Comments

12 comments

Peter Holka

The same here!

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

There are various issues with L3 on Windows, some rather serious. That said, I have Luminar 3 running reasonable well on my aging desktop PC and on my Surface Pro 3. Note that one issue on Windows 10 is that L3 will not function properly without an active internet connection. Another issue, is that if you did not change it at initial launch, L3 put its catalog in the Pictures folder and begins indexing the photos in you have stored in that location. Problem with this is that all photos in this folder get sync'ed to the cloud. Since the L3  catalog creates 2 or 3 thumbnail JPG files for each of your photos, and those thumbnails all get sync'ed to the cloud. When you open your Windows Photos app, it is now cluttered with possibly thousands of thumbnails. I quickly changed this on my two machines.

Stephen Everett

Same here, very poor, unfortunately only reflects that programmers do not know what they are doing.

Juraj Dolanjski

Answers to Roy:
    I have active Internet connection. The software installed, but it will not run pact the splash screen that stays on for few seconds. There is no questions of Pictures, folders or anything as it simply does not run.
    Since, I have removed it and attempted to re-install from Installer version 1.533. Installation goes part of the way, gives an error and rolls back the installation.

That is it. My Luminar 2018 never had any issues on the same PC.

Dieter Craasmann

Luminar 3 is a nuisance, the installation was OK, but what followed was unbelievable.
    First it didn't start, after a couple tries and new starts of the computer it started.

I have a very good internet connection, but don't use any cloud and don't want to.

I opend a folder with 700 pictures, it took 2 hours before all of them where displayed as miniature picture..

I do not have the fastes PC, but never had trouble with photoshop cc and other programs.
    It has 24 GB ram, running fom an ssd, an AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860 Quad Core CPU Kaveri.

The next day I tried again, it didn't start at all, just hanging and using more and more
    resources like ram and cpu. After more than 20 minutes I broke it off. I tried again a
    couple times, but no change. I repaired the installation, no change.

So I uninstalled it and will only install it again, when Skylum is able to deliver a useful version.

Regards Dieter

David Hardin

I have about 4 TB of images on an external drive.  On setup, it took close to 18 hr to create the library.  Now each time I restart the program, it takes about an hour to refresh the library with any new files.  While it is doing this it just sits there displaying the splash screen.

YES, it is totally unusable at this point.

Heinz Wolf

I had similar issues and then removed the top folder from the library. Before it hung most of the time during startup showing the message "Reading file structure". Now I wondering whether there is any advantage of Luminar 3 over Luminar 2018 if I am not using the library. Do you think it makes even more sense to return to Luminar 2018? 

Juraj Dolanjski

Answer to Heinz,

I never get as far as you. The software just does not install or run.

My Luminar 2018 is great. I too do not care for Lightroom like catalogue or library of all my images, I never use it in Lightroom.

For me the "killer" is the fact that Luminar 3 stores catalogue on the Cloud. That means you must be connected all the time.

Skylum should perhaps provide a switch at the installation so that the software can be installed locally only or on the Cloud or give us Luminar 3 without the library.

Juraj Dolanjski

Attempted another re-install and this is what I get now:

Juraj Dolanjski

Great news today after receiving new link from Skylum, Luminar 3 installed on my PC, yeaa...

JEAN LOUIS CARVES

Luminar 3 did install properly on Windows 10 and was even able to launch ( Should I mention it ?) ! 

I got the screen where you could set up your Luminar catalog et your images directory and I did it.

And that's where I stopped because there was no way to go further, no button to press and no message.

I've uninstalled Luminar 3 and reinstalled Luminar 2018

I will follow this thread and wait till this big issue is fixed or claim for upgrade reimbursement

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jean,

On Windows 8 / 10:

1. Close Luminar.
    2. Right-click any empty space on your desktop > Display settings.
    3. In the window that opens, set the Change the size of text, apps, and other items dropdown to 100%.
    4. Start Luminar 3 and finish the setup wizard. You can safely change the display scaling back to its initial value after this.

On Windows 7:

1. Close Luminar.
    2. Click the Start button.
    3. Type Display in the Search box.
    4. Click Display in the Control Panel section of the results.
    5. In a window that opens, set the scaling value to 100% and check if you can see all the controls in Luminar.

Please sign in to leave a comment.