How can I create a copy of the photo?

Comments

13 comments

Michael Sonshine

I think you want a virtual copy so you can do different adjustments on each to see how they look. If I remember correctly Skylum said that that functionality would be in a future release, so as far as I know it is not possible with the current version or L3.

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

@Michael Sonshine is correct, virtual copies are coming later (https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap) but at the moment you can do one of the following:

1. Right-click the photo you wish to duplicate > Show In Explorer (Finder) > copy and paste the file in the file manager.
    2. Open the photo in Edit mode in Luminar > Add New Adjustment layer. Perform all the edits on the adjustment layer. To try another series of edits, disable the current adjustment layer to reset photo to its initial appearance, add a new adjustment layer, and perform the second editing pass on it.
    Zeljko Dakic

Thank you for your responses. I figured that as a long way around. Here is another wrinkle, if you have any creative idea how to go about it now.

Usually after I create copies, I want to save those images (make changes permanent). Is there a simple way to do that?

In the past, I would invoke Luminar or Creative Tools from Skylum on image in Lightroom and those would be applied to the image. I am trying to replicate this workflow.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Zeljko,

You can go to File > Export and save your image(s) as high resolution JPGs, TIFFs, etc.

Doug Hamilton

HI Angela, can the development team that is working on the Virtual Copies functionality please add two options: (1) to duplicate the original file and (2) to duplicate a selected variant? Also, keyboard shortcuts like Command-D would be very helpful.

Thanks

Kate Williams

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will make sure to forward them to our team. 

Tony Vischschraper

One feature that I really miss from Apple Photos is the ability to create a duplicate image and then revert that duplicate to original or simply change edits. I can make as many duplicates of an image as I want. Right-click, done. Your workaround is a long curve. Is there no way to adopt Apple's way of doing this? This is a big game-changer to me, and was one reason why I hesitated to make the jump to Luminar.  PLEASE?? :)

Helena Carter

Hi Tony,

I totally agree with you, it sounds like a really useful feature. I will forward your suggestion to our developers.

Luciano Stabel

Was this feature implemented on Luminar 4?

If so, where I can find it?

Lynne Pariseau

this is why I don't use their library function.   I offload my photos into dated folders.  then if I want to try different things, I can just make as many duplicates as I want and save them into the same file.  when I edit each one and want to keep it, I just keep the # of the photo and add a word to indicate how I edited it.

Lynne Pariseau

I should also mention that I use Luminar 4 as a plugin and that also eliminates problems with duplicating files.

Doug Hamilton

Thanks Lynne. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me because I'm starting my edit cycle with Capture One and then finishing in Luminar by applying different looks. I can then take back my preferred image or versions back into Capture One for storage. Being able to create different versions with different looks makes a somewhat tedious workflow slightly less awkward. Of course, the real solution would be for Skylum to create a plug-in for Capture One, haha. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lynne & Doug,

Unfortunately Virtual Copies have not yet been added to Luminar 4, but it is on our feature request list for future development.

Please sign in to leave a comment.