Updates

Comments

7 comments

K.G. Wuensch

I agree, Luminar 2018 was bad already (as I only found out now they are so idiotic to think an absolute setting can be applied at an arbitrary percentage - see white balance and filter strength) but Luminar 3 is an unmitigated disaster. I am a software developer myself and have managed big software releases - looking at the bug list I estimate the time to fix all the bugs found (many of which prevent further testing, in my ecperience there is at least another round of bugs of similar magnitude behind that wall) at 2-3 man years, some bugs are conceptually in nature though and IMHO require a complete redesign (the database design for example prevents a restore and you can‘t relocate images to another disk without forfitting all your edits)...

Comment actions Permalink
    Vance Zachary

Many of us would not agree with you that Luminar 2018 was bad. I would think most of the Luminar 3 bugs could be resolved within 12 months without re-writing the program completely. We will have to wait and see.

Rodney Brown

I have to agree with K. G. on the catalogue.  I can't believe they're creating a new file for every single edit done to an image.  That needs to be changed to a single sidecar to make the image+edit portable.

Thomas Mahnken

Agree to K.G. as well, and as a Luminar 2018 user since release in 2017 I find that version suffering from bad Performance as well.
    I'm not into programming, but it is almost certain that some problems are based in the core programming and the routines should be rewritten. Otherwise we will experience the same Problems in coming Versions multiplied by 2!
    Just my 2 cents...

Timo Schwaar

@vance L3 (win) is not more than a alpha-version. the next update will possibly make it to a beta-version. But the right final release we get maybe at end of 2019 :(

there are a lot of features not yet included to make it actual to a final release. :((((

Vance Zachary

@Timo I think you're right and may be a reason that Skylum decided not to charge Luminar 2018 owners for another year of updates.

Still Luminar 2018 for Windows is not bad but is still lacking now even after a year of updates compared to Mac version.

Also Luminar 3 for Windows is quite unstable and very lacking in features and, therefore, it may take a few years before many serious Lightroom users would consider Luminar Libraries for Windows a serious competitor to Adobe Lightroom's feature rich offering.

Timo Schwaar

@vance Yes, in near future will be Luminar a good alternate for LR (I hope so), the potential you can see today. But I don't like the way von Skylum, to sell a bad version. I hope the next update will fix the worst bugs. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.