No Photo Library After "Successful Install"

Comments

7 comments

Phillip Rodokanakis

There was another post on this forum from a user using iCloud for storage and who was experiencing similar frustrations to yours. From what I understand is that Luminar 3 uses an SQL database to store its catalog. I’m not sure that the SQL database can be updated via iCloud synchronization. Even if it could, you’d invariably run into synchronization delays.

If I were you, I’d try installing the Catalog file in a folder on one of your MACs that is NOT stored on iCloud and does NOT sync via iCloud. I’d also copy a few photos to a local folder on your drive and use that folder as the source of photos you import into Luminar,  just to test it out. If it works locally, then you know that iCloud is the problem.

My solution to using the same library with Luminar 3 on two different MACs, is to use an external SSD which I connect through USB-C to the MAC I want to use at a given time. Both the  photos and the Catalog must be saved on the external drive. This works well for me. Samsung makes the T-5, which is a very small 1 TB SSD. 

You don’t have to worry about Luminar 3 corrupting your photos. Once scanned into Luminar’s library, the original photos remain undisturbed in the folder you used to store them. The index and the photo edits are stored separately in Luminar’s Catalog. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Randy,

Did you point Luminar to the images on your iCloud Drive or the folder where you have them stored locally?

Randy Wachs

Thanks for the responses and question. Luminar is pointing to the default photo folder on my MacBook Pro. (It resides in the traditional folder hierarchy on my drive.) However, this holds complete files (not thumbnails). I use iCloud primarily for fast downloading of photos taken from my iPhone (and very occasional iPad snap). It also serves as a backup. I don’t see myself relying on an external hard drive containing another copy of  photos simply to use this software. That would add to tedium of keeping and organizing, not simplify it.

Phillip Rodokanakis

You only need an external drive if you plan on using the same Luminar photo library on multiple MACs. Otherwise, you can store your photos on the MACs hard drive, but DO NOT use the Photos app. Using the Photos app will present you with problems, if not now, in the future, and I don't mean problems related to Luminar. I mean problems with accessing your photos. I'm still stuck having thousands of photos in Aperture libraries that I need to export at some point because every time Apple releases a new version of the macOS, I'm afraid I will no longer be able to access my photos inside the Aperture database (Photos use a similar database scheme; I hope you keep separate copies of your RAW images). I've also run into synchronization problems with the Photos app, but I use multiple devices. I'm resigned to only using the Photos app for photos I take primarily on the iPhone. I need a more robust solution for the photos I shoot with my Canon DSLR, as I take many photos and each RAW photo is more than 30 MBs in size. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Randy,

Luminar should have no trouble reading the images in your Pictures folder (however it will not automatically read those in your Apple Photos library). We released a patch last weekend. If you haven't already, please install it and let me know if the issue persists.

Randy Wachs

I upgraded to build 2751 as soon as you released it. Unfortunately, this issue persists within 3.01 for me.

Denis Kotsee

Could you please try creating a folder somewhere on your computer, copy a few images into it and try adding it to Luminar? Does it add successfully? If it does, check the permissions on your Pictures folder: your user has to be able to both read and write to the folder.

Please sign in to leave a comment.