luminar Library. It hangs on many other occasions that I cannot reproduce now. I sent all reports to Apple so you should get them.

Sending crash reports to Apple does not automatically also send them to us. In the future, please note the exact steps that led to the crash and then send us the crash report at support@skylum.com.

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

>>Right now, I see the Luminar Splash Screen after restarting it (just crashed again), it doesn't get any further. I have to kill it the 100th time today.

This is a known issue and we'll fix it in the next update. It doesn't seem to be occurring every time Luminar is opened, so, should you encounter this issue again, fully quitting and restarting Luminar should help. If the splash screen won't go away after restarting Luminar, you can safely switch to Luminar's main window and work in it: we haven't had reports that doing this caused any issues. If you encounter any issues while working with the splash screen in the background, please do let us know.

• >>the Library, the main reason for me buying Luminar, lacks the single most important feature for  a photo management tool: tagging. How could you forget that??? Of course, tags have to be read from and written to XMP/IPTC data. To clarify: by tagging I mean using my own tags, like "Spain 2016", "beach", "rain", etc. And of course I need to be able to search them

Keywords will be coming to Luminar 3 in an upcoming update. You can see what we have planned here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

• >>the gapless display of photos in the library sucks. I don't see any info related to the pictures, lilke filename, folder, date, whatever, even if I click on a photo. When I hover over a photo, I see the star rating - oh well. You should really add an option to turn gapless display off and show photo meta info. Maybe even a group by folder feature or something

I will share this feedback with our developers.

• >>from time to time, performance dies. E.g. after returning from Edit to Library, the thumbnails are blurry and Luminar needs about 2 seconds for each thumbnail to regenerate. It is mostly unresponsive then. No other apps are running.

We're aware of the performance issues and will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Marc,

For problems 1 & 2 - please create a support ticket at Skylum.com/support

Issue 3 - Raw files from the X-T3 are not yet supported by Luminar.

Please sign in to leave a comment.